Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Raw Power box set?

Go down 
+26
trailerborn
adams66
krugersoldier
Chris Moise
mindless
jneilnyc
osterbergermeister
Nervebreaker
Stranger09
mark
Donald
Rob Gallucci
napalm_cheetah
G, F#, E
Monger
neven
TeddyB1018
MJG196
Garageman
citizensmurf
mc
Nadja
Shakes
the5thramone37
homesickjameswilliamson
saichan
30 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
mark

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-02-26

Raw Power box set? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 1:07 am

Got to be the Kral Academy of Music footage, right?
Back to top Go down
mindless

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2008-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 3:10 am

Recently had some emails with Ivan & told him he should get intouch with a label to release the tape, he didn't mention he had spoken to anyone about it tho. There are 2 CDs full of preproduction James & Iggy jamming, as mentioned in Creem, but it's mostly really rough bluesy stuff with just guitar & vocals. There is some interesting stuff they might be able to finish off tho.
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 3:42 am

mindless wrote:
Recently had some emails with Ivan & told him he should get intouch with a label to release the tape, he didn't mention he had spoken to anyone about it tho. There are 2 CDs full of preproduction James & Iggy jamming, as mentioned in Creem, but it's mostly really rough bluesy stuff with just guitar & vocals. There is some interesting stuff they might be able to finish off tho.

Hey Mindless, a lot of those jams are on the Wild Love CD.
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
Chris Moise

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-05-26

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 6:35 am

I have to say I'm somewhat dissapointed with this. Super excited about Atlanta '73 but considering this is one of the most legendary LP's ever it deserves more than 2 discs. At the least they should include some of the pre-Bowie mixes considering their historical value and how different some of them are to either the Bowie mix or original mix.

I'd also like to see some alternate takes since we don't have any outtakes from the Raw Power sessions proper. Clearly the tapes still exist since they were able to remix.
Back to top Go down
krugersoldier

krugersoldier

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 11:47 am

Anyone know what the setlist was at that legendary Scala gig?
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 1:55 pm

The set list at the Scala show has long been a mystery.
Almost certainly played were the pre- Raw Power songs that the band had been working on - "I Got A Right", "I'm Sick Of You", "Gimme Some Skin", "Scene Of The Crime", "Tight Pants" but even this isn't certain.
When these songs were rejected (a while after the Kings Cross show) by both management and record company the Stooges then came up with most of the songs that went onto Raw Power - so it's unlikely that these would have been played as they were mostly yet to be written!
Some sources suggest that both "Penetration" and "I Need Somebody" date from late 1971, and it seems that at least the tune of "Search And Destroy" was recorded at the "I Got A Right" sessions, so those three are also possibilities.
There's also a chance that "Louie Louie" might have been played.
Weirdly the only song we know for sure was played was an acapella rendition of "The Shadow Of Your Smile" sung by Iggy during an electrical breakdown.
Does anyone have any definite info regarding this show? Was anyone on this board actually there?
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

trailerborn

Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 4:42 pm

The Nick Kent article (NME?) is the only piece I've ever read on the Scala show. I'm fuzzy on the details, but a few songs might be extracted from that.
I seem to recall an old interview with an attendee who claims they played 'I Got a Right'.

The Kral footage has been posted in both high-quality black & white and low quality color. The original footage must look pretty good. I don't think he has the complete show, though, as he mentions moving around a lot and having his camera knocked out of his hands at one point.

Of more interest (to me) is footage of a full '70 show that supposedly emerged from Danny Sugerman's estate. Not the Raw Power band though...
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
Petrie Terrace

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 10:21 pm

"Of more interest (to me) is footage of a full '70 show that supposedly emerged from Danny Sugerman's estate. Not the Raw Power band though..."

Can't believe I missed this when you posted it!?! That would be an amazing find! Do you have any other details?, sound/silent, colour/B&W etc? Any info gratefully received.

Paul
Back to top Go down
Monger

Monger

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 6:20 am

In the Stooges Book,Ig says they did "no more than 6-12 takes of any song"...and the atlanta show is said to be a multitrack board tape....so why go cheap with a 2 disc set? let the whole monster loose!..ig also said it was recorded 16 track and 13 tracks were used....this could be great
Back to top Go down
pernil

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 7:02 am

A few King's Cross Cinema gig song titles have been documented in reports, so the set list is not a complete mystery. And there exist several reviews/reports on the show. Per
Back to top Go down
pernil

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 22, 2009 7:07 am

I don't think Ivan Kral's footage is more than the 9 minutes that I have documented in a list of known Stooges footage, see below. It is silent. Not that great, although any moving pictures of the Stooges are exciting! Per

This footage was shot by Ivan Kral from the seventh row, using a super 8mm camera. The footage is excellent, close and steady, focusing on Iggy but also with some shots of James Williamson. At one point, Iggy is in the crowd, very close to Kral. Short excerpts have been included in some documentaries on Iggy (and Kral), but the footage has never been shown in its entirety.
Back to top Go down
jpod

jpod

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2007-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 4:21 pm

did anyone see this before?

http://www.answers.com/topic/raw-power#The_Masters_Edition

The Masters Edition
According to an article in Detroit's Metro Times, Sony Legacy Recordings will release a deluxe version of Raw Power in April 2010. Raw Power: The Masters Edition will contain David Bowie's original Raw Power mix, a live soundboard recording from Atlanta in October 1973, and liner notes written by authorized Stooges biographer Jeffrey Morgan.

April eh? just in time to promote the Hammersmith gig.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 12:19 am

will there be anything other than the david bowie mix and atlanta?

and are they discontinuing the 97 iggy mix?

i read that it would include the original masters, the bowie mix and atlanta

what would the original masters sound like?
Back to top Go down
Monger

Monger

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 12:53 am

According to Pop,it was recorded on 16 track and they used 13 of the 16 tracks...and did 6-12 takes of each song,as opposed to the dozens of funhouse...and all that set will have is the bowie mix and the atlanta gig? cheap it out..should have let Rhino do it
Back to top Go down
coffeepotman

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2009-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2009 3:54 am

So the story of them using only 3 tracks is untrue? I hope you're right cause I've always heard that they only used 3 tracks and that's why it sounds so awful. 1 track for vocals, 1 for lead guitar and the rest on a single third track.

I grew up with the Bowie mix so it's sounds normal to me, I never liked the Iggy full tilt everything in the red mix.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power box set?   Raw Power box set? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Raw Power box set?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3