Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

EasyAction Boxset New Artwork

Go down 
+34
G, F#, E
larry fine
andrew
Donald
Monger
popmansam
totenkopf
zander
Chazz Avery
Luzern
sheddy
23rd Express
Chris Moise
Funhousehideaway#2
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Borntohula
Radish
dorianmode
Loco Mosquito
studioguy
trailerborn
Garageman
freemind
JW82
soldier
TED
Nadja
theclarkness
the5thramone37
Rob Gallucci
homesickjameswilliamson
citizensmurf
mc
Blitzkid
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Rob Gallucci

Rob Gallucci

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2009-03-03

EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 12:28 pm

zander wrote:
word on the street is that rhino has bought the rights to ungano's and will be putting it out.

Where did you hear this rumour Zander? Hope it's true 'cos I've always been impressed with Rhino's work.
Back to top Go down
popmansam

Number of posts : 242
Registration date : 2007-12-06

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 2:56 pm

The First band I heard with a decent PA was in 1970. I was like, I can hear the vocals! Before that point, if you didnt know the words you had know idea what was being sung. Most bands used the house PA, the same one that they used for the hockey games. Couple that with guitarists getting more and bigger amps, it is a miracle you can hear anything. Also these cassettes players cost about ten bucks each. You carried it in and recorded. I recorded an early Allman Bros concert and it had some chick banging a tamborine , not in time with the music.! So I guess what Im saying is that its a miracle anything exists,and im glad it does.
Back to top Go down
zander

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 9:00 pm

the rhino rumor came directly from someone working there
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 9:10 pm

zander wrote:
the rhino rumor came directly from someone working there

good to know, thanks for reporting Zander

I hope this isnt just rumour, this would be amazing to hear, especially if the qualitys decent
Back to top Go down
Rob Gallucci

Rob Gallucci

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2009-03-03

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 24, 2009 11:28 pm

After listening to the samples, the vocals sound worse than I expected but the band sounds better (clearer, cleaner sound) than I expected. That seems to apply to the first 3 discs anyway - disc 4 sounds a lot poorer quality.

There's only one sample from disc 3, and it sounds great - both the song and the recording quality - anyone know the title?

I suppose the most reliable guesses for the "unknown" song titles will most likely come from this forum. I can't see people wanting to refer to them as "Unknown Number 3" etc!!
Back to top Go down
zander

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 1:03 am

does anyone have readily available audio of Matt Gimmick's "Rag" and "You Don't Want My Name"? His versions were supposedly learned from a recording of the Birmingham, MI gig in '71 so common-sense (which doesn't always apply to Stooge history) would indicate we could deduct the possible names of two more of these songs.
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 1:10 am

I Have both tracks. And Matt said to still have Birmingham tape, when I messaged him elsewhere. But seems not to have any interest in letting go of the tape, not even to record labels.
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 1:41 am

zander wrote:
does anyone have readily available audio of Matt Gimmick's "Rag" and "You Don't Want My Name"? His versions were supposedly learned from a recording of the Birmingham, MI gig in '71 so common-sense (which doesn't always apply to Stooge history) would indicate we could deduct the possible names of two more of these songs.

From a Birmingham late 1970 tape -

EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 4 L_0e8dcc40443843fb999645c40e283728
Back to top Go down
Monger

Monger

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 6:09 am

Didnt Gimmick also claim to have earlier live tapes?
Back to top Go down
theclarkness

theclarkness

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2009-05-06

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 11:22 am

Dear all

First off, thank you so much to everyone who has supported this project thus far - you know who you are!

Secondly, I feel it important to keep you all up to speed with where we are, i.e. what's gone right/what's gone wrong .

We finally got the sound samples up and I am delighted to have had the positive feedback that we've received. Again, huge thanks for that . We were nervous that no one was reading the information notes stating THESE ARE ALL AUDIENCE recordings!  We spent a ton of cash (not to mention ludicrously long hours at daft times of night) cleaning Danny's cassette tapes up and firmly believe that they deliver, and your comments confirm this. In fact the studio working with the tapes initially told us that the Detroit recording was so badly damaged, it wasn't worth doing ..but we persevered. We had to. After all, what were we going to do, leave it out of the set? Not an option.

The cover image - 'what the fuck is going on with that?' I hear you say... I wanted one image and someone else was allegedly concluding a deal on our behalf with the estate some months back. It turned out that this wasn't the case, which left us over deadline with no legal agreement . So I contacted the estate myself, but they wanted the equivalent of the value of my house in exchange for us using this shot . We managed to get slightly into real terms and a deal was eventually done last week. I got my shot Why did I hold out? Because these shots are the 'only' shots to my knowledge of the whole group, I didn't want to put just Iggy on the front, out of respect to Scott, Ron, Recca and JW.

Ok, so we are now late in getting this off to the plant because of my being particular (even pedantic and stubborn). I will take all the criticism on the chin because I think we are going to deliver one hell of a package and I ain't going to rush it at the end and fuck it up . Anyone wanting their money back now is guaranteed a full refund, no problem. As soon as the plant give me a delivery date you will all be notified, so thanks for bearing with us; you won't be disappointed.

After very, very long deliberations we have the set list (we only got this in shape in the last week !)

I Got A Right
You Don't Want My Name
Fresh Rag
Dead Body
Big Time Bum
Do You Want My Love ?

I have lived with these recordings for nearly a year and each time I listen to them I am amazed at how fuckin' good this line up were (despite the band's other interests at the time).
These recordings really excited me and I am very proud of this project, albeit a little rough round the edges. It's raw and real and you can imagine being there.

Finally I am sorry about Unganos - we lost out to Rhino. In truth, I think we were used as an enthusiastic stick with which to beat Rhino with to cough up. I am devastated to lose that one, as I feel Easy Action would have done the best job for you with it. Gutted, but that's life - we move on...

Yours,

Carlton p Sandercock

Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2008-02-10

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 2:33 pm

Carlton, thank you very much for all of Easy Action's contribution towards the 1971 project. I suppose that it took plenty of effort to master the sound of these audience recordings. Sincerely, Detroit gig sounds poorer than the other ones..but then I read that it was so badly damaged, that it wasn't worth doing..so I believe a brilliant job must have been done, enough so that we can hear that first performance of 1971 tour!

All work made with this box set is being highly appreciated.
Now we are looking forward to the arrival, hopefully soon!

cheers, Maciej
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tosterhead/music
Donald

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 2:47 pm

I wasn't expecting it to be on time anyway Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 3:48 pm

Happy to wait, and glad you're taking the time to get it right.
Back to top Go down
theclarkness

theclarkness

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 3:55 pm

Well the front pic was one hurdle, then recently we got the titles, and putting this style of box together is tricky, also the pressing plant had to give us the grids, YOU CANT DO ANY REAL ARTWORK UNTIL THESE HAVE BEEN CAST IN STONE, the Cd labels were done a while back as the mock up cover. This and other unseen factors tend to hiccup/hold up projects, or someone last minute gives you better pics. Nitebobs pic of Iggy I THINK IS WORTH THE BOX ALONE
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 4:04 pm

Monger wrote:
Didnt Gimmick also claim to have earlier live tapes?

He did but it seems the guy is just a tease. I tried to contact him via his Myspace (so you can see he's read it) - nothing, Carlton tried to contact him - nothing. There's one last hope I have of getting these tapes to see a release, we'll have to wait and see about that.

Last edited by mc on Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 4:06 pm

Great news, well not about the delays, but i dont think anyones going to get annoyed about that

cant wait to get this boxset, thank you Carlton & easyaction team for all the work, and for keeping us informed about the project

a pity about unganos, and i think EA would have done a great job, good that its coming out somehow though
Back to top Go down
andrew

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 6:43 pm

I have a question regarding the set list. Did somebody come up with 'definitive' information as to what the songs titles were, or is it partly guesswork?

Thanks,

Andrew
Back to top Go down
larry fine

larry fine

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 6:48 pm

I just sent an email to the owner of the Ungano's tape to get an update on its status. I will report back when I hear something.
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 9:03 pm

I emailed the Rhino support address, and they said

"Thank you for your email, but I do not have any information available on this tape.

Dr. Rhino
"

So, hopefully Larry can get some info from the owner
Back to top Go down
theclarkness

theclarkness

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 9:11 pm

its rumoured to be a vinyl or download only
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 9:18 pm

theclarkness wrote:

Unganos? really, thats annoying, i cant play vinyl, and i dont get a download only idea, although i had been wondering how Rhino would put it out, cause no one will buy it (except us)
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 9:22 pm

theclarkness wrote:

Really, that's a bit stupid, they'd be killing off a good portion of the market. I want it on CD.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 9:24 pm

As much as I like vinyl I preffer it for proper studio albums, CD surely would be cheaper and easier to produce anyway.
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 9:30 pm

Yeah, vinyl isn't any good for an audience recording. I want to be able to hear it in the car, in digital quality.
Back to top Go down
zander

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 25, 2009 9:45 pm

Funny, i'd actually heard the opposite rumor...that Ungano's would only be available from Rhino on CD/download.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: EasyAction Boxset New Artwork   EasyAction Boxset New Artwork - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

EasyAction Boxset New Artwork
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next