Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

When will that car insurance ad vanish?

Go down 
+10
trailerborn
homesickjameswilliamson
napalm_cheetah
Nadja
ElRoi
kaiserken
TED
mc
Natalie
23rd Express
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
23rd Express

23rd Express

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2007-09-09

When will that car insurance ad vanish? Empty
PostSubject: When will that car insurance ad vanish?   When will that car insurance ad vanish? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 23, 2009 8:11 pm

As the title says I wonder when will that ugly piece of late capitalist nonsense vanish? It is grotesque on many levels. I and others wait for it be banished to best forgotten times. Its still on many buses and in train stations up in northern England.

I'm not interested in why he did it. It is wholly visual and audio pollution amidst the rest of it - but worse given his stance in years gone by.

Rollins' rhetoric misses the point entirely. I recommend Bill Hick's take on advertising. Iggy lost out on the roll call there.

Last edited by 23rd Express on Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: When will that car insurance ad vanish?   When will that car insurance ad vanish? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 5:14 am

I heard about this but have no idea what Iggy did. Can somebody explain about the ad?

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: When will that car insurance ad vanish?   When will that car insurance ad vanish? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 2:41 pm

Iggy appeared in adverts for Swiftcover insurance in the UK:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYnydYrZPp8

This is one of various TV ads. All had Iggy dancing around.

Large poster ads were also plastered over London buses, in the tube, at train stations across the UK. I haven't noticed so many recently.
Back to top Go down
TED
A funhouse boy will steal your heart away
TED

Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: When will that car insurance ad vanish?   When will that car insurance ad vanish? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 3:15 pm

I love it, it's fun to see Iggy on TV.
When will that car insurance ad vanish? Iggyswiftcover-002
When will that car insurance ad vanish? Iggyswiftcover-001
Back to top Go down
kaiserken

kaiserken

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-07-07

PostSubject: Re: When will that car insurance ad vanish?   When will that car insurance ad vanish? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 24, 2009 5:54 pm

If this puts some substantial cash in his pocket, more power to Iggy. I am not in the least offended.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

Number of posts : 528
Registration date : 2009-09-10

PostSubject: Re: When will that car insurance ad vanish?   When will that car insurance ad vanish? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 4:47 am

kaiserken wrote:
If this puts some substantial cash in his pocket, more power to Iggy. I am not in the least offended.
Exactly. If you really want to be mad or disappointed, express those feelings towards a society the ingratiates talentless hacks like the Jonas Brothers or Milley Cyrus or whatever flavor of the month the idiots of the world are paying $3000 a ticket to see prance around a stage that cost $750,000 per gig just to transport and set-up.

http://www.zimbio.com/Bono/articles/d7_jazIRM0i/Putting+U2+Concert+Costs+750+000+Day

True artists are rarely recognized and thus rewarded in their own time. Van Gogh never sold a painting in his lifetime. Blame society for its incredibly short sightedness and extreme lack of taste in true art.
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: When will that car insurance ad vanish?   When will that car insurance ad vanish? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 10:28 am

Elroi,

if you are trying to say that U2 are talentless hacks because of the cost of the stage or by comparing them to the Jonas Brothers or Miley Cyrus, they are fighting words!

Do you realize that Bono was nominated for a Nobel Peace prize?
Do you realize the far reaching effects of the "One" organization that Bono co-founded to abolish world hunger?

If you are going to make comparisons, I think you should check all the facts and look at the entire body of work of a celebrity before taking an isolated situation and making that "your" flavor of the month.

I am sorry for taking this so off topic, but U2 are one of my favorite bands for their music. I greatly admire Bono for all the work he has done for aids awareness and povertyso I could not just sit here and not say anything.

As for my friend, Mr Pop, maybe that ad was silly. It took him 62 years to get to this point. If the ad was a mistake, I say cut him a break.

Natalie
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: When will that car insurance ad vanish?   When will that car insurance ad vanish? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 12:10 pm

mc wrote:

Large poster ads were also plastered over London buses, in the tube, at train stations across the UK. I haven't noticed so many recently.

It's still up at my local rail station. I find it a bit more entertaining than most of the other adverts that go up there about boring upcoming books and films and what-not.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: When will that car insurance ad vanish?   When will that car insurance ad vanish? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 4:37 pm

Natalie wrote:
Elroi,

if you are trying to say that U2 are talentless hacks because of the cost of the stage or by comparing them to the Jonas Brothers or Miley Cyrus, they are fighting words!

Do you realize that Bono was nominated for a Nobel Peace prize?
Do you realize the far reaching effects of the "One" organization that Bono co-founded to abolish world hunger?

If you are going to make comparisons, I think you should check all the facts and look at the entire body of work of a celebrity before taking an isolated situation and making that "your" flavor of the month.

I am sorry for taking this so off topic, but U2 are one of my favorite bands for their music. I greatly admire Bono for all the work he has done for aids awareness and povertyso I could not just sit here and not say anything.

As for my friend, Mr Pop, maybe that ad was silly. It took him 62 years to get to this point. If the ad was a mistake, I say cut him a break.

Natalie

No offense intended Nat. I didn't intend to put them any where near the same catagory as those talentless hacks I mentioned. I have everything up to and including Achtung Baby. I rank the Joshua Tree tour as one of the best shows I have ever seen and it was just basically them on a stage with their equipment. But, I just feel that somewhere along the way they have gotten lost in the fame and hype. I mean seriously, a stage that costs $750,000 per show and they haven't made a profit yet. If they were serious about world hunger, wouldn't that $750,000 per show be better spent on food? Why such extravagance for a freakin' rock concert? Don't get me wrong I'm glad there are people that have a job and are getting paid to erect this behemoth, but at some point the music gets lost in all the stage production. In my opinion they were much better when it was just them an a bare stage. That's just my opinion.

Sorry for misdirecting the focus of the tread.
Back to top Go down
napalm_cheetah

napalm_cheetah

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2008-05-11

PostSubject: Re: When will that car insurance ad vanish?   When will that car insurance ad vanish? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 10:28 pm

I think rollins explains it the best on what "selling out" means
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: When will that car insurance ad vanish?   When will that car insurance ad vanish? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 10:52 pm

cool
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: When will that car insurance ad vanish?   When will that car insurance ad vanish? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 25, 2009 10:57 pm

haha, henry rollins is so angry lol

put makes a good point
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: When will that car insurance ad vanish?   When will that car insurance ad vanish? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 12:21 am

Exactly. I hold nothing against artists that were not recognized and thus financially rewarded in their own time. It the bands like The Rolling Stones or Eric Clapton or whoever that have experience fame and financial reward practically their entire careers and then sell their songs to Madison Avenue that are the weak ones. They should have saved some of those mega-bucks early on so they wouldn't have to sell their souls in the later lean times. Neil Young has managed to do that pretty well.
Back to top Go down
kaiserken

kaiserken

PostSubject: Re: When will that car insurance ad vanish?   When will that car insurance ad vanish? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 1:01 am

Neil Young. Sometimes his artistic stubborness can be frustrating, but I can't think of another musician who has so completely catered to his muse. He is a pure artist in that sense.

A band like the Stones (God, one of my favorite bands) are an example of cynisism and greed. Even having Keith in the band can't redeem them any longer....

When I see people like Iggy infjecting themselves the mainstream for a payday, it doesn't bug me. He's in his 60's and for better or worse, given his life to his art. He's got the scars inside and out to prove it.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: When will that car insurance ad vanish?   When will that car insurance ad vanish? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 1:49 am

kaiserken wrote:
Neil Young. Sometimes his artistic stubborness can be frustrating, but I can't think of another musician who has so completely catered to his muse. He is a pure artist in that sense.

Unfortunately, Geffen Records didn't see it that way. Those morons tried to sue Neil for not being Neil. They thought he should keep doing Harvest and Rust Never Sleeps over and over again. Those idiots thought he should be doing mutli-million sell numbers. Instead of respectable numbers like Neil has always done. After a couple of Neil 's "passion projects" they let him go. Then he did Sleeps with Angels, Freedom and numerous other records that sold very well when he went back to Reprise. If I was a stockholder in Geffen I would have sued them for not having any vision and thus losing me money on my investment.
Back to top Go down
kaiserken

kaiserken

PostSubject: Re: When will that car insurance ad vanish?   When will that car insurance ad vanish? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 2:20 am

ElRoi,

There's a great bio on Neil Young called "Shakey" If your a fan, you'd enjoy the book very much. There's a chapter in the book devoted to Neil's battle with Geffen. Well.. Neil's still here and the label is long gone. Poetic justice!
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: When will that car insurance ad vanish?   When will that car insurance ad vanish? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 2:24 am

Well, we are so off topic now, I guess it does not matter anymore.

I love the Rollins peice and I agree with him on selling out. Again, I say that Iggy had so many hard knocks, we need to cut him some slack. All those years when the band could hardly pay the hotel bill and needed the take from the gig the night before to get to the next gig, leave him be. I am just happy some recognition and some bucks finally came the Stooges' way.

Getting back to some other bands like the Rolling Stones, even I have to admit that it looks like they are just in it for the money these days. That hurts me bacause they were my favorite band for a long, long time.

But getting back to U2, one of the reasons they spend so much for the elaborate staging is so that all memebers of the audience can see them.

I liked it better when they had simpler staging like the Joshua Tree tour or before that, when they played the Amnesty International concert in 85. I do believe they lost their way for a few years. I saw one show of the Zoo tour and hated it so much, I sold tickets to 2 other shows to friends. But that does not diminish my admiration for them and all the good they do with their charity work. The stage may be 750k but they have donated millions and millions.

I think we should not be throwing any stones until we have walked in their shoes!
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: When will that car insurance ad vanish?   When will that car insurance ad vanish? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 4:46 am

Point taken Nat. I also loved the Stones. Right up to "Some Girls." From there it's been all down hill for them. It's probably one of the reasons Bill Wyman left.
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: When will that car insurance ad vanish?   When will that car insurance ad vanish? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 5:15 am

Nah, I think Bill Wyman left because it took all his energy to keep up with that wife who is about 40 years younger.

I have to say, I saw the Stones the last 2 times they were in Philly and they can still get the crowd going. I really enjoyed those shows but it was not quite as good as the '69,'72 and '75 tours. LOL
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

trailerborn

Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: When will that car insurance ad vanish?   When will that car insurance ad vanish? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 6:49 am

The Swiftcover commercial isn't as annoying to me as 'Search & Destroy' in the Nike ad.

(Bill Wyman's son married Bill's teenage girlfriend's mom eventually. Crazy shit...)
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: When will that car insurance ad vanish?   When will that car insurance ad vanish? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 26, 2009 8:20 am

I never heard the Nike ad but I have to say when I hear the" Lust for Life" Carnival Cruise ad, it makes me smile.

I am not offended by this. If all of a sudden, the Stooges started writing jingles and songs for commercial use, that WOULD offend me!
Back to top Go down
kaiserken

kaiserken

PostSubject: Re: When will that car insurance ad vanish?   When will that car insurance ad vanish? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 12:02 am

The more Iggy and/or Stooges in the world, the better. 99% of the western world wouldn't know a song by Iggy and the Stooges if it knocked on their front door with a complimentary large cheese pizza along side it. Having those tunes out there in the real wold it a subversive act as far as I'm concerned. A little snippet here, a little snippet there. The alternative is a fresh audio dump from the bottom of Brittany Spears. Seems like an easy choice for me. I would have had a heart attack if this sort of cross-breeding of high art and low consumerism would have popped on my television 20 years ago. It always seems to take the uneducated consumer a full generation or two to get around to exploiting something that in most cases, was good once upon a time. At least the Stooges output (and Iggy's when it's real good) still has the power it had when it first came upon us.
Back to top Go down
Shakes

Shakes

Number of posts : 483
Registration date : 2007-12-08

PostSubject: Re: When will that car insurance ad vanish?   When will that car insurance ad vanish? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 12:28 am

Natalie wrote:
I never heard the Nike ad but I have to say when I hear the" Lust for Life" Carnival Cruise ad, it makes me smile.

I am not offended by this. If all of a sudden, the Stooges started writing jingles and songs for commercial use, that WOULD offend me!

i remember the nike ad. i also remember once seeing a u.s. ad late at night for a vehicle (cannot remember manufacturer/vehicle/model). it was a 30-sec spot with 12-secs being a dead silent shot of alaska-like mountains. only then does a snowboarder come flying off the cliff into view, to yet disappear again all while "LORRRRRRRRRRRRRD!!!!!!!" + the opening riff to "t.v. eye" is played.
Back to top Go down
PineappleExpress
Pumpin' for Jill
PineappleExpress

Number of posts : 168
Registration date : 2009-06-04

PostSubject: Re: When will that car insurance ad vanish?   When will that car insurance ad vanish? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 12:36 am

has anyone here seen the French commercial with TV Eye?
the one with the bicycle race, I thought it was pretty cool

sorry i don't have a link but it is on youtube somewhere
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

PostSubject: Re: When will that car insurance ad vanish?   When will that car insurance ad vanish? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2009 1:05 am

"Lust For Life" has been used a couple of times I do believe. Most recently in a Carnival Cruise line TV spot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When will that car insurance ad vanish?   When will that car insurance ad vanish? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

When will that car insurance ad vanish?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: