Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Funhouse Sessions Box questions

Go down 
+2
citizensmurf
larry fine
6 posters
AuthorMessage
larry fine

larry fine

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Funhouse Sessions Box questions Empty
PostSubject: Funhouse Sessions Box questions   Funhouse Sessions Box questions Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 7:06 pm

I think was covered elsewhere but I can't remember where. Forgive me if this is redundant.

I bought a copy of the Funhouse box at a record swap meet a year or so ago. I can't determine if it is a bootleg or not. The CDs all look like the real ones I've seen. It has a 2 sided poster. There are 7 discs. the spines on the jewel cases for discs 1-5 say Stooges Disc One, Stooges Disc Two, etc. The sixth disc spine reads "Da Stooches! Disc Six. The seventh disc looks like the Elektra single of Down on the Street but comes in a blue paper sleeve. There is no number on it (i.e. - 1/3000, 2/3000, etc.). Most important there are no liner notes. As I understand it the notes ore on the inside of the jewel case inserts. The insides of the inserts I have are white. Also it came in a thin paper box with an Elektra logo on one side and info on the other side such as Style No., Color, Size, Qtty., etc. I've seen what appears to be another box with Funhouse sessions photos. Was that an outer box? If this is a boot it is a tremendous job of copying what they took the trouble to copy.

I guess my questions are:
Where would the liner notes be?
Should the spine on the sixth disc read Da Stooches?

Any help would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
citizensmurf

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: Funhouse Sessions Box questions   Funhouse Sessions Box questions Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 7:24 pm

Hmmm. Well the spine of disc six does say DA STOOCHES! However, each of the disc's booklets has part of the liner notes. Every booklet is a four page fold-out, one side has pictures of the actual Scotch reel boxes that contained the reels. The other side has a pic and like I said a continuation of the liner notes, basically telling the story of the sessions and the music contained therein. The seventh disc's sleeve is made to look like an old 45 sleeve, complete with yellowed paper, with a cut out so you can see the label on one side. The other side of the sleeve has the unique number for the box set.

Are the discs silver or cdr (sometimes its hard to tell, but look at the matrix numbers on the inner ring, for example the seventh disc has "45 RHM2 770-2.7 01"). Did it come with an elaborate box. The real one has an outer box with a detail from the album cover, wrapped around the five sides. Then there is an inner box which is what you described, looking like a cardboard box, but it is kind of sturdy.

If the cd's are real, then it's possible that you obtained a promo copy, but I'm just guessing.

And if you want, I can scan the liner notes and send them to you so you can print them out.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Funhouse Sessions Box questions   Funhouse Sessions Box questions Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 7:27 pm

the liner notes were on the covers for each CD 1 -6 (the sixth being called "Da Stooges!!") and it folded out to be roughly an A4 i think, just a page of stuff, nothing much, ive posted some of teh pictures from it a while ago in the pictures thread

the 7th sleeve is cardboard, not paper, or blue paper, at least mine is

mine didnt come with a thin paper box, it was a thick one encased in an even thicker one, with the funhouse album cover on it, the inner one had the same sort of information you said

sounds like a tremendous fake, if it is even that, maybe someone lost or destroyed the original stuff and tried to fix it up to sell it
Back to top Go down
larry fine

larry fine

PostSubject: Re: Funhouse Sessions Box questions   Funhouse Sessions Box questions Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 8:06 pm

Thanks guys.

I checked the 7th disc and the matrix # is 45 RHM2 7707-2.7 01. The others (discs 1-6) are the same except are 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6. It seems as though these are real.

The discs themselves (1-6) all have the Rhino Hand Made logo, the Stooges Funhouse 1970 Complete Sessions logo and disc one, disc two, etc.

Disc 1 - Orange w/yellow squiggly lines
Disc 2 - Red w/squiggly lines
Disc 3 - Yellow background w/sort of eye looking thing
Disc 4 - Yellow(ish) w/drawing of eyes & nose and a TV(?) w/antenna
Disc 5 - Orange w/red horizontal squiggly lines
Disc 6 - Red w/ yellow squiggly lines and doodles

Each jewel case insert is a copy of a 3M tape box.

Disc 1 insert says Reel 1 and lists 1970.
Disc 2 insert says Reel 3 and lists I'm Loose, 1970, I'm Loose.
Disc 3 insert says Reel 5 and lists I'm Loose & Down on the Street
Disc 4 insert says Reel 7 and lists TV Eye and has the drawing from the Disc 4 CD
Disc 5 insert says Reel 9 and lists 1970 and Funhouse
Disc 6 insert says Reel 11 and lists Dirt

Does all this match up with the real thing?

I'm sorry if I'm being a pain in the ass but I'm really wondering what I have here. Apart from the crappy paper box, the blue unnumbered Disc 7 sleeve and the lack of notes it seems to be real. I'd hate to go and spend $200 - $400 if I'm only missing a few paper components but have the real CDs. I can't remember exactly but I know I paid less than $100 for this one that I have.

It's hell being a collector/completist.

Thanks again. I love this place. Where else can you get answers to these types of questions this quickly and pleasantly?
Back to top Go down
regufr

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2008-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Funhouse Sessions Box questions   Funhouse Sessions Box questions Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 8:46 pm

Hello,

If I can help, here are 2 pictures I've just taken, one with CD 1 & 2, CD 1 with the inside liner notes, CD 2 with cover, if you turn it, there's the liner notes.

Funhouse Sessions Box questions Stoogesboxsetcd12.th

The other picture are the 2 boxes, the poster, and the disc 7 sleeve with the number 528/3000.

Funhouse Sessions Box questions Stoogesboxsetcdnumber.th

Bought it directly at the rhino webstore years ago.

Reg
Back to top Go down
Shakes

Shakes

Number of posts : 483
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: Funhouse Sessions Box questions   Funhouse Sessions Box questions Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 9:05 pm

i feel like i am a dog looking from outside at the meat shop.

any ways... i find it odd your sleeve is blue. maybe some one lost or damaged/tossed out the original one?
Back to top Go down
larry fine

larry fine

PostSubject: Re: Funhouse Sessions Box questions   Funhouse Sessions Box questions Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 9:37 pm

regufr wrote:
Hello,

If I can help, here are 2 pictures I've just taken, one with CD 1 & 2, CD 1 with the inside liner notes, CD 2 with cover, if you turn it, there's the liner notes.

Funhouse Sessions Box questions Stoogesboxsetcd12.th

The other picture are the 2 boxes, the poster, and the disc 7 sleeve with the number 528/3000.

Funhouse Sessions Box questions Stoogesboxsetcdnumber.th

Bought it directly at the rhino webstore years ago.

Reg

Very cool! Thanks.

The CDs are identical to what I have and the matrix numbers on them are correct. They would seem to be real.

The covers (or inserts) that I have are the bottom half of what you've shown. Half the size and folded once and plain white inside.

The "single" CD is identical but has a blue unnumbered sleeve.

I have the box you show on the right (but made of cheap paper) and don't have the box on the left (the one with the Funhouse photos). I also have the poster.

Apparently it's not a bootleg but is incomplete as far as packaging. Very weird. Thanks to all for all the help. I really appreciate the trouble you've gone to to assist me.

I may try to contact Rhino Hand Made and see if they can help. I have a friend who used to be a bigwig there. Maybe he can shed some light.
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Funhouse Sessions Box questions   Funhouse Sessions Box questions Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 11:28 pm

If your friend is Bill Inglot then I think he was the man at Rhino responsible for the Funhouse box, so he should know about any promos, which is what yours sounds like.
Back to top Go down
larry fine

larry fine

PostSubject: Re: Funhouse Sessions Box questions   Funhouse Sessions Box questions Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 11:32 pm

Bill isn't who I was thinking of but I know him too. We've worked together in the past and he lives nearby. I may contact him, as well.
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Funhouse Sessions Box questions   Funhouse Sessions Box questions Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 11:38 pm

Tell him thanks for doing such a great job on the release.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Funhouse Sessions Box questions   Funhouse Sessions Box questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Funhouse Sessions Box questions
Page 1 of 1