Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Raw Power box set?

Go down 
+26
trailerborn
adams66
krugersoldier
Chris Moise
mindless
jneilnyc
osterbergermeister
Nervebreaker
Stranger09
mark
Donald
Rob Gallucci
napalm_cheetah
G, F#, E
Monger
neven
TeddyB1018
MJG196
Garageman
citizensmurf
mc
Nadja
Shakes
the5thramone37
homesickjameswilliamson
saichan
30 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
saichan

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Raw Power box set? Empty
PostSubject: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 3:19 am

Hi all,

I'm a longtime lurker on this forum, and I've really enjoyed reading all the discussions. I'm a James Williamson fanatic, but I love all eras of the Stooges, and I'll post some more about my impressions of the JW Stooges later on...

But for now I just wanted to find out if anyone here knows about a supposed Raw Power boxed set coming out? I found out about it through Jeffrey Morgan's Twitter and wikipedia pages.

This is the first I've heard about it, and I can't believe it hasn't been mentioned here either (sorry if it has and I've missed it). Someone here must know about it! Could they finally be releasing/remastering both Bowie and Iggy mixes, as well as all the rehearsal material? Maybe even the long-rumoured Scala live gig from '73?

Just let those words sink in... 'Raw Power box set' ... could it really be true? What could it possibly be? I might try and contact Jeffrey to find out!

Last edited by saichan on Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

Raw Power box set? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 3:47 am

wow, Raw Power boxset, what does that even mean!!

this is mindblowing, a raw power boxset and 1971 stuff! what the hell, stooges always surprise!

thanks for posting this saichan and welcome to the board - great first post!

i wonder what this is, im a great fan of raw power stooges too and williamson too, always wanted to play like him (though Ron's the personal favourite i must say)

wow, i hope it is remastered stuff, or just something, i dont care! whatver, this is great, hope its true
Back to top Go down
the5thramone37
Dog Food
the5thramone37

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2007-03-12

Raw Power box set? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 4:15 am

that would be interesting to find out whats going on with it. otherwise thats great, a raw power box set! im already pretty damn excited with the 1971 box set, so this just put me through the roof! Smile
Back to top Go down
Shakes

Shakes

Number of posts : 483
Registration date : 2007-12-08

Raw Power box set? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 4:21 am

they need to slow down the releases on these box sets. there is only so much money i have. hahaha.

i still have to catch up on iggy 1977 & wtfs 2
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Raw Power box set? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 12:05 pm

hmm...an upcoming 'Iggy and the Stooges' book' as well?
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

Raw Power box set? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 4:46 pm

Jeffrey's doing that book Rock Action with Robert Matheu, a Raw Power box as well is a very nice surprise. I hope it's all the rehearsal takes not just remastered versions.
Back to top Go down
citizensmurf

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Raw Power box set? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 10:41 pm

I hope it would include a Columbia recorded concert from the 1973 tour, or two. They must have recorded one of these, as they were taping a ton of their bands at the time. Some of these recordings took years to find in the vaults, but look at how much Miles Davis stuff they found. I would probably buy the box no matter what, but would hope it contained professionally recorded stuff (ie: master tapes, no audience stuff).
Back to top Go down
Garageman

Garageman

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2008-03-19

Raw Power box set? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 2:57 am

This is really cool. I would certainly buy that, although I'd buy anything with the name "Stooges" on it...
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2007-02-26

Raw Power box set? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 4:45 am

It could be that Columbia was getting ready to capitalize on the Rock & Roll HOF induction...
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
TeddyB1018

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-07-06

Raw Power box set? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 12:16 pm

Well, we know Columbia taped the Academy of Music show, but Iggy's performance is pretty sketchy. I'd expect more likely candidates for the box set would be the extra studio tracks -- I Got a Right, Sick of You, Gimme Some Skin, etc. aside from early mixes and possibly (or even likely) both official ones.

It would seem that Columbia was aiming to capitalize on the HOF, with Raw Power still being the best-known "Stooges" album.
Back to top Go down
saichan

Raw Power box set? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 12:18 pm

TeddyB1018 wrote:
Well, we know Columbia taped the Academy of Music show, but Iggy's performance is pretty sketchy.

Hi,

What do you mean -- 'Iggy's performance is pretty sketchy"? Is there a boot of this gig?
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Raw Power box set? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 5:30 pm

saichan wrote:
TeddyB1018 wrote:
Well, we know Columbia taped the Academy of Music show, but Iggy's performance is pretty sketchy.

Hi,

What do you mean -- 'Iggy's performance is pretty sketchy"? Is there a boot of this gig?

It's on the Double Danger CD and Night of the Iguana LP
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Raw Power box set? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 6:20 pm

Just a thought, wonder if James Williamson has pulled some strings to get access to any CBS Stooges Raw Power outtakes, seeing as Sony now own CBS.
Back to top Go down
neven

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-06-07

Raw Power box set? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 8:21 pm

12 years ago there was talk david bowie would releas a raw power cd set on his own label ,this never happened
Back to top Go down
Monger

Monger

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-08-20

Raw Power box set? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 8:33 pm

Ive heard several times over the years that the Scala show was taped and it seems likely Mainman would have done so,they reportedly taped most of Bowies shows also.As to who owns this tape and where it is,providing it exists,would like as not be Columbia.If it does exist,a raw power box is the perfect place for it and i hope this (as well as the 1971 set..and the atlanta 73 show) all come to fruitation!
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Raw Power box set? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 9:18 pm

A Lou Reed recording from the Scala in 72 also surfaced recently, so it could be possible.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

Raw Power box set? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 9:59 pm

I'm seriously wishing the Kings Cross gig was taped. Smile
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

Raw Power box set? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 10:59 pm

holy crap, kings cross?! this is unbelievable, what have we done to deserve this and a hopeful 1971 boxset!

cant believe this, those three gigs would make an unbelievable boxset

hope this happens
Back to top Go down
napalm_cheetah

napalm_cheetah

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2008-05-11

Raw Power box set? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 12:16 am

A Raw Power Box Set!!?! That would be great!!! I wonder if the box set will include the original mix of RP
Back to top Go down
saichan

Raw Power box set? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 12:42 am

mc wrote:
Just a thought, wonder if James Williamson has pulled some strings to get access to any CBS Stooges Raw Power outtakes, seeing as Sony now own CBS.

That thought crossed my mind as well, seeing as James is now taking a big interest in his Stooges history, with his recent increased media profile etc. It's possible!
Back to top Go down
saichan

Raw Power box set? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 1:10 am

G, F#, E wrote:
I'm seriously wishing the Kings Cross gig was taped. Smile

That's the Scala gig we've been talking about, the one with all the Mick Rock photos. The Scala was a cinema (theatre?) in Kings Cross. I've also heard the rumour that it was taped professionally by CBS.

I almost can't imagine what a professional-sounding recording of the Raw Power Stooges would sound like!

Last edited by saichan on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

Raw Power box set? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 1:23 am

Thanks for clearing that up. Tha would be something else! Smile
Back to top Go down
saichan

Raw Power box set? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 1:28 am

By the way, I've contacted Jeffrey Morgan via Twitter to get some info on this box set. He's acknowledged the contact, but hasn't replied yet. When he does, I'll let you all know the news.
Back to top Go down
Rob Gallucci

Rob Gallucci

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2009-03-03

Raw Power box set? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 11:07 pm

Hi. I'm a long time Stooges fan, but newcomer here. The recent sad news sent me seeking likeminded fans - this is clearly the best site for that.
Anyway, given that every version of RP I have is simultaneously brilliant (because of the songs) and disappointing (largely because of the loss of Ron and Scott's input due to recording/production failings,) the people I would like to see tackle a definitive remaster would be Rhino. Their work is always impressive, and on Fun House it's utterly amazing. I guess contractual issues with Columbia may prevent this happening though? Sorry if this has been raised here before, but does anyone know if Rhino is out of the question?
Back to top Go down
citizensmurf

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-02-21

Raw Power box set? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 2:37 am

Columbia's Legacy division does a great job of reissuing material. Look at the Miles Davis box set series. They are actually asking for input from fans for future projects. I might just tell them about the buzz for a Raw Power box. Okay, I did it.

http://legacyrecordings.uservoice.com/pages/general/suggestions/132956-stooges-raw-power-box-set
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Raw Power box set? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Raw Power box set?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next