Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

my opinion on the easy action box

Go down 
+39
Loose1969
elvis plebsley
TeddyB1018
Perdu
jerrythebarman
23rd Express
JW82
jneilnyc
scott
berlinberlin
Monger
Lucas
c-deep
G, F#, E
adams66
pernil
Cato
TED
MJG196
Donald
mark
coffeepotman
StoogesFan
citizensmurf
Nitebob
Natalie
homesickjameswilliamson
trailerborn
dumdumboy
tompa67
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Garageman
kaiserken
Rob Gallucci
ElRoi
studioguy
mc
larry fine
Chemmy
43 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
trailerborn

trailerborn

Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2009-01-19

my opinion on the easy action box - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 5:00 pm

[quote="ElRoi]
"Other artists of the time" that nobody even remembers or gives a shit about. That is the sad irony of it all.[/quote]

Bands like 'Crabby Appleton', for example.
I once picked up a used LP by these guys because they were on Elektra and had the same production team as 'Funhouse'. It sounds horribly dated today and I strongly doubt that many people are clamoring for Crabby Appleton reunions & box-sets.

Still, I'll bet those guys were way more interesting to Elektra brass at the time than the Stooges.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

Number of posts : 528
Registration date : 2009-09-10

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 6:04 pm

You don't need an account to post on ImageShack. Just make sure that you delete the ".th" in the address line so that it won't show up as a thumbnail.
Back to top Go down
berlinberlin

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 6:29 pm

@mg 196

"For bands like the Stooges and VU, whose audiences were always small, a high-quality recording (via SBD or otherwise) could be a potential goldmine.

Just listen to this...The Matrix Tapes - Intro

One day, we pray, a Stooges recording will come out with this clarity."

Yes, the VU- Matrix Tapes are in great quality ... I'm not too optimistic that a Stooges tape that good will show up... I mean, we are +- 35 years from that. Where could it hide that long?!
Back to top Go down
pernil

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 8:02 pm

I think Ungano's Aug '70 will be pretty amazing quality-wise! Per
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2009 9:33 pm

Per, I agree with you. Unganos was a smaller club, the ceilings were lower than most. I remember where Danny was located in proximity to the stage.

It should be killer-fabulous as we used to say back in the day.

Natalie
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 12:21 am

trailerborn wrote:
I once picked up a used LP by these guys because they were on Elektra and had the same production team as 'Funhouse'. It sounds horribly dated today and I strongly doubt that many people are clamoring for Crabby Appleton reunions & box-sets.

Still, I'll bet those guys were way more interesting to Elektra brass at the time than the Stooges.

Crabby fuckin' Appleton! Stop please. You are killing me. You almost made me do a spit take with my high gravity brew. The bartender just commented that I seemed to be having a good time with myself I was laughing so hard.
Back to top Go down
23rd Express

23rd Express

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2007-09-09

PostSubject: Further thoughts on the box set   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 10:52 pm

I\'ve just been listening to the Electric Circus shows again over the last few days. They are great stuff and in stereo! Really dig Recca\'s bass playing. The lack of vocals don\'t bother me, as has been said its because someone was close to the stage and the microphone simply didn\'t pick up the vocal p.a. I have other audience tapes and that kind of mysterious aspect to the vox on the night just adds to it.

I remember reading the \'I need more\' book in 1986 thinking how excellent it would be to hear those Electric Circus shows because of my thoughts to what the Stooges sounded like live at the time but also I admit because of those absolutely grotesque pictures of Pop. The aura around that unheard show at the time was immense. Some stuff datewise just never made sense in that book and it wasn\'t until Per set the record straight with his book that the terrible sounding boot of the St Louis \'71 show emerged from wherever it did.

I\'m so chuffed that the NYC recordings showed up 23 years later via Danny Fields. Great to hear them. They are pretty good for a \'71 aud tape. I wonder if there are any more from Mr Fields to emerge? The Chicago \'71 show was apparently recorded by him as well as reported by Paul Trynka.

My favourite still remains the Detroit Vanity Ballroom recording as grungy and chaotic as it is. It reminds me of the rough and ready shows I first heard like American Theatre 18.8.73 and Bimbos \'74 on cassette back in the day. A lot of soul and a lot of power with some of Pop\'s improv vocals being crap just to even it out. Not all of his stuff is great.

My least favourite is probably the July \'71 recording which is just kind of meaningless and showcases the sad state the band found themselves in as heroin destroyed their unit. Scott can\'t help but yell down the mike it seems.

Last edited by 23rd Express on Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jerrythebarman

jerrythebarman

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-04-26

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Oct 17, 2009 12:24 am

Listening to the Electric Circus shows again today, I'm getting more used to the low vocals. It's so great to hear these songs in much clearer quality than the old Live 71 lp which was all I had before of course. The band freakin' smokes and Name and Rag especially are crazy-good rock 'n' roll songs. Big Time Bum is a revelation now too. Sounds like a bit of an inspiration for parts of Gimme Some Skin. And Do You Want My Love kinda brings to mind Looking At You by the Five which is never a bad thing.

My two cents.
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 7:22 pm

Vanity Ballroom turned out being Chicago 71. So that dosen't exist I guess.
Back to top Go down
Monger

Monger

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 9:05 pm

Some of the electric circus stuff is as good as some of the later raw power stuff if not better,qualitywise in my opinion...smoking hot dual guitar action..dont know if he reads this,but right fucking on,Danny Fields!
Back to top Go down
kaiserken

kaiserken

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-07-07

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 12:10 am

trailerborn wrote:
[quote="ElRoi]
"Other artists of the time" that nobody even remembers or gives a shit about. That is the sad irony of it all.

Still, I'll bet those guys were way more interesting to Elektra brass at the time than the Stooges.[/quote]

I've seen the Crabby Appleton record everytime I've flipped through dusty L.P.s in many a record store. One of the worst cover photos of a band I've ever seen.

Jandek Rules!
Back to top Go down
Perdu

Perdu

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 5:05 pm

Disc 3 with its equable mix of music and vocals is worth the price of the entire package alone. Plus it is thrilling to hear heretofore unknown vintage Stooges songs with its two strong guitarists.

A blood relation of mine used to tape shows back in the day said one couldn't always maneuver one's self in a crowd to get the sound optimium balance (while remaining anonymous.) And no, blood relation has no first time around Stooges.

I don't know if Jandek rules but he certainly would approve of the 1971 Stooges. This package is a major addition to the canon for real fans.
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 19, 2009 10:28 pm

Has anyone compared the Factory St Charles disk in the 71 box to the St Louis Adolescent Nightmare boot or the other better copy of this show that was going around before?
Back to top Go down
jerrythebarman

jerrythebarman

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-04-26

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 1:03 am

I've only compared it to the old Live 1971 lp which was all I had and it certainly is a massive upgrade on that.
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 5:17 pm

I thought the version I had that G F# E posted for me in the boot section was actually the best (even better than the EA box) but easy action did a good job with that tape !
Back to top Go down
Chemmy

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2008-06-10

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 11:10 pm

mg196 wrote:
berlinberlin wrote:
Wonderful packaging, very nice done ... the quality of the recording: pretty shitty as most of the boots of our favourite band ... too bad! Isnt it fun: one of the greatest rock bands ever was never descent recorded live when they were best? By some lucky circumstances I had the chance to talk to Sterling Morrison of the Velvets on their reunion tour in the 90ies: I was asking him why most of the Velvet boots do sound that shitty. His answer was simple: they didn't have had better recording equipment at the time!

Although there are MANY VU recordings pre-1970, there are hardly any SBD-quality ones. There IS one, that every hardcore VU fan knows as the "Matrix Tapes," that may never see the light of day, and is of a quality you wouldn't believe. The Matrix Tapes have only been released in 30-second snippets.

For bands like the Stooges and VU, whose audiences were always small, a high-quality recording (via SBD or otherwise) could be a potential goldmine.

Just listen to this...The Matrix Tapes - Intro

One day, we pray, a Stooges recording will come out with this clarity.

why haven't the matrix tapes been released?!?!?! who owns them? someone needs to pull their finger out and get them released!
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 12:49 am

JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES wrote:
I thought the version I had that G F# E posted for me in the boot section was actually the best (even better than the EA box) but easy action did a good job with that tape !

Any possibility you could post the version to which you refer on Dime?
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 1:03 am

Actually you can't. It's against their rules, because it's offically released on EA box, and Starfighter disc. But it should still be available in the boot section.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 1:21 am

JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES wrote:
Actually you can't. It's against their rules, because it's offically released on EA box, and Starfighter disc. But it should still be available in the boot section.

So, the version you are talking about is the Starfighter disc?
Was the title of the thread:
Slightly longer, slightly better quality Saint Louis 1971
Back to top Go down
larry fine

larry fine

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 1:53 am

mg196 wrote:

Play them side by side and there is no comparison. The Matrix Tapes are straight from the board at The Matrix in San Francisco. Live 1969 stuff (all audience recordings) cant even approach it. The "Matrix Tapes" never even saw the light of day until 2002 - 1969 Live has nothing to do with these recordings.

The Matrix tapes are made up of eight 30 minute 1/2 inch 4 track tapes.
There are 43 songs on these tapes but only 22 unique titles. There are three "Waiting", two "What Goes On", two "Sweet Janes", etc. The performances all come from several sets played on 11/26/69 and 11/27/69.

OK, let's move this over the the Velvet Forum!

I realize that this is not the VU Forum, but I have to take issue with this. At least one half of the VU's Live 1969 is from The Matrix. They are not from audience tapes. They are board recordings from the club's recording system. There were several lawsuits around the time of this record's release involving (first) an ex-manager who had the tapes and then from the Matrix club questioning ownership.

They are most certainly not all of the tapes and there may be better quality versions out there. But, at least some of the tapes did see release on that Mercury 2 LP set.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 4:13 am

larry fine wrote:
mg196 wrote:

Play them side by side and there is no comparison. The Matrix Tapes are straight from the board at The Matrix in San Francisco. Live 1969 stuff (all audience recordings) cant even approach it. The "Matrix Tapes" never even saw the light of day until 2002 - 1969 Live has nothing to do with these recordings.

There are 43 songs on these tapes but only 22 unique titles. There are three "Waiting", two "What Goes On", two "Sweet Janes", etc. The performances all come from several sets played on 11/26/69 and 11/27/69.

I realize that this is not the VU Forum, but I have to take issue with this. At least one half of the VU's Live 1969 is from The Matrix. They are not from audience tapes. They are board recordings from the club's recording system. There were several lawsuits around the time of this record's release involving (first) an ex-manager who had the tapes and then from the Matrix club questioning ownership.

They are most certainly not all of the tapes and there may be better quality versions out there. But, at least some of the tapes did see release on that Mercury 2 LP set.

So, was I correct in my assertion that the clip that was posted earlier in the thread was from the same recordings as the 1969 stuff? They sound very similar in quality and venue ambiance. I'm not VU expert, but they do sound very similar.
Back to top Go down
TeddyB1018

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-07-06

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 10:21 am

I was blown away to see the Chicago hotel polaroids credited to my late, very good friend and Stooges fanatic Mike Shelton. I wonder who it was that submitted the photos to Easy Action. It was a very cool thing to do. It's most upsetting that Mike missed the reunion with Ron. Now he's going to miss them with James.
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 10:44 am

TeddyB,

It was Carrie who was in contact with Easy Action before the tragedy.

I adored Mike. He was one of the first members of the fan club. He also was the first to make up Iggy t shirts.

I was so sad when I found out what happened. I first met Mike when he drove up to Chicago for the Stooges gig at the Opera House in 71. Then in 73 he invited me to St Louis for the shows. I stayed with him and his mom .

Nice to see one of his friends on the board.

Natalie
Back to top Go down
elvis plebsley

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2007-03-09

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 12:46 pm

ElRoi wrote:
larry fine wrote:
mg196 wrote:

So, was I correct in my assertion that the clip that was posted earlier in the thread was from the same recordings as the 1969 stuff? They sound very similar in quality and venue ambiance. I'm not VU expert, but they do sound very similar.

Let’s try to clear this one up…

Live 1969 is made up from tapes of performances from both the Matrix and End Cole Ave. Larry is right, there is some overlap with the tapes to which MG196 refers. But, the real issue is one of sound-quality.

The Matrix shows were taped using a four track mixing desk. When Mercury compiled Live 1969, they did not have access to the original Matrix tapes, but at best a mix-down which had been given to the band. At worst, some of the tracks have audibly been sourced from acetates. The owner of the Matrix tape alleges that Mercury took a decision to reduce the sound-quality, so that they would sound similar to the End Cole Avenue tapes. To make matters worse, some of the tracks on the CD appear to have been sourced from the vinyl lp.

I have the snippets from the original Matrix tapes and can tell you that they are vastly superior to anything on Live 1969.

A further oddity is the Japanese SHM CD which sounds like it’s been EQ’d in some way with superior treble, sounding less muddy, but inferior bass.

Why haven’t the Matrix tapes been released? Two reasons: the owner of the tape wanted more money than Universal were willing to cough up and releases from the Velvet Underground are currently subject to “legal issues”. The recent Sundazed singles box with the previously unreleased mix of I Heard Her Call My Name, has a few of us hoping that it signals these legal issues are at an end.

Now back to The Stooges…
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 9:26 pm

Thanks for the clarification on this matter elvis.
"And now we return you back to the Stooges in progress."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: my opinion on the easy action box   my opinion on the easy action box - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

my opinion on the easy action box
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next