Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

JW on joining the Stooges in late 1970

Go down 
+6
G, F#, E
Paul T
sweet_sixteen
JW82
Rigsby
pernil
10 posters
AuthorMessage
pernil

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-09-03

JW on joining the Stooges in late 1970 Empty
PostSubject: JW on joining the Stooges in late 1970   JW on joining the Stooges in late 1970 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 9:29 pm

Some unused stuff from an interview w. James W. in 2002...

You joined the Stooges in late 1970 after Billy Cheatham withdrew to work as a roadie again. Can you pinpoint more exactly when it happened? I don’t think you played too many shows with the Stooges in 1970. Can you confirm?

JW: I’ll take your word for the exact month and date, but after I had finished night school to complete high school, I moved up to Ann Arbor to live. I had been in juvie many years prior to that during the Chosen Few days. Eventually, I moved into a big old house where Bill Cheatham, Zeke Zettner and Scott Asheton also lived. I’d known all these guys for years, off and on. Anyway, over the course of the next few months, I’d hang out at the main Stooge farm house and jam with Ron or Bill or whomever. Things were pretty screwed up by then. The drug scene had started taking its toll and the band was disintegrating. Anyway, it was still fun for me to hang out with these guys and then one day Iggy asked me to join the band and take Bill’s place. So, I began playing with the Stooges. Danny Fields liked the way I looked and played, or so he said. So I was now a Stooge.

I think Steve Mackay left the band in October 1970. Had you joined by then or did it happen later?

JW: I joined just as he was on his way out, but he did a couple of gigs with us even after I had joined.

Do you recall roughly the Stooges’ set list at the time you joined in the latter part of 1970? To what extent did you play the Fun House material?

JW: Very little. Actually, the Stooges always seemed to play what we were working on at the current time, not the recorded stuff so much. That was actually a problem in that the audience was never familiar with the new stuff. I believe that “I Got A Right” was developed during this time. By the way, “I Got A Right” was totally written by Iggy even though I got credit on a couple of releases of this song.

Did you introduce any of your material into the band in 1970? I know most of the 1971 set list was made up of your and Iggy’s songs but to what extent were you contributing material in 1970?

JW: No, I only joined the band in 1970 and we didn’t play much that year. I just played what they were playing at the time.

Some of the songs mentioned as being from the “post-Fun House” period (latter half of 1970) include: “Big Time Bum,” “Egyptian Woman” (or “Way Down In Egypt”), and “Private Parts.” Do you have any recollections of these tunes? Were you involved in the writing of any of them?

JW: I don’t recall the titles frankly, but started contributing the music for the Stooges songs right away. By 1971, Iggy and I had written maybe 6 or 8 titles that the band played….
Back to top Go down
Rigsby

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: JW on joining the Stooges in late 1970   JW on joining the Stooges in late 1970 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 2:26 pm

In case anyone hasn't seen it, here's a picture of James today:

http://www.ieee.org/web/aboutus/corporate/election/samal-KMW.html
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2008-02-10

PostSubject: Re: JW on joining the Stooges in late 1970   JW on joining the Stooges in late 1970 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 3:40 pm

Thanx a lot for this 'unused stuff'! Smile I always thought about 'I Got A Right' that James helped Iggy in developing the song. At least the writing credits were usually given to Pop-Williamson..
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tosterhead/music
sweet_sixteen

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: JW on joining the Stooges in late 1970   JW on joining the Stooges in late 1970 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 7:58 pm

Rigsby wrote:
In case anyone hasn't seen it, here's a picture of James today:

http://www.ieee.org/web/aboutus/corporate/election/samal-KMW.html

Wow! I'm kinda speachless that i guy like him could change so much in the last 25 years. I'd say he's certainly done well for himself by going "straight"...
Back to top Go down
Paul T

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-03-23

PostSubject: Re: JW on joining the Stooges in late 1970   JW on joining the Stooges in late 1970 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2009 11:38 pm

Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: JW on joining the Stooges in late 1970   JW on joining the Stooges in late 1970 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 07, 2009 1:05 am

Quote :
Ron, James’s one-time enemy, was the only one who greeted them warmly.

Even more proof that Ron was a great guy. Smile
Back to top Go down
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2007-03-19

PostSubject: Re: JW on joining the Stooges in late 1970   JW on joining the Stooges in late 1970 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 12:16 am

Paul T wrote:
James in his Toyota Prius:

http://www.trynka.net/Site/LA.html

James w Glen Matlock & a fine curry...

http://www.trynka.net/Site/Open_Up_Blog/BB5A81D9-B11E-48A7-BE54-6DADFDE8C4B7.html

Cool! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/iggyandthestooges
cb

cb

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: JW on joining the Stooges in late 1970   JW on joining the Stooges in late 1970 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 12:46 am

GREAT story Per!

Back to top Go down
http://iggypop.org, http://straightjameswilliamson.com
popmansam

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2007-12-06

PostSubject: Re: JW on joining the Stooges in late 1970   JW on joining the Stooges in late 1970 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 3:18 pm

I dont know if you all saw it but there is a big article in the Winter 2008 Fretboard Journal About James. Shows a tech restoring his Raw Power era Les Paul.Also has a real funny photo ot him in a hawaiian shirt.
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: JW on joining the Stooges in late 1970   JW on joining the Stooges in late 1970 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 3:37 pm

Nope didn't see it, could you post it?
Back to top Go down
popmansam

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2007-12-06

PostSubject: Re: JW on joining the Stooges in late 1970   JW on joining the Stooges in late 1970 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 17, 2009 9:31 pm

Ill try this weekend
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: JW on joining the Stooges in late 1970   JW on joining the Stooges in late 1970 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

JW on joining the Stooges in late 1970
Page 1 of 1