Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Biographies

Go down 
+9
homesickjameswilliamson
adams66
G, F#, E
TED
heavy liquid
trailerborn
Nadja
Donald
Rob Gallucci
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Rob Gallucci

Rob Gallucci

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2009-03-03

Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Biographies   Biographies Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 2:38 pm

I don't think I've missed any Stooges/Iggy biographies, but just in case... out of interest what are your ratings of the best/worst, and are there any rare ones some of us may have overlooked? I like the Trynka book; Ambrose's is not bad; Callwood's is interesting because it's a true Stooges book, but it could have been a lot more informative. The only book I know of that I don't have and haven't even seen is the Mick Rock photo book - is it a book you go back to often enough to warrant buying it?
Back to top Go down
Donald

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2007-11-22

Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biographies   Biographies Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 4:53 pm

While Paul Trynka's book is the best biog I find myself referring to Richard Adams' The Complete Iggy Pop more often for stuff about the recordings.
Also recommended are Per Nilsen's book Wild One and the one Iggy did, I Need More, is required reading.
Alvin Gibbs book Neighbourhood Threat is a pretty good read.
I personally wouldn't rate the Ambrose book.
I like the Mick Rock book but once you've seen all the photos you probably won't be constantly re-reading it. Some folks might disagree.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biographies   Biographies Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 6:41 pm

Rob Gallucci wrote:
I like the Trynka book; Ambrose's is not bad; Callwood's is interesting because it's a true Stooges book, but it could have been a lot more informative.

Agree with all this. I was disappointed with the Callwood, it had the potential to be so much better than it was, it needed to be CONSIDERABLY more in-depth. I liked the overall approach though.
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

trailerborn

Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biographies   Biographies Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 9:17 pm

Plagiarism aside, the Ambrose book is hilarious. 'Cream is the worst band in history'. 'Zombie Birdhouse ranks with Funhouse'. At least one laugh-out-loud bonehead editorial comment per page.

I doubt Trynka's book will ever be bested. Especially now that Ron - the defacto band historian - is gone.

Really looking forward to Robert Matheu's photo-book, though. He's evidently dug up a lot of cool, unseen pics.

Not a Stooges bio per se, but 'Please Kill Me' is a must-read.
Back to top Go down
Rob Gallucci

Rob Gallucci

Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biographies   Biographies Icon_minitimeTue Mar 10, 2009 11:50 pm

Donald wrote:
the one Iggy did, I Need More, is required reading.

I've never even seen it Donald, but I will try to find a copy. Thanks for the tip.
Back to top Go down
heavy liquid
Admin
heavy liquid

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2007-02-26

Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biographies   Biographies Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 2:48 am

Rob Gallucci wrote:
Donald wrote:

I've never even seen it Donald, but I will try to find a copy. Thanks for the tip.

I've never seen it either! Mad

Nadja

Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biographies   Biographies Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 9:56 am

heavy liquid wrote:
Rob Gallucci wrote:
Donald wrote:

I've never seen it either! Mad

Neither have I.
Back to top Go down
Donald

Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biographies   Biographies Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 1:35 pm

It seems to be out of print at the moment.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_w_h__0_11?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=i+need+more+iggy+pop&sprefix=i+need+more

If you get the chance to buy the 1982 edition that's the one to get.
Back to top Go down

Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biographies   Biographies Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 2:01 pm

yep it's out of print already a couple years.
used not that hard to get though.
I got mine a year ago from Marktplaats.nl for a good price > € 15,-

But i can't find the edition year. Donald where can i find that?
On the second page is standing; Los Angeles, CA 90078
Back to top Go down
Donald

Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biographies   Biographies Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 2:13 pm

I got it from the Amazon link. The 1982 one has a different cover and isn't published by 2.13.61. Does that help Zin?
Back to top Go down

Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biographies   Biographies Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 2:19 pm

Donald wrote:
I got it from the Amazon link. The 1982 one has a different cover and isn't published by 2.13.61. Does that help Zin?
yep.. that does help, thanks Donald!
cuz mine IS published by 2.13.61 Sad
anyway.. i'm fond of it.. great book!!
Back to top Go down
TED
A funhouse boy will steal your heart away
TED

Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2007-06-24

Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biographies   Biographies Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 3:24 pm

Zin, the 1982 'I NEED MORE'

KARZ-COHL PUBLISHING,INC.
320 West 105th Street
New York, N.Y. 10025

ML420.P83A3 1982 784.5'4'00924 [B] 82-17979
ISBN 0-943828-50-3
Back to top Go down
Rob Gallucci

Rob Gallucci

Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biographies   Biographies Icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2009 11:36 pm

You can get a pre-owned copy on Amazon and ebay, but it's not cheap!!
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biographies   Biographies Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 12:18 am

I've heard very bad things about "Gimme Danger", anybody care to say why?
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biographies   Biographies Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 9:11 am

The original Karz-Cohl 1982 edition of I Need More is the one to get if you can, because it has a huge number of truly excellent photos. A fascinating book, though don't believe everything Iggy says in it!
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
Donald

Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biographies   Biographies Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 2:10 pm

G, F#, E wrote:

The author just appears to have it in for Iggy. He is clearly not a fan but he doesn't even seem to appreciate the truly great records Iggy has released. Also, the book is redundant now Paul T has brought his one out.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biographies   Biographies Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 2:14 pm

adams66 wrote:
The original Karz-Cohl 1982 edition of I Need More is the one to get if you can, because it has a huge number of truly excellent photos. A fascinating book, though don't believe everything Iggy says in it!
Cheers,
Richard

does it have more photos than the recent reprint ones, cause i have one of those

yeh gimme danger was terrible, and lke Donald says, redundant now tht OU&B is out
Back to top Go down

Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biographies   Biographies Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 3:01 pm

I had a good laugh with some stories in Gimme Danger.
From page 1 it was obvious the writer had a love/hate.. or whatever.. relation to Iggy.
it's written by a poser. to me > an entertaining + annoying 'extra' read.
Back to top Go down
Donald

Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biographies   Biographies Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 3:38 pm

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
does it have more photos than the recent reprint ones, cause i have one of those

It does have more photos, that's why it's the one to get if you don't already have the book at all. If you've already got it then the extra photos have probably been scanned and put on the web anyway Wink

By the way, the second printing of Wild One is the one to get due to the expanded appendices.

Last edited by Donald on Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I didn't want to derail the thread so I've taken some stuff out to start a new one)
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biographies   Biographies Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 3:39 pm

thanks donald, ill just stick with the one i have

its a good read, funny lol
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biographies   Biographies Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 7:04 pm

Donald wrote:
G, F#, E wrote:

The author just appears to have it in for Iggy. He is clearly not a fan but he doesn't even seem to appreciate the truly great records Iggy has released. Also, the book is redundant now Paul T has brought his one out.

Ambrose didn't clearly acknowledge his sources, as I remember. It was the first Iggy/stooges book I ever read, I thought it ok at the time
Back to top Go down

Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biographies   Biographies Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 7:13 pm

you started with the wrong one Nadja > that's a pity
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biographies   Biographies Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 10:16 pm

it was the first iggy pop i read too, didnt like it much, or pay much attention

its decent i guess, but OU&B is amazing, and i need mores a nice addition, its quite funny and wild ones a great book

have only seen richard's book in the library, but it was pretty good too, must get it some day
Back to top Go down
Shakes

Shakes

Number of posts : 483
Registration date : 2007-12-08

Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biographies   Biographies Icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2009 10:42 pm

Nadja wrote:

Ambrose didn't clearly acknowledge his sources, as I remember. It was the first Iggy/stooges book I ever read, I thought it ok at the time

the same. i remember going on a vacation to see the family in connecticut. luckily a stop at barnes & nobles plus a cd shop kept me busy with that book, the self titled stooges album, and fun house.

my love for the band just instantly kicked into high gear after that. i still have yet to finish open up. i bought it during my stooges vacation in april, read some on a plane delay in the airport and didn't pick it up since. it is not because the book doesn't interest me, i just never got back to it. will do though. from what i read i know i was enjoying it more than 'gimme danger'.
Back to top Go down
Donald

Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biographies   Biographies Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 2:54 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Biographies Empty
PostSubject: Re: Biographies   Biographies Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Biographies
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Down on the Street.-
Jump to: