Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What would be the "Holy Grail"...

Go down 
+22
Chemmy
gazatthebop
Cato
studioguy
Stranger09
freemind
Monger
pernil
Iguanas
berlinberlin
Shakes
regufr
neven
G, F#, E
Nadja
adams66
Paul T
TED
mc
Loose1969
homesickjameswilliamson
james matlock
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
james matlock

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-10-16

What would be the "Holy Grail"... Empty
PostSubject: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 11:21 pm

...of lost iggy recordings?

In light of the flood of releases via Easy Action etc, what do you think would be the most significant "lost" recording?
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 11:27 pm

including stooges? gotta be i dunno, decent 1971 stuff, known holy grails? unganos and debut album outtakes/sessions/leftovers, oh, well acutally, if we're talkin holy grail stuff, im sure its the unrecorded, and unrecordable, the really early stuff, that would be great to hear, al that ukelele and microphone in blender crap that'd'b sweet, but i think ur talkin unganos or 69 stuff!
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 11:47 pm

Pristine quality live recordings from 1969-70. Period.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 12:18 am

Has to be 1st album live stuff for me. I mean Funhouse was pretty much as played live, so while I'm sure Ungano's will be great, shit if someone had live early recordings of Ann, Real Cool Time, I wanna be your Dog, etc it'd be the sweetest Christmas ever!
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 12:44 am

true, good point mc! funhouse is live, and it wouldve been played like that, and we even have some recordings of it live, 1970 stuff i mean, but 69 and esp 68 would be amazing!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 1:07 am

wieeeuww... I would really go fast for a decent recording of loud noise violent '67 'gig' they played at
Ron Richardsons house on Halloween. Where they destroyed the instruments.
Stooges first public performance!!!
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 1:09 am

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
true, good point mc! funhouse is live, and it wouldve been played like that, and we even have some recordings of it live, 1970 stuff i mean, but 69 and esp 68 would be amazing!

Problem is, the live recordings we have of the Fun House era are shit quality.

I want some 1969 and 1970 shows in perfect sound. I'm a greedy bastard. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 1:26 am

Agreed, I just can't listen to Soldier Field, too shitty. Do you think they played the 69 live stuff as slow as it is on the LP?

Yeah 67/68 noise would be great.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 2:44 am

yeh, i was just talkin in a ''least we have them" kinda thing, but yeh they're unlisteable

totally correct on the 69/70 front and perfect, nt even perfect sound just enuff to hear nuances in the sound, different lyrics, different changes musically whatever , decent qaulty

esp 69, for history i think it would be best
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 2:47 am

Yeah, unfortunately what little we have sounds like the band was filtered through a dog's asshole before reaching the listener. We deserve better, dammit!

And yeah...let's start with 1969, and move on up from there. Why not?
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 2:51 am

why not indeed!

hope easyation has some nuggets for us, hope they can get these things, what are we waiting on, unganos and asthma attack? hope they get a release!
Back to top Go down
TED
A funhouse boy will steal your heart away
TED

Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 12:24 pm

I would love to hear the original Kill City tapes
and the Kings Cross theatre gig.
Also a complete Stooges 1st album recording.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 3:20 pm

totally forgot about the original kill city tapes, those would be amazing to hear!

what did simon or garunkel or elton john call it, oh yeh, they ''rocked like a motherfucker" lol - that you've gotta hear!

and kings cross would be brilliant to hear

(also watchin how i met your mother atm, and i wanna be your dog is on! pretty long use of it too, so cool, love this programme, love that song!)
Back to top Go down
Paul T

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-03-23

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 5:34 pm

There'd hae to be a few, wouldn't there.

Kill City, original mix, would be top of my list, too.

Plus ALL the first version of the Stooges debut, with freakouts on every song.

and one could add the early mixes of Soldier, with Steve New's guitar, plus the rude version of PLay It Safe.
And Avenue B without all the horribel cocktail jazz overdubs.
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 6:57 pm

I'd like to hear more of the moody and atmospheric music that Iggy recorded for The Brave, snippets of which surfaced behind some of the monologues of Avenue B.
And good quality recordings of the Blah-Blah-Blah demos, and more of the original Party sessions which included cracking tracks like "Brakes On".
But top of my list too would be the original Kill City tapes. I've said it before but a remastered Kill City with both the finished album and the original recordings would be simply fantastic!
What are the chances I wonder?

Cheers,

Richard
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 6:59 pm

mc wrote:
Has to be 1st album live stuff for me. I mean Funhouse was pretty much as played live, so while I'm sure Ungano's will be great, shit if someone had live early recordings of Ann, Real Cool Time, I wanna be your Dog, etc it'd be the sweetest Christmas ever!

I agree
Back to top Go down
james matlock

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-10-16

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 8:57 pm

How about the "acoustic" Kill City demo tape JW and JO did for John Cale that Paul mentions in his book?
Back to top Go down
TED
A funhouse boy will steal your heart away
TED

Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 10:11 pm

That would be nice ....... backed with the 'rockin' one
Art Garfunkel mentioned.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 7:22 pm

The Kings Cross gig, good quality 1971 stuff and a decent sounding 1969 gig.

And if we're talking about stuff which is defently out there, the Kill City tapes and "Asthma Attack".
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 7:25 pm

i thought the kill city tapes were lost forever?
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 7:30 pm

I've heard they're floating around. I don't think they'd have been destroyed, they'll be somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Paul T

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 11:17 pm

I've emailed the person James WIlliamson thought might have them... but for various reasons I doubt the tapes are there.
Back to top Go down
neven

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 11:03 pm

adams66 wrote:
I'd like to hear more of the moody and atmospheric music that Iggy recorded for The Brave, snippets of which surfaced behind some of the monologues of Avenue B.
And good quality recordings of the Blah-Blah-Blah demos, and more of the original Party sessions which included cracking tracks like "Brakes On".
But top of my list too would be the original Kill City tapes. I've said it before but a remastered Kill City with both the finished album and the original recordings would be simply fantastic!

Cheers,

Richard
kill city tapes were send out to cecordcompanies in 1975 so they must exist.2 different mixes appeared on a 2cd compilation ''original punks''.on a revenge cd of kill city is also another mix on 1 track.
maybe you or paul can ask james williamson?
Back to top Go down
regufr

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-05-02

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 04, 2008 11:46 pm

For me the "Holy Grail" would be a soundboard recording of a live 1971 recording set with You Don't Want My Name, I Need You/Fresh rag, Who Do You Love... all these tracks that have never been recorded properly Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Paul T

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 12:08 am

neven wrote:
adams66 wrote:

Cheers,

Richard
kill city tapes were send out to cecordcompanies in 1975 so they must exist.2 different mixes appeared on a 2cd compilation ''original punks''.on a revenge cd of kill city is also another mix on 1 track.
maybe you or paul can ask james williamson?

I did. And I emailed the person he thought had the tapes. I got a reply tonight... it sounds like they are in existence.

As you know, these things can take months/years to appear... but i'll continue to make a few calls.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What would be the "Holy Grail"...   What would be the "Holy Grail"... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What would be the "Holy Grail"...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next