Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll

Go down 
+13
Garageman
Donald
jpod
saichan
neven
Lucas
jimmyo
heavy liquid
Nadja
JW82
Loose1969
scott
homesickjameswilliamson
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Has Iggy Soldout? / Do You Care?
Yes, In My Eyes Iggy Has Sold Out
Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll Vote_lcap10%Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll Vote_rcap
 10% [ 3 ]
No, I Dont Really Care
Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll Vote_lcap90%Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll Vote_rcap
 90% [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 30

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll Empty
PostSubject: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 7:12 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7901003.stm

Just read this article, with an extremely unflattering picture of the Pop at the botttom, and its fuckin me off.

It says mesage boards - wonder if theyve been looking around these parts? - are 'ablaze' or some word, with words like ''sell out'' and apparently all us fans are really annoyed at our hero, the anti sell out, anti money, Iggy Pop selling car insurance / time on TV.

Personally, I couldnt give a crap. If he wants to do it, i dont mind, i hardly ever even see the full length ads on TV so they dont annoy me. I see them occasionally watching Futurama, before and after ad breaks, and theyre fun to watch, cause i love the guy

now apparently i should hate him and this 'selling out' has besmirched his legacy and our memories of us buying raw power and all this bullshit - the article wasnt written by a fan either

so i wanted to know, who cares? it has a list of people who've sold out and by comparison iggys is fine, john lydon selling butter? lou reed selling honda scooters? even bob dylan did pepsi recently AND the coop ad in UK (which was a riduclous ad, it was 3 minutes long and the ad didnt have anything to do with the coop, and they obviously havent even listened to the lyrics lol), so who cares?
Back to top Go down
scott

scott

Number of posts : 269
Registration date : 2009-02-02

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 8:43 pm

Man these idiots really cannot resist beating the dead horse...

cheers Iggy, if you read this forum by chance, I hope you sign on to do as many advertisements that are thrown your way cheers
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 10:19 pm

thank you scott, exactly!

i wonder if people in general really care, everyone i know, who hates iggy and stooges, think he's sold out, but they dont know anything about him, they just assume cause he 'invented punk' that he shouldnt be doing these sorts of things, but if you look at the past its hardly as if he was anti money in any sense

well, its only be a couple hours, but glad to see the real fans dont care much, except one person....lol
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 10:19 pm

Who gives a fuck? Iggy is one badass dude, sang in the best band ever and has a stellar solo career.

What the FUCK is wrong with making money anyway??
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2008-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 11:00 pm

Loose1969 wrote:
Who gives a fuck? Iggy is one badass dude, sang in the best band ever and has a stellar solo career.

What the FUCK is wrong with making money anyway??

Exactly. It's up to Iggy, Johnny Rotten if they wanna advertise. And honestly, I think they don't give a shit 'bout those 'sell-out' critical remarks @ them. They follow this 'do what you [feel] like', 'DIY' or whatever slogan. If they need cash or make it interesting, that's just cool. They have fun too Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tosterhead/music
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll Icon_minitimeSat Feb 21, 2009 11:22 pm

I read that BBC article this morning. It was quite amusing, they have those kind of debates from time to time, they were just trying to make a topic I guess
Back to top Go down
heavy liquid
Admin
heavy liquid

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 2:03 am

Don't really care.

Half Alive Incubator Baby
jimmyo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2007-05-08

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 6:31 am

Nadja wrote:
I read that BBC article this morning. It was quite amusing, they have those kind of debates from time to time, they were just trying to make a topic I guess
whattya expect from a buncha limey queers? Sleep
next thing you know the "news of the world" will publish DOCUMENTED proof Iggy is an alien from pluto... lol!
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 6:41 am

thanks to everyone who voted

im glad to see real fans dont give a shit

thought it was just me
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 1:20 pm

jimmyo wrote:
Nadja wrote:
whattya expect from a buncha limey queers? :

Nothing, it was just funny to read
Back to top Go down
Lucas

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2008-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 2:23 pm

Most advertising is selling lies. Populair people sell themselves to deceive their fans and to get them selling crap. Stars that do commercials make money on their fans expens. I'm very disapointed Iggy sells himself. The more since everything indicates he doesn't deperately need the money
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 4:57 pm

i dont think its about deception Lucas, though i take your point

and i agree, he doesnt (seem) to need the money, which makes doing the ad all the more baffling, i cant figure it out, i dunno i think they just said "hey, how about we pay you $3m for as many hours work?" i doubt many people would say no
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 6:42 pm

Iggy should do what he wants!!!

'it's business as usual'
Do like the discussion in the media though.
Back to top Go down
neven

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 7:46 pm

since ig is from detroit(the motorcity!)it's not strange they asked him to do this ad.
i think he considers this work
Back to top Go down
Lucas

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2008-01-21

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 8:11 pm

If he considers this work then don't sing things like:
I took a pounding
from my radio today,
when I heard the radio say
some piece of shit
was the sound of today
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll Icon_minitimeSun Feb 22, 2009 10:54 pm

i never thought about the detroit connection, but maybe thats why
Back to top Go down
saichan

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2009-01-13

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 10:15 am

It's a tricky debate and I don't really know where I stand (you need a poll option for 'undecided'!).

On the one hand, you could say Iggy sold out well before this; on the other, there are the viewpoints put forward in this thread. Both seem equally valid.

One thing I *will* say is that the Ig's ad is nowhere near as offensive as Lydon's butter monstrosity. In fact, there's no comparison between Iggy and Lydon in their later careers (and, for me, in their early careers, too; Iggy streets ahead on all counts). While Iggy may be doing insurance ads, and while his latter-day albums ain't that hot, the way he handles himself in present-day interviews is a million times more interesting, self-deprecating and intelligent than Lydon's vapid, cliched, cartoon punk-rock-demi-god shtick.

From start to finish, Iggy for the win, absolutely no doubt about it.
Back to top Go down
jpod

jpod

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2007-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 11:34 am

I first heard about this ad when i came into work and a colleague said
"I see Iggy has sold out"
I thought he was talkin about concert tickets!
funny thing is I work in an advertising agency. LOL

I've no prob with Iggy doing something like this - i mean
"the stooges fight poverty in secret" dont they?
I mean its not like Iggy is Paul McCartney or someone.

On the other hand Lydon's butter ad really sucks. i lost most respect for him after his Celebrity Jungle Reality TV show. but that was cuz he just came across as a grumpy c**t - not cuz of him sellin out. he's always just done what he wanted anyway no matter what anyone thinks. pretty punk really.

re iggy: remember it not just about money - it does get his name out there again too.
and theres nothin wrong with that - he deserves the recognition.
Back to top Go down
Donald

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 12:11 pm

The ad makes me laugh. My wife thinks he should have used less baby oil though.
If he's a sell out then he sold out ages ago when he allowed his music to be used in ads and when he advertised Virgin Atlantic. It's nothing new and it's only non-fans who seem bothered because they think fans should be bothered.
Maybe when I was younger and the world was so much purer I would have cared but I've grown up and so has Iggy.
Back to top Go down
Garageman

Garageman

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 12:29 pm

I see no problem here, really. Why should anybody call him a sell-out? Iggy just does what he wants, as I would do in his place. Hey, his music's been for sale since 1969, so why didn't anybody complain about selling out earlier...

Frankly, I think he deserves every penny he gets paid.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 2:22 pm

Quote :
If he's a sell out then he sold out ages ago when he allowed his music to be used in ads and when he advertised Virgin Atlantic. It's nothing new and it's only non-fans who seem bothered because they think fans should be bothered.

i totally agree with you donald, thats exactly what i was thinking, he's done it before, and non fans are gettin upset for some reason even though real fans dont give a shit, its ridiculous, hope it dies down soon
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 2:51 pm

Few people i know also talked about Iggy's 'sell out'.
Remarkable to me is that all of them didn't really follow his whole career.
They just like his Raw Power or Lust For Life period and/or saw 1 or 2 times a concert. not the real fans.
They must got stuck in their head thinking that iggy is punk. Whatever that means (?)
And punk probably doesn't fit with commercial thinking in their opinion.
It's just crazy to expect that iggy should continue his career on a thought about what he did,
said or believed 20 or 30 years ago.

guess this maybe due to the often made mistake; when someone gets famous with a specific thing or attitude people tend to think that the artist IS what he makes. Personifying what they see > especially what they think themselves.
+ ofcourse masses of people simply take what is written in media.
There seems to be this strong wish for creating one dimensional caricatures as heroes.
and heroes shouldn't .. eh... 'sell-out' rendeer
Back to top Go down
Rigsby

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 6:15 pm

I couldn't care less about the advert. The mighty Ig is free to earn coin in any way he sees fit.

What is slightly amusing though is that Swiftcover refuse to insure musicians as the potential pay outs are too high.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 7:26 pm

saichan wrote:
One thing I *will* say is that the Ig's ad is nowhere near as offensive as Lydon's butter monstrosity. In fact, there's no comparison between Iggy and Lydon in their later careers (and, for me, in their early careers, too; Iggy streets ahead on all counts). While Iggy may be doing insurance ads, and while his latter-day albums ain't that hot, the way he handles himself in present-day interviews is a million times more interesting, self-deprecating and intelligent than Lydon's vapid, cliched, cartoon punk-rock-demi-god shtick.

jpod wrote:
On the other hand Lydon's butter ad really sucks. i lost most respect for him after his Celebrity Jungle Reality TV show. but that was cuz he just came across as a grumpy c**t - not cuz of him sellin out. he's always just done what he wanted anyway no matter what anyone thinks. pretty punk really.

Anybody else noticed a lot of these threads dissolve into Lydon or Sex Pistols hating? Iggy likes the Sex Pistols and half of the members played with him! Iggy even defended Lydon in the famous Canadian interview.

Personally I find Lydon's butter ad more enjoyable, it's actually funny. Iggy's advert makes no sense what so ever. Which is funny in its self.

Iggy's free to do what he wants to do and so is Lydon. Both have said they want to make money in the past, now that they have fame, adverts are a quick, well-paying way to get it. It's not like they were members of the Dead Kennedys (now there's some musicians who sold out - except Biafra).

I've always thought Lydon came across pretty well in interviews, normally witty and funny, similar to Iggy but still very different.

As for "I'm A Celebrity", I thought Lydon was entertaining in it, he wasn't grumpy, he just didn't like Jordon or Peter Andrey. Can you blame him?
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 8:13 pm

shit, I haven't even seen Lydon's butter ad yet! Laughing
must start watching more TV
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll   Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does Anyone Here Even Care? - A Swift Poll
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next