Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

EasyAction Boxset New Artwork

Go down 
+34
G, F#, E
larry fine
andrew
Donald
Monger
popmansam
totenkopf
zander
Chazz Avery
Luzern
sheddy
23rd Express
Chris Moise
Funhousehideaway#2
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Borntohula
Radish
dorianmode
Loco Mosquito
studioguy
trailerborn
Garageman
freemind
JW82
soldier
TED
Nadja
theclarkness
the5thramone37
Rob Gallucci
homesickjameswilliamson
citizensmurf
mc
Blitzkid
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Radish

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-01-07

EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 22, 2009 11:39 pm

Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 12:06 am

Wow, sounds fucking sweet. Way better than i've ever heard these songs before, well worth the money to me, being a die hard fan ! Can't wait till the discs arrive !! Smile
Back to top Go down
the5thramone37
Dog Food
the5thramone37

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2007-03-12

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 1:38 am

I LOVE it. I think it sounds amazing and i cant wait for the cds to arrive. well worth it
Back to top Go down
Funhousehideaway#2

Funhousehideaway#2

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-03-28

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 2:49 am

Song 2 of the Vanity gig is Big Tim Bum.
Back to top Go down
Radish

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-01-07

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 2:51 am

.ok...I'm over my tantrum.....am I going to buy it?! YOU BETCHA! Sound gets better on second listen.....Woweeeeeee......Very Happy

Gotta goooo.....
Back to top Go down
Funhousehideaway#2

Funhousehideaway#2

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2008-03-28

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 2:56 am

Hold off, swear I heard Big Time Bum in there, but it keeps changing with subsequent listenings.
Back to top Go down
Chris Moise

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-05-26

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 6:45 am

Radish wrote:

With technology as it is now.....they could have done a much better job on the vocals and still stayed true to the original sound...maybe it was a budget thing? Or more of a garage operation? Or a stupid engineer?

Dude, it is a mono audience recording from 1971. There isn't anything you can do to bring the vocals out. All the mastering engineer can do with an aud tape is play it back on equipment similar to what was used to tape it and get as good a transfer as possible. From there you can digitally correct speed, EQ it to make it sound better, and remove pops and ticks. No way to move the vocals up relative to anything else.
Back to top Go down
23rd Express

23rd Express

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Quality of the audio   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 10:38 am

I agree. Its impossible to rescue the individual levels of anything relative to other components on a stereo or mono recording. All you can do is correct or sweeten it as Chris says and maybe use a bit of eq or compression. But if you do that you're moving away from the original. Its a bit like the idea of the mythical 'reverb sucker'.

I first heard the St Louis/Factory show 22 years ago and it blew me away even though it was terrible sound quality. The 1971 band however were amazing and so any document of them is very welcome.

Given many of us didn't even know about the existence of these old audience tapes from 1971 until recently I'm just pleased to have them see the light of day. It gives a vague light that perhaps other recordings may emerge from the 69/70 period in time to come.

I have deliberately not listened to the samples bar the Factory track to give myself a surprise when the box set arrives. Very curious to hear the full Factory show - it sounds like a different show to the other versions that have emerged over the years. Rock Action's ride cymbal (?) sounds like a dinky old piano on the sample in parts. Very curious and magical.
Back to top Go down
sheddy

sheddy

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 10:40 am

Great to hear the samples at last!
Bit disappointed with Iggy's voice so faint, but the guitars sound great for an audience recording.

Just to quote the site:

There will only be 1000 of these sets made available

One of the greatest bands in the world playing a handful of gigs with a twin guitar line –up which lasted all of two months with a live set list that was scrapped and never performed nor recorded again.

All things considered, can't miss out on this.
Back to top Go down
theclarkness

theclarkness

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-05-06

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 11:07 am

Back to Teds Karaoke comment on an earlier posting, you get iggy on karaoke, Lust fr Life, Candy, Passenger, Gimmie Danger, Search and Destroy and that other one he did with Debbie Harry, now where s that microphone!
Back to top Go down
Luzern

Luzern

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2009-01-12

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 12:13 pm

The samples sound great. It is amazing this stuff even exists! I never heard any 1971 Stooges recordings before. Thank you EA for making this available!
Ron's guitar sounds majestic and comes through really great on the tapes – a fitting tribute to his work.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 3:53 pm

I really have to listen again, I couldn't make out Ron's guitar much.
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

trailerborn

Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 4:45 pm

I'm in agreeance with 23'rd Express. You don't knock the Rosetta Stone because it's chipped around the edges. That said, Iggy's vocals do sound slightly more distinct on the St. Louis Nightmare boot than on the sample presented here.

A few random comments:

A poster on this forum claims Iggy puked during a false start to ' Got a Right' then the band picked up again. This seems to be Disc 1 Track 1. (And check out the ferocity of that second attempt!) There seems to be a sped-up section just before the song starts, so EA might be hiding some good stuff.

The freakout at the end of D1 is pretty insane. I think this might include the "flies...juicy flies..." bit we read about and that convinced Elektra that Iggy was a junkie.

Dee Dee Ramone claimed Iggy walked-off the second EC gig because of an audience member screaming 'It's the ghost of Mick Jagger'. You can hear cries of 'Mick Jagger' during the crowd noise sections of D2.

'N****r Man' is introduced as 'Over My Dead Body' during one show. I'm sticking with 'See Me Dancing' though, because that title cracks me up.

I'm guessing the version of 'I Got a Right' on D4 is the first public airing of the song. Unreal that we even get to hear this stuff.
Back to top Go down
Chazz Avery

Chazz Avery

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 7:17 pm

Borntohula wrote:
From what I can hear, the third cd sounds like it'll be the most ace. Iggy's voice is there in the background and the guitar, bass and drums easily the heaviest. I really want to get to listen to the rest of it, almost a good teaser that only one song from it is up for listenin!
23rd Express wrote:
I have deliberately not listened to the samples bar the Factory track to give myself a surprise when the box set arrives. Very curious to hear the full Factory show - it sounds like a different show to the other versions that have emerged over the years.
I'm convinced that the track labeled "Disc 3 Track 4" is actually Disc 2 Track 4. It transitions perfectly between Disc 2 Tracks 3 & 5 (especially Track 5). It's clearly not the Factory performance that has been around for years. On The Factory performance, Iggy shouts at the beginning. On this one, he doesn't. I think the webpage designer (and/or whoever labeled the mp3) simply hit the wrong number key.
Back to top Go down
http://beatlesource.com/chazz
zander

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 7:45 pm

as i hear it, "big time bum" is disc 1, track 9.
similar to the ungano's version (which has BTB sandwiched in the middle of "LA Blues")
Back to top Go down
23rd Express

23rd Express

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 10:53 pm

Zander,

Have you heard the Unganos 1970 tape then?
Please tell us more.

23E
Back to top Go down
zander

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 10:56 pm

i have heard ungano's. didn't have much time with it but i was impressed. they end the set with "LA Blues" and in the middle of all the noise and freakout in comes "Big Time Bum" with that proto-"I Gotta Right" vibe to it. After that, they go back into the noise and freakout.

word on the street is that rhino has bought the rights to ungano's and will be putting it out.
Back to top Go down
totenkopf

totenkopf

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-05-10

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 10:57 pm

I WAS AT THE SHOW WITH THE FALSE START. YES IGGY DID BLOW LUNCH OFF STAGE, BUT THE OTHER PROBLEM WAS A MALFUNCTION OF RON'S WA WA PEDAL IT KEPT CAUSING SQUEALS FROM HIS AMPS. IGGY WAS GLARING AT HIM ALL NIGHT LONG. SOUNDS GREAT TO ME AFTER 38 YRS!!!
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 11:04 pm

Great story totenkopf. Zander, great to know more about the ungano's show, hope it gets released soon : ) How was the sound quality in comparison to the 1971 samples ?
Back to top Go down
Garageman

Garageman

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 11:29 pm

Totenkopf, do you remember anything else from the show? How did people like their set of unrecorded songs, which to me sounds like a very brave move from a band who had already two albums out?

Zander, I'm very curious about that Ungano's tape too (aren't we all...). Was it the master tape you heard, and was it professionally recorded to begin with?
Back to top Go down
zander

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 23, 2009 11:42 pm

as i understood, the ungano's tape was recorded on the same handheld cassette deck that recorded the velvet underground's "live at max's kansas city."

that being said, it was pretty damn clean recording. i would put it above this '71 stuff. you could hear ig's vocals.

setlist comprised of everything off "funhouse" and "big time bum"

i don't think i was listening to the master tape, but more likely a cleaned-up, digitized version of it.
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 12:34 am

sweet, glad to hear, was Iggy wild, what was it like ? How the heck did you hear it ?
Back to top Go down
zander

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 12:42 am

can't really divulge how i heard it, but i'm sure glad i did
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 12:47 am

Chazz Avery wrote:
Borntohula wrote:
From what I can hear, the third cd sounds like it'll be the most ace. Iggy's voice is there in the background and the guitar, bass and drums easily the heaviest. I really want to get to listen to the rest of it, almost a good teaser that only one song from it is up for listenin!
23rd Express wrote:
I have deliberately not listened to the samples bar the Factory track to give myself a surprise when the box set arrives. Very curious to hear the full Factory show - it sounds like a different show to the other versions that have emerged over the years.
I'm convinced that the track labeled "Disc 3 Track 4" is actually Disc 2 Track 4. It transitions perfectly between Disc 2 Tracks 3 & 5 (especially Track 5). It's clearly not the Factory performance that has been around for years. On The Factory performance, Iggy shouts at the beginning. On this one, he doesn't. I think the webpage designer (and/or whoever labeled the mp3) simply hit the wrong number key.

I was also thinking this isn't the Factory gig that I know.
Back to top Go down
totenkopf

totenkopf

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-05-10

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 1:35 am

One of the more funnier moments from the Electric Circus. New York audiences were not interactive to what Iggy was doing at that time, I mean jumping into the audience and having them catch him. Iggy leapt but no one was there to catch him---more like the Red Sea parting. Splat right on the floor, my friend Chris was holding the Igg's mike until he could acclimate himself---------FUNNY
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

EasyAction Boxset New Artwork
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: