Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Detroit Rehearsals...

Go down 
+3
adams66
Borntohula
ZenDog
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ZenDog

ZenDog

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2007-03-11

The Detroit Rehearsals... Empty
PostSubject: The Detroit Rehearsals...   The Detroit Rehearsals... Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2007 7:22 am

Although I bought this CD put out by BOMP a few years back I hadn't listened to it very much. I was a little disappointed in the sound quality at first, but lately it has been sounding really good.

Especially " Pinpoint Eyes " and " The Ballad Of Hollis Brown "...

I have added them to the playlist at...

Zen Dog Radio http://search.mercora.com/page/ZenDog
Back to top Go down
Borntohula

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2007-02-28

PostSubject: Re: The Detroit Rehearsals...   The Detroit Rehearsals... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2007 10:11 am

Open up and bleed for teh win. By the way, I'm yet to listen to your radio. I think I'm gonna give it a listen tonight. I'm such a valiant, I know albino
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: The Detroit Rehearsals...   The Detroit Rehearsals... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2007 12:09 pm

I love these 1973 rehearsal recordings. The sound quality is variable for sure (and at times the Stooges aren't exactly together either) but there's a fantastic feel to nearly all of these tracks.

That version of Open Up And Bleed (first issued on Rubber Legs way back in 1987) is absolutely amazing. As is the version of Johanna.

But does anyone have any accurate information on the songs recorded just with James Williamson on guitar and the occasional use of a primitive drum machine.

These include -
Hollis Brown,
I'm A Man,
Dynamite Boogie,
Waiting For The Man,
Purple Haze,
I'm So Glad
and quite a few others.

The sound quality isn't great but it's never been made clear where, or when these tracks were taped.

Anyone know for certain?

Cheers,

Richard
Back to top Go down
Borntohula

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2007-02-28

PostSubject: Re: The Detroit Rehearsals...   The Detroit Rehearsals... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 01, 2007 12:12 pm

I think the version of Open up has a quite cool sound, even if it's "bad". The instruments get's such a nice sound. The guitar and piano emerges into the soundmix in a very nice way.
Iggys screaming maybe not be the best singin cat ever but, the dissonance delivered in the chorus is beatiful. It really sounds like if he means what the words say.

amen
Back to top Go down
jimmyo
Half Alive Incubator Baby
jimmyo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2007-05-08

PostSubject: Re: The Detroit Rehearsals...   The Detroit Rehearsals... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 02, 2007 11:01 am

i have the rehearsals on vinyl. a bad ass cover.
Back to top Go down
iggy-fan
I Got A Right
iggy-fan

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-03-02

PostSubject: Re: The Detroit Rehearsals...   The Detroit Rehearsals... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2007 8:14 pm

adams66 wrote:
I love these 1973 rehearsal recordings. The sound quality is variable for sure (and at times the Stooges aren't exactly together either) but there's a fantastic feel to nearly all of these tracks.

That version of Open Up And Bleed (first issued on Rubber Legs way back in 1987) is absolutely amazing. As is the version of Johanna.

But does anyone have any accurate information on the songs recorded just with James Williamson on guitar and the occasional use of a primitive drum machine.

These include -
Hollis Brown,
I'm A Man,
Dynamite Boogie,
Waiting For The Man,
Purple Haze,
I'm So Glad
and quite a few others.

The sound quality isn't great but it's never been made clear where, or when these tracks were taped.

Anyone know for certain?

Cheers,

Richard

I think it was in the spring march to april 1972 something. In London before Ron and Scott arrived.
Back to top Go down
http://goto.glocalnet.net/iggy-fanpage/
adams66

PostSubject: Re: The Detroit Rehearsals...   The Detroit Rehearsals... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 6:26 pm

That's what I thought too - jamming and practicing before the Ashetons were called over to the UK. The quality is rough for sure, but it seems like Iggy and James were having some fun.
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: The Detroit Rehearsals...   The Detroit Rehearsals... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 11:27 pm

a 3 disc set of this exist's i have it... very rare though.
it has the whole rehersal session's on it from this...
Back to top Go down
iggy-fan
I Got A Right
iggy-fan

PostSubject: Re: The Detroit Rehearsals...   The Detroit Rehearsals... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2007 11:46 pm

JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES wrote:

I have it too. Hardly listenable!
There is a 3 disc from 2nd february -73 and a 2 disc from 17-18 march too.
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: The Detroit Rehearsals...   The Detroit Rehearsals... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 05, 2007 8:12 pm

iggy-fan wrote:

yea that one's alright... and the 3 disc set, i have my version sounds really good... better than the bomp stuff.. whats yours sourced from ?
Back to top Go down
iggy-fan
I Got A Right
iggy-fan

PostSubject: Re: The Detroit Rehearsals...   The Detroit Rehearsals... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2007 9:08 am

iggy-fan wrote:

yea that one's alright... and the 3 disc set, i have my version sounds really good... better than the bomp stuff.. whats yours sourced from ?

I don´t know what generation it´s.

001. Johanna
002. Rubber Legs
003. Rubber Legs
004. Till the end of the night
005. Open up & Bleed
006. Open up & bleed
007. Open up & bleed
008. Open Up & Bleed
009. She Creatures of Hollywood Hills
010. Jesus loves the stooges
011. Jesus loves the stooges part II
012. Gimme Danger
013. Gimme Danger
014. Gimme Danger
015. Unknown song
016. Unknown song
017. Unknown song
018. Unknown song
019. Unknown song

Disc 2

001. Unknown song
002. Cock in my pocket
003. Head on
004. Search & Destroy
005. Search & Destroy
006. Search & Destroy
007. Search & Destroy
008. Search & Destroy
009. Search & Destroy
010. Raw Power
011. Raw Power
012. Raw Power
013. She Creatures of Hollywood Hills
014. Raw Power
015. She Creatures of Hollywood Hills
016. Raw Power

Disc 3

001. Raw Power
002. Death trip
003. Born in a trailer
004. Gimme Danger
005. Unknown song
006. Johanna
007. Johanna
008. Johanna
009. Rubber Legs/How it hurts (different lyrics)
010. Till the end of the night
011. Johanna
012. Unknown Song
013. Head on (different lyrics)
014. Head on (different lyrics)
015. Head on (different lyrics)
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: The Detroit Rehearsals...   The Detroit Rehearsals... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2007 7:08 pm

Yeah.. that ones good too... it's not as rare but still good... i also think the rehersal's with just iggy and james were when they werentrying to find a new bass player/drummer but couldnt...
Back to top Go down
mikel

mikel

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2007-06-27

PostSubject: Re: The Detroit Rehearsals...   The Detroit Rehearsals... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2007 3:49 pm

Uh, what was the bootleg called, on which, both Ron and James played guitars? Was from 1971, if I recall correctly?
Back to top Go down
adams66

PostSubject: Re: The Detroit Rehearsals...   The Detroit Rehearsals... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2007 5:04 pm

There's dozens of boots with this 1971 show - usually claiming to be from the Kiel Auditorium in St Louis, May 1971, but it seems that it wasn't actually recorded at that gig and may be from St Charles around the same time.
Probably the most common CD of this gig is called Live 1971 and Early Live Rarities and you can pick this up for just £2 on Amazon at the moment. The sound quality is awful though.
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: The Detroit Rehearsals...   The Detroit Rehearsals... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 27, 2007 7:11 pm

adams66 wrote:
There's dozens of boots with this 1971 show - usually claiming to be from the Kiel Auditorium in St Louis, May 1971, but it seems that it wasn't actually recorded at that gig and may be from St Charles around the same time.
Probably the most common CD of this gig is called Live 1971 and Early Live Rarities and you can pick this up for just £2 on Amazon at the moment. The sound quality is awful though.
Cheers,
Richard

Correct, But there is the rarer Pretty good sounding version, I have it, after trying to get it for years.

Also, it's defanitly from the Factory, The Show at kiel was supossed to be where it was played, but it was cancled as theequiptment bus never arrived. so they played the gig the following night at st.charles (in missouri near st.louis) The show was cut short after 5 song's as Iggy Whacked Ron asheton over the Head With his Mic Cord while he was swinging it around (u were a bang and iggy says fuck, and dropps the mic)during that 5th song.

The band came back out without ron, and played 1 more song, then called it quit's.

The fan's were mad because they night before got cancled and was made up at this location, then this happend. so Iggy was cool about it, and hungout in the crowd for alittle bit, after they were done playing..
Back to top Go down
mikel

mikel

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2007-06-27

PostSubject: Re: The Detroit Rehearsals...   The Detroit Rehearsals... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 09, 2007 8:52 am

Uh?! Well, I´d love to hear both Ron and James playing together, whatever James said them being...well, disorganized or whatever.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Detroit Rehearsals...   The Detroit Rehearsals... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Detroit Rehearsals...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: