Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Weirdness

Go down 
+17
StoogesMySpaceAdmin
Rob Gallucci
G, F#, E
JW82
Chazz Avery
Luzern
zenta138
dumdumboy
trailerborn
sheddy
PineappleExpress
Nadja
Loose1969
homesickjameswilliamson
adams66
sway
RFA
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Rob Gallucci

Rob Gallucci

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2009-03-03

The Weirdness - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Weirdness   The Weirdness - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2009 12:03 am

I would have liked The Weirdness to have incorporated more of the feel of what The Wylde Ratttz produced. It rocks where it needs to, but also showcases a slower, dare I say it, more mature side.
Maybe the band thought that approach might not be what Stooges fans wanted, or maybe it just didn't suit Iggy's lyrics?
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: The Weirdness   The Weirdness - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 2:02 pm

last night I heard 'O Sole Mio' for the very first time Shocked

after reading various posts on here I was expecting it to be an absolutely stellar track...and it sure didn't disappoint! What a guitar...what a mood...so dark and yet so lyrical ... & great lyrics too. the vocals sound a little shot at first..but ok, and def. get better towards the end
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: The Weirdness   The Weirdness - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2009 3:57 pm

Quote :

last night I heard 'O Sole Mio' for the very first time

really? wish i had the pleasure of hearing it again for the first time, glad yo liked it - how could you not! its one of the best songs on weirdness, and one of the better stooges songs, and a great testament to Rons ability
Back to top Go down
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2007-03-19

PostSubject: Re: The Weirdness   The Weirdness - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 09, 2009 8:22 am

Yeah, it sounds a lot better on vinyl. When Virgin gave me a promo copy, they sent me the vinyl for whatever reason. I'm glad they did. I did go and buy the cd as well. The vinyl was mastered at Trutone in New York. you can tell this by looking at the deadwax. The deadwax is the part of the record between the last groove and the label.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/iggyandthestooges
ohmygawd

ohmygawd

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-05-04

PostSubject: Re: The Weirdness   The Weirdness - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 3:13 am

what i like on the weirdness is its straightforwardness. this album is so "fuck you", so "in your face" like no other (except maybe metallic ko). brutal rattling guitar, rumbling drums and really pissed vocals. if anybody would ask me what punk rock is, i would just put in this album and turn up the volume to the max. dry, raw, agressive, straight, this is how punk rock has to be!
and of course are iggy's vocals not his best and of course is the mix crap but that doesn't matter, it makes the album even more authentic.
but i have to admit that i first was disappointed, too.
Back to top Go down
krugersoldier

krugersoldier

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-02-20

PostSubject: Re: The Weirdness   The Weirdness - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 10:06 am

In my opinion the Weirdness (in joint last place with American Caesar) is the worst record that Iggy has ever been involved with. Incredibly the 3 additional tracks released on the Japanese version are quite decent. The bands playing is of course fine, but the songs and particularly the lyrics are embarrasing. It sounds to me that Iggy wrote those songs in about 2 days under time pressure. For instance Preliminaires his latest release has far better songs and it would be great to hear the Stooges play this whole album instead!
I enjoy Iggy being dumb (Skull Ring and Beat Em Up for instance) but liked it better when he put more thought into the songwriting (Idiot, New Values) so I hope a reunion with James Williamson will produce again some of the really great songs he is capable of. These guys are seriously old but I beleive they have it in them Smile
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: The Weirdness   The Weirdness - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 8:50 pm

I think Iggy's problem with the lyrics is he confused simplicity with being just dumb. "She Took My Money" is also pretty decent actually, sound wise.
Back to top Go down
Aku

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: The Weirdness   The Weirdness - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2009 10:09 pm

krugersoldier wrote:
In my opinion the Weirdness (in joint last place with American Caesar) is the worst record that Iggy has ever been involved with. Incredibly the 3 additional tracks released on the Japanese version are quite decent. The bands playing is of course fine, but the songs and particularly the lyrics are embarrasing. It sounds to me that Iggy wrote those songs in about 2 days under time pressure. For instance Preliminaires his latest release has far better songs and it would be great to hear the Stooges play this whole album instead!
I enjoy Iggy being dumb (Skull Ring and Beat Em Up for instance) but liked it better when he put more thought into the songwriting (Idiot, New Values) so I hope a reunion with James Williamson will produce again some of the really great songs he is capable of. These guys are seriously old but I beleive they have it in them Smile

Really ?
- I think American Ceasar and Lust For Life are his best solo albums ever and Beat Em is one his worst. I think Party and Beat Em Up are his worst records. I dont like that Heavy Metal side of Beat Em Up, where as I think American Ceasar is really cool, "Stoogesy" -style of solo album. Acoustic songs on American Ceasar would have been perfect on Kill City album and songs like "Hate" could have been on the the first Stooges album. I think American Ceasar is a masterpiece.
As for "Weirdness" - yes, the drum sound is crap and Iggy´s vocals are really badly mixed on the record.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Weirdness   The Weirdness - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 12:45 pm

I just ordered The Weirdness on Vinyl.
I will record it with very good Hi-Fi equipment and my external sound card (in 96khz/24bit) and make it availiable for you guys on the forum...
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: The Weirdness   The Weirdness - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 4:23 pm

Quote :

i wish i could play vinyl, if i could find them, my first two records would be raw power 1973 and the weirdness

just listened to it the other day, and i dont know if im wearing rose tintied....ears? lol but i think its a great album, although i obiouvlsy notice the defects like some of iggy lyrics on it, other are really good, and the mix/production, but i still love the album

thanks, in advance, for putting it up, even just the last four songs, i want to hear those in better detail, i cant make out the words on o solo mio and claustrophobia, both of which seem to have good lyrics, esp o solo mio
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: The Weirdness   The Weirdness - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 10:57 pm

OUTBURST wrote:
I will record it with very good Hi-Fi equipment and my external sound card (in 96khz/24bit) and make it availiable for you guys on the forum...

thanks!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Weirdness   The Weirdness - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 12:39 pm

I got the LP now. It's great, the mastering IS different, vocals are
better audible and it sounds less... "garage band's first album"-like Wink

I recorded it 24bit/96khz in flac format - I might upload it => PM
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

Number of posts : 528
Registration date : 2009-09-10

PostSubject: Re: The Weirdness   The Weirdness - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 27, 2009 8:03 pm

Luzern wrote:
And yes, Albini's recording in terms of technical aspects is a good one. The problem was that he has this hands-off approach. He is only about getting a band's sound and does not interfere with material/songwriting. Rubin would have worked with the band on the material and would have been able to edit and structure the compositions.

Possibly the very reason Albini was used. Albini has done some really great work with Jason Molina (Songs: Ohia & Magnolia Electric Co.) and again I would think that he is used because he doesn't attempt to influence the bands creativity or lack there of.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Weirdness   The Weirdness - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Weirdness
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: