Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Metallic KO revew

Go down 
+8
neven
MJG196
Pierre2Grenoble
rabid_fish
jerrythebarman
Billy
heavy liquid
Donald
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Donald

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2007-11-22

Metallic KO revew Empty
PostSubject: Metallic KO revew   Metallic KO revew Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2008 1:38 pm

I can't remember whether this has been posted already so here goes

Metallic KO revew Oldpics002
Back to top Go down

Metallic KO revew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metallic KO revew   Metallic KO revew Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2008 1:59 pm

Wooohooooh
oh my...LOVE IT!

The lyrics sounding spicier and more violent...written down like this.

Thnx for posting Donald.
Back to top Go down
heavy liquid
Admin
heavy liquid

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2007-02-26

Metallic KO revew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metallic KO revew   Metallic KO revew Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2008 12:34 pm

Yeah, thanks for posting!

Billy

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2010-12-02

Metallic KO revew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metallic KO revew   Metallic KO revew Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 6:40 pm

Thats great. Was looking at Wikipedia's Metallic K.O article and seen this -

Quote :
Musical style ..
The album is notable for Iggy Pop's vulgar rendition of "Louie, Louie", which deviates widely from the song's original lyrics. Overall, the playing on the album is ragged, and during "Rich Bitch" the band go out of time with each other, having to be coached back into the song by Iggy - "Gimme just the drums! It's the only way you're ever gonna get it right, take it down to the drums!". He then counts the other players back into the beat. In addition to long-time Stooges members Pop, Ron Asheton (bass guitar), Scott Asheton (drums), and Williamson (guitar), the line-up on the album features Scott Thurston on piano, who had become an official member of the band by this point.

The band go out of time with each other? I don't think this author is much of a Stooges authority.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metallic_K.O.
Back to top Go down
jerrythebarman

jerrythebarman

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-04-26

Metallic KO revew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metallic KO revew   Metallic KO revew Icon_minitimeSun Jan 09, 2011 10:41 pm

I first read that review when it was reprinted in one of the old Hot Wacks bootleg discographies, implying of course that it was actually a boot. I was so intrigued by the review (think I was about 14, this would have been '79 or so) that I went out and bought it-so Metallic K.O. was the first Stooges album I actually heard. To my young, impressionable ears it seemed so ramshackle, but I quickly grew to love it, mostly for it's sheer badassedness and the rest, as they say, is history. I did a report on Iggy in Grade 9 English class and to conclude I played the Metallic K.O. version of Louie Louie. The teacher and my classmates were dumbfounded. In retrospect, it would have made more sense to play Search and Destroy or something but I guess I thought I was being cool, what with the dirty lyrics and all.
Back to top Go down
rabid_fish

rabid_fish

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2009-09-19

Metallic KO revew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metallic KO revew   Metallic KO revew Icon_minitimeMon Jan 10, 2011 3:11 am

the last rock and roll concert. PERIOD!-- gods, the stooges are gods
Back to top Go down
Pierre2Grenoble

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-08-19

Metallic KO revew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metallic KO revew   Metallic KO revew Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 1:01 am

Billy wrote:
Thats great. Was looking at Wikipedia's Metallic K.O article and seen this -

Quote :
Musical style ..
The album is notable for Iggy Pop's vulgar rendition of "Louie, Louie", which deviates widely from the song's original lyrics. Overall, the playing on the album is ragged, and during "Rich Bitch" the band go out of time with each other, having to be coached back into the song by Iggy - "Gimme just the drums! It's the only way you're ever gonna get it right, take it down to the drums!". He then counts the other players back into the beat. In addition to long-time Stooges members Pop, Ron Asheton (bass guitar), Scott Asheton (drums), and Williamson (guitar), the line-up on the album features Scott Thurston on piano, who had become an official member of the band by this point.

The band go out of time with each other? I don't think this author is much of a Stooges authority. .

@Billy,

Nevertheless, it's the truth! James Williamson missed an eighth in this goddamn riff during this fucking good song. But who cares! This song is incredible, one of my favorites!

Let me explain: I play drums and I really love Scott's playing! At that time (1977), my band decided to play Rich Bitch and for training purpose and my own curiosity, I decided to transcribe the drums part. Focusing on the riff as a tempo reference, I discovered that James missed an eighth. If you carefully listen how he plays, you can think his playing is far creative and really shrewd. I would have loved playing with such a guitarist.

Iggy, as a former drummer, could not missed that! So he asked anyone to keep track of the tempo. Give me just the drums!

On another hand, I was also surprised to read an interview from Larry Mullins saying that Iggy was quite directive and did not allow so much fantasy from his playing. Maybe because he unwittingly needs to keep track of the tempo. But this is another story.
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2007-02-26

Metallic KO revew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metallic KO revew   Metallic KO revew Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 11:02 am

I know we've talked about this before, but KO has been mentioned a lot on the forum...so I'll ask again:

Which is the best CD version of Metallic KO? My wallet is waiting for the answer... Basketball
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
neven

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Metallic KO revew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metallic KO revew   Metallic KO revew Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 12:43 pm

the best version is yet to come since none of the releases are from michael tipton's masters
I believe the french metallic 2x k.o.has the best sound.
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

Metallic KO revew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metallic KO revew   Metallic KO revew Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 1:22 pm

neven wrote:
the best version is yet to come since none of the releases are from michael tipton's masters

Yup French Skydog 2xKO CD for me too. I bought and sold the Jungle remaster CD after comparing.
Back to top Go down
jpstooges

jpstooges

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Metallic KO revew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metallic KO revew   Metallic KO revew Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 2:41 pm

mc wrote:
neven wrote:

Yup French Skydog 2xKO CD for me too. I bought and sold the Jungle remaster CD after comparing.
The Skydog 1988 CD is good, but the corresponding 2-LP set has a smoother sound (less mid-range/more bass).
Sample (38 s of CD, then 30 s of LP):

Back to top Go down
Pierre2Grenoble

Metallic KO revew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metallic KO revew   Metallic KO revew Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 7:42 pm

I have the 2xLP from Skydog (1988 edition) and the EP too (1977 if memory serves). The latter contains missing titles (Gimme Danger and Heavy Liquid). As this EP does also contain I got nothing, I could compare sound quality for this track and I can say that the EP sounds even better.

I listened the sample from jpstooges above (thanks) and I compared with the Jungle 2007 edition on Deezer.com (a French online music service maybe reachable from USA). I think the last Jungle edition is far better: listen to the guy (Iggy?) shooting between 00:09 and 00:12 and saying at last something like "you fuckin' pricks"; more important, listen to the balance between drums, piano and guitar.

I took this opportunity to measure the famous pitch gap as I haven't found any value about this, just someone here (maybe seventeen) saying that Skydog edition was slower. Yes, that's true but how much? So few IMHO: about 1 second par minute.

I had not even noticed this pitch gap till I read about it here. So if I would buy an additional edition, it would be the Jungle 2007 one for its better sound quality.

I found some deals on French market about the famous 2xCD edition from Skydog. Does anyone have accurate information about it (release date, ASIN/ISBN code, etc.)? Many of these deals talk about 2006 or 2007 for the release year but as far as I understand it was also circa 1988: right? I cannot check on Skydog Website, it seems to have been put under maintenance for a long while. Other information on the Net (Wikepedia, Amazon and so on) remains unreliable and sometimes contradictory.
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

Metallic KO revew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metallic KO revew   Metallic KO revew Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 9:17 pm

The Skydog CD I have is from 1988 - SKI 62232-2 to me this has a more smooth analog sound than the Jungle which has too much treble.

Listening to that LP sample I find it actually lacks trable and a bit of detail so for me the Skydog CD is a nice balance between the LP and the Jungle.

I never heard the Munster CD or LP so can't tell you about those.

Back to top Go down
msteeln

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2010-01-08

Metallic KO revew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metallic KO revew   Metallic KO revew Icon_minitimeSat Aug 20, 2011 9:48 pm

After reading Killer Kane's mention of KO being "the comedy album of the year", I knew I had to find it and at the end of '77 in Honolulu I got one of the most influencial recordings ever. And the music is good too. The X2 LP has the full volume start of Raw Power instead of the usual fade in. Great review!
Back to top Go down
Pierre2Grenoble

Metallic KO revew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metallic KO revew   Metallic KO revew Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 2:05 am

Ya, the 2xLP rocks and sounds good.

I cannot post URL yet because I have to wait to be 7 days old in the forum Smile But I would like someone to confirm that sound of Jungle and Munster releases is really as bad as the samples we can hear on Amazon.com and Greatsong.net. I will provide links next week.

I am sorry if this has been already clarified but is there a 2-CD edition from Skydog, as the one from Jungle but with the original sound mixing from the 2-LP version?

I ask because I think I have misinterpreted seventeen's feedback when he was saying in the post "The original Metallic KO album... (was) lost in the past Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:24 pm": On the Skydog x 2 CD, it's neatly segued with I got nothing, so you get the feeling the song just stops, and they go into another.".

I believed there was a 2-CD release from Skydog, with the same track-list and order as the one from Jungle. But this does not make sense because seventeen was talking about a segue between Open up and bleed and I got noting even though these two tracks were not played during the same gig. So seventeen should be talking about the 1-CD from 1988.

I may have been wrong and I have been looking for a very rare 2-CD edition while it remains quite easy to find the Skydog 1-CD edition on European market. Not so easy but possible. So not so rare here!

Thanks in advance to help me to clarify and not to blame me Smile

Back to top Go down
INeedSomebody

INeedSomebody

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-08-02

Metallic KO revew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metallic KO revew   Metallic KO revew Icon_minitimeSun Aug 21, 2011 2:29 pm

Thank you to Donald for posting the above review. Much appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Metallic KO revew Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metallic KO revew   Metallic KO revew Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metallic KO revew
Page 1 of 1