Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson

Go down 
+8
jpod
StoogesMySpaceAdmin
sheddy
Nadja
Gimme some skin
homesickjameswilliamson
JW82
Paul T
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Paul T

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-03-23

Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson Empty
PostSubject: Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson   Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 11:15 pm

Stooges fans will know of Jimmy Silver, the band's manager from 1968-1970 - he was the guy who sorted out their Elektra deal, and was nursemaid to the band throughout their early career.

Scott RIchardson was singer with the Chosen Few, the legendary garage band who opened the Grande and included both Ron Asheton and James WIlliamson.

Jimmy and Scott both called to pay tribute to Ron, and their comments are here:

http://www.trynka.net/Site/Open_Up_Blog/121F64D5-528E-4E0F-B512-E6878ECF9180.html

There is a MOJO tribute to Ron in the current issue, which includes some of their comments, plus James Williamson and others. I'll put that on my website once the issue is off sale.
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2008-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson   Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 11:44 pm

Thanx! Besides their tribute to Ron, I was really surprised to read Jimmy Silver's opinion on Scott, that he was surly Shocked At least he didn't seem to behave like that in interviews (in my opinion, but probably because he rarely spoke haha) Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tosterhead/music
Paul T

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson   Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 12:39 am

Remember that in 68 the Stooges were young guys.... Jimmy Silver was more worldly, from a more establishment background (his dad worked in the Lydon Johnson administration), someone that Ron looked up to...

Jimmy's opinion was rather like Scott Thurston's and others, that the Stooges were unworldly. That's what Iggy's lyrics picked up on in songs like 1969 or No Fun.

Scott is lovely, but even today he'll say that he "doesn't really talk". He doesn't need to.

I thought Scott Richardson's comments were really profound, particulalry in regard to how important Ron was in the Stooges, compared to Iggy. Not to decry Iggy.. but to credit ROn as the one who created their sound.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson   Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 1:04 am

thought i already posted, guess i have to again, sorry if theres two posts, basically just wanted to say thanks paul for sharing, they were good to read, especially Scott Richardson's comments

thanks
Back to top Go down
Gimme some skin

Number of posts : 349
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson   Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 1:57 am

Was Ron really ultra conservative?
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson   Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 12:34 pm

Paul T wrote:
Remember that in 68 the Stooges were young guys.... Jimmy Silver was more worldly, from a more establishment background (his dad worked in the Lydon Johnson administration),

did he ever finish his PhD?

thanks for this, good to read tributes from those two
Back to top Go down
sheddy

sheddy

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson   Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 1:37 pm

Great stuff.

And that's a fantastic tribute in MOJO!
Just bought it.
Back to top Go down
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2007-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson   Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 2:33 pm

Thanks Paul.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/iggyandthestooges
jpod

jpod

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2007-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson   Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 4:14 pm

Just got Mojo after readin this thread.

Great article & pics.

cheers paul.

Interesting that Iggy mentions having "smoke on the water" as his ringtone. As there's more than a passing similarity with Loose! O'course Loose predates Smoke by couple years....
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

PostSubject: Re: Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson   Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 6:17 pm

jpod wrote:
Interesting that Iggy mentions having "smoke on the water" as his ringtone

Freaking Out OMG please, not this piece of crap! How 'bout some Monty Python tune or 'Yakety Sax' ( the Benny Hill theme )? Laughing Suprising, but maybe he said that as a joke..Suspect Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jpod

jpod

PostSubject: Re: Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson   Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 7:36 pm

Dude!
are u trying to say that Iggy DOESN'T like the Purple. thats surely not possible!
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

PostSubject: Re: Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson   Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 8:01 pm

jpod wrote:
Dude!
are u trying to say that Iggy DOESN'T like the Purple. thats surely not possible!
Very Happy

Of course he can like Purple or anything else, even Garth Brooks, Eskimo music or e.g. rave music Very Happy Myself can't stand 'Smoke On The Water' (or other songs like that) -> I was just surprised to hear it, that's all Smile
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson   Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 8:22 pm

i remember hearing a rumour smoke on the water was based on loose or somethig like that, though i like the 'it came to roger glover in his sleep" telling of it
Back to top Go down
Gimme some skin

PostSubject: Re: Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson   Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 8:48 pm

I hate playing Loose and having someone tell me 'Hey that's the smoke on the water riff!'

*I mean playing as in putting the song on. It's even funnier when I play it on guitar: 'Hey that's smoke on the water, but you're playing it all wrong.'
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

PostSubject: Re: Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson   Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 9:34 pm

Gimme some skin wrote:
I hate playing Loose and having someone tell me 'Hey that's the smoke on the water riff!'

*I mean playing as in putting the song on. It's even funnier when I play it on guitar: 'Hey that's smoke on the water, but you're playing it all wrong.'

Laughing yeah especially people who don't play instruments say stuff like that -> in case of 'smoke on the water' I would ask the guy: 'hey man, are you fuckin' Ritchie Blackmore or what?' Very Happy
Back to top Go down
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2007-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson   Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 10:28 pm

Deep Purple In Rock is a great album. Just sayin'
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/iggyandthestooges
Angusyd van Hyman

Angusyd van Hyman

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2008-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson   Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 10:33 pm

I agree.
Back to the topic : thank you Paul for putting the MOJO tribute on your site !
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson   Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson Icon_minitimeMon Feb 02, 2009 11:38 pm

Gimme some skin wrote:

Bwahahahaha!!! Laughing Laughing

I had to put up with the same shit when I introduced my band to Stooges stuff. "Smoke On The Water" my ass, I'd tell them. THIS is the song Deep Purple ripped off, dudes!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

PostSubject: Re: Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson   Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 12:16 am

StoogesMySpaceAdmin wrote:
Deep Purple In Rock is a great album. Just sayin'

I also have In Rock and agree that it is a good album. I know that Deep Purple did a lot of classic stuff. I only wanted to say that their only song I can't stand is 'Smoke On The Water'..dunno why..maybe cuz I am not their fan..Smile
Back to top Go down
heavy liquid
Admin
heavy liquid

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson   Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 6:15 am

Smoke on the Water?!?! WTF?!?!

Fuck, some people are stupid. Rolling Eyes

jpod

PostSubject: Re: Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson   Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 11:04 am

Sorry for bringing this off-topic but i guess it struck a nerve!

Smoke on the water is just one of those big rock songs thats so overplayed. i mean i love led zep but if i never had to hear Stairway to Heaven again... it'd be too soon. Very Happy

Yeah I dont think i noticed the similarity with Loose until i was playin it on guitar and someone said "you trying to play Smoke on the Water?"
Grrrrrrrr!
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

PostSubject: Re: Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson   Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 4:04 pm

jpod wrote:

Smoke on the water is just one of those big rock songs thats so overplayed. i mean i love led zep but if i never had to hear Stairway to Heaven again... it'd be too soon. Very Happy

Yeah I dont think i noticed the similarity with Loose until i was playin it on guitar and someone said "you trying to play Smoke on the Water?"
Grrrrrrrr!

It didn't struck a nerve at all. It's fun to see people's opinion Smile But you used the perfect term that describes 'Smoke On The Water' -> it is overplayed .period. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson   Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 5:30 pm

jpod wrote:

Grrrrrrrr!

No worries! I just think it's funny a hell. I'm also a Zep fan, but I too can do without Stairway. Some songs start out good enough, then the damn radio wrecks it by playing the song over and over a million times. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson   Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 12:01 am

I used to love 'Smoke on the Water'. I went off it though.
Back to top Go down
Gimme some skin

PostSubject: Re: Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson   Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 1:35 am

It's an alright song by an alright band.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson   Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tributes to Ron from Jimmy Silver and Scott Richardson
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next