Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it?

Go down 
+7
G, F#, E
homesickjameswilliamson
Nadja
zeke
JW82
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Borntohula
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Borntohula

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2007-02-28

Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it? Empty
PostSubject: Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it?   Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 1:00 am

This is how I react on listening to them playing it with the saxophone... affraid
They're on making another album and playing the best Raw power stuff. I am so in love with them What a Face
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it?   Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 8:05 am

Sorry, the new Raw Power version sucks.

It sounds like it on a loop. and all the insturments play the same thing the ENTIRE song !

Glad they didn't play it when I saw them in NYC a couple months ago ! Search & Destroy and I Gotta Right, both kickass though !
Back to top Go down
Borntohula

PostSubject: Re: Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it?   Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 1:45 pm

JSLTS: I'm not sure how to respond. But seriously, take a listen to the song itself, from the album or any live material, and you'll hear the riff on loop through the whole song. Maybe that could be the reason why eh. Like you put it. It sounded like on a loop the whole song.
It could be that you don't like the song itself, but if you do. That argument of yours sinks like shit with stones.

The sax plays the solo parts, but since the sound is a joke on youtube together with the fact that recorded material itself doesn't allow that much besides distorted noise. It cannot be jugded soley on such grounds.
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2008-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it?   Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 5:19 pm

I am quite not used to the chorus. Sounds unusual..like a loop LOL Smile But overall, the 'remake' (as I called it) is interesting Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tosterhead/music
zeke

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2007-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it?   Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 5:53 pm

i like the riff, but its obviously a un rehearsed thrash of the main riff. expect it to evolve into the real thing by the time they tour again. scotts drums always make this song . he plays it better than any drummer ive heard. minimal, but effective. as for the sax. i think its great..
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it?   Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 6:05 pm

yeh, like the sax
and JW82, I like your use of the word 'remake' Wink
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it?   Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 6:07 pm

i have to admit, i thought/think the same, it sounds like its on a loop, and the chorus is a bit weird, bt im gunna wait to make my decision when i hear a properly recorded thing, or (hopefully) hear it live!!

tho i agree with zeke, scott kicks ass playin it, only way to hear it!

i couldnt really hear the sax, im gunna relisten and post what i think of it
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it?   Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 7:24 pm

Yes, what I mean is -- The chorus is missing -- Raw Power is sure to come runnin' to you !

WHERE IS THAT PART ? I love the guitar part of that song dearest. But this is such a let down ! :'( c'mon guys ! It could be way better then this !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it?   Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 10:22 pm

can't judge it from the youtube recording..
also my experience that live > much more happening with the sound.

To me already the fact that Stooges played 2 songs from the Raw Power album this year is the greatest gift cheers
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it?   Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 11:07 pm

I am incredibly glad Ron has agreed to do it - it proves he is even more of an awesome guy. BUT the "remake" (I think thats a great way to describe it JW82) sounds more like "Cold Metal", this it has to be said is Iggy's fault though. Like JLTS said, "Where is the chorus?!"

I love the version of "I Got A Right" and I'd love to here Ron's solo parts in "Search And Destroy" if he used wah on it. How kick ass would that sound?
Back to top Go down
neven

Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it?   Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 11:15 pm

i think it's strange they're playing r.p. at the last 2 shows of the tour.would have been better they started the tour with more different songs to keep it interesting after 5 years! i mean the coachella set is still the basis of the setlist!
i'm glad r.p.,s&d and i got a right are played though i think a saxophone with r.p. sacks uh...sucks.by the way a keyboard with r.p.also sucks.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

PostSubject: Re: Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it?   Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 11:20 pm

I like the sax and I don't know abut the keyboard, I thought that Scott Thurston's piano work goes really well with it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it?   Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 05, 2008 11:31 pm

G, F#, E wrote:
I am incredibly glad Ron has agreed to do it - it proves he is even more of an awesome guy. BUT the "remake" (I think thats a great way to describe it JW82) sounds more like "Cold Metal", this it has to be said is Iggy's fault though. Like JLTS said, "Where is the chorus?!"

I love the version of "I Got A Right" and I'd love to here Ron's solo parts in "Search And Destroy" if he used wah on it. How kick ass would that sound?
what way do you mean by it's iggy's fault GFE..cuz what you said earlier by making Ron play it ?? (which i refuse to accept cuz Ron's not a Sissy) or do you mean Iggy has a 'Cold Metal' idea how the music should be played and only wants it to be played like that?

The versions I heard live of I Got a Right and Search..sounded almost perfect to me in the gig. The plain straight sound...the sound of these songs were standing out in the gigs. Dunno if a wah would ad something. A new 'register' would be opened up ..dunno.

The sax with the Stooges songs is so powerful...really love that also for RP.
Keyboard...hm..is growin on me...but only with Thurston!

Last edited by ZinZin on Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it?   Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 12:19 am

i dont think its iggys fault at all, i think if anythin its ron's, course im not blaming him for a worse sound or anything, but the 'remake', as we're calling it, is different from the original, and i think ron, being the musical center of the group (where the riffs come from i guess - cecpt for bass)i think you should - i u were goin to - blame him for wanting to change it to the new way
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it?   Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 12:32 am

Yes, I agree with homesick. If anything is Ron. I love Ron of course !

But, if he wanted to play the riff the correct way, then by damn sure - He'd play it that way.

So, no one to blame, but I wish Ron would decide to play it like the original. It's still a stooges song. And you don't see him mixing up the original songs HE wrote, do ya ?

Cheers !
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it?   Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 11:52 am

G, F#, E wrote:
I'd love to here Ron's solo parts in "Search And Destroy" if he used wah on it. How kick ass would that sound?

Smile
Back to top Go down
Borntohula

PostSubject: Re: Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it?   Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 3:29 pm

Seriously. How has the riff changed you say? I think it sounds exactly the same.
What the live versions are missing are half of the chorus, the screamy solos and the piano bits.
If they bring some extended sax into play and the "can you feel it" in a good recording. It'd be another couple of balls to the sack Stooges allready has.
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it?   Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 5:56 pm

I disagree.

Sorry, im just very "let down" with this version of such a great song.
Back to top Go down
Lucas

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2008-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it?   Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 7:39 am

You're a conservative!

It might be the concession Ron did; "Okay, I'll play it, but I will do it my way. We're not a fucking coverband."

Or something like that

I think it souns more like the first two albums this way. But I agree with the one who stated that the main difference is the way it is sung
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

PostSubject: Re: Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it?   Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 7:21 pm

ZinZin wrote:
what way do you mean by it's iggy's fault GFE..cuz what you said earlier by making Ron play it ?? (which i refuse to accept cuz Ron's not a Sissy) or do you mean Iggy has a 'Cold Metal' idea how the music should be played and only wants it to be played like that?

Well its defienetly not Ron's fault. Iggy is just shouting the words "raw power" rather than singing "Raw power is to come, a, runnin' to you". So its not Ron's fault that theres no chorus also the way Iggy shouts the words "raw power" is very similar to the way he shouts "cold metal" on Cold Metal.

I'm fed up of everyone blaming Ron you should thank him enough that hes agreed to play two songs he never played guitar on originally and probably doesn't enjoy playing very much. Iggy has to blamed sometimes rather than Ron (who seems to be a Stooges scapegoat for "fans" who justify it by saying they love him) and it is Iggy's fault there is no chorus in this version of "Raw Power"
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it?   Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 7:32 pm

Yes, but at that chorus, there is a guitar/bass change. a few single notes. ( -- Listen to the original record, you'll know what im talking about) then towards the end, it goes into the "can you feel it" part, and theres a guitar/bass change there aswell... like it moves a couple frets. Ya'know what im trying to say right ??
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

PostSubject: Re: Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it?   Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 7:40 pm

JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES wrote:
Yes, but at that chorus, there is a guitar/bass change. a few single notes. ( -- Listen to the original record, you'll know what im talking about) then towards the end, it goes into the "can you feel it" part, and theres a guitar/bass change there aswell... like it moves a couple frets. Ya'know what im trying to say right ??

Suspect I do play guitar - and thats not the first time I've mentioned it on this forum. I'm also in a band...where I write all the songs and sing them. So yes, I do understand the complicated concepts of "frets" and "notes".

Hurray for being patronised! Rolling Eyes

Iggy's not singing the chorus though, if he did it would make all the difference.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it?   Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 9:53 pm

wow, thats weird G, reading that, amean i feel that iggy is blamed for a lot of stuff, and is - as unbelievable as it may seem - underrated in terms of stooges, just an observation u'no

but i dunno, im gunna wait til theres a better recording and/or hear it live (really hopin for that second one!!)

but i have to admit that i think it sounds odd, though i dont think its anyones 'fault' iggy or ron, i think its james' - and its nothin you can blame on him, its just that no one can play raw power the way james played raw power, he had that ''raw power'' inside him, i believe

but i do think that the musical side of it, leaving the chorus out or watever it is, is down to ron, hence (if we're using the word) blaming him for that

but i agree G the vocals are also important, and have been changed, the melody i mean, iggys changed that, sounds more weirdnessy now i think
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it?   Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 9:58 pm

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
, amean i feel that iggy is blamed for a lot of stuff, and is - as unbelievable as it may seem - underrated in terms of stooges, just an observation u'no

Iggy is underrated?? don't understand that!

also G, in relation to your earlier post...not everyone blames Ron. I sure as hell don't. I live in absolute AWE of the guy Bow Down

geek
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it?   Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 10:11 pm

i meant people almost neglect him, amean we all have our favourite stooges (mine being iggy) - yours being ron nadja - but i think ppl think of it as Iggy and the Stooges, i dunno it just comes across as being a stooges forum, and iggys 30 yr career is a sideline or something

as far as im concerned, if oyu like one, you ike the other, unless you dont like the particular musical trend iggy adopted for a certian album, but you'll probly still appreciate it

anyway, yeh i think in terms of what the stooges do, iggy is seen as not adding much but lyrics, where as i see it as a whole band approach, u'no all contributers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it?   Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Them playing Raw power now. What you think about it?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next