Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Iggy & Stooges in the news

Go down 
+11
trailerborn
harmonia
Loose1969
Hectorlovesthestooges
homesickjameswilliamson
Dark Horse 77
iggy-fan
Tyronehell
Joecephus
heavy liquid
mindless
15 posters
AuthorMessage
mindless

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2008-01-31

Iggy & Stooges in the news Empty
PostSubject: Iggy & Stooges in the news   Iggy & Stooges in the news Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 5:27 am

http://www.nme.com/news/nme/48287

has pic from sxsw 2007

Iggy Pop to release 'lost' Stooges songs
He and James Williamson are 'hot to trot', according to the singer
November 9, 2009
Iggy Pop is set to team up with Stooges guitarist James Williamson to record a host of material written – but never released – in the band's '70s heyday.

Williamson, who played guitar on The Stooges 1973 album 'Raw Power', recently rejoined the reformed band in place of original guitarist Ron Asheton, who died in January 2009.

Speaking of his plans for the new line-up of the band, who are set to tour in 2010, Pop said he is keen to enter the studio to record the lost songs for the first time.

"James Williamson is really hot to trot and there's a lot of old stuff that The Stooges failed to record. We wrote a load of songs that we only ever played live, so I'm looking forward to doing some studio recordings," he told Bang Showbiz.

In May, Pop revealed that Asheton had written six or seven songs shortly before his death that could be used in the future.
Back to top Go down
heavy liquid
Admin
heavy liquid

Number of posts : 1320
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Iggy & Stooges in the news   Iggy & Stooges in the news Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 5:37 am

Yeah, I saw this!

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2008-01-31

PostSubject: Re: Iggy & Stooges in the news   Iggy & Stooges in the news Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 5:39 am

Still laughing at "Hot to Trot" Iggy, you're so kooky, man!
Back to top Go down
Joecephus

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-10-31

PostSubject: Re: Iggy & Stooges in the news   Iggy & Stooges in the news Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 7:53 am

Hell Yeah
Back to top Go down
Tyronehell

Tyronehell

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Iggy & Stooges in the news   Iggy & Stooges in the news Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 12:58 pm

Best news ever!
Back to top Go down
iggy-fan
I Got A Right
iggy-fan

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Iggy & Stooges in the news   Iggy & Stooges in the news Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 2:12 pm

Sounds Great!
Back to top Go down
http://goto.glocalnet.net/iggy-fanpage/
Dark Horse 77

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Iggy & Stooges in the news   Iggy & Stooges in the news Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 2:46 pm

Great, great news.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Iggy & Stooges in the news   Iggy & Stooges in the news Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 3:04 pm

i remember reading something about this, but i thought it was just talk

looks to be news, wonder what itll sound like, they have to do open up and bleed, and call the album that, its one of the best songs ever written - hope they play it in May; or at least on the tour

this is great news, though what does this mean for new material?
Back to top Go down
Hectorlovesthestooges

Hectorlovesthestooges

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Iggy & Stooges in the news   Iggy & Stooges in the news Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 3:46 pm

A new Stooges album!!! a new hope!! great...so the weirdness is not the last album haha
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Iggy & Stooges in the news   Iggy & Stooges in the news Icon_minitimeTue Nov 10, 2009 5:30 pm

This is really good news, to say the least.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
harmonia

harmonia

Registration date : 2009-09-29

PostSubject: Re: Iggy & Stooges in the news   Iggy & Stooges in the news Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 12:48 pm

Cant really decide if this is great or not. The material is already afforded classic status and whilst I always bitched about the quality of the bomp recordings I bought as an avid stooge fan I am worried about any potential re-run of The weirdness.Embarassed *

Maybe open up & bleed would be good to hear as a studio recording with a full arrangement but I am not totally sure they can bring anything new to those rough & ready recordings of I gotta right/scene of the crime/ gimme some skin.

Besides it seems like James has taken on some new influences in the Hawaiian slack key guitar and I would definitely be interested in hearing some pop/williamson material that explores new pastures maybe as a non stooges project. Am I alone in this?

* Footnote. My main gripe about The Weirdness is that it kinda got highjacked as an Iggy solo sounding record in the vein of some of those embarrassing things he did like ' naughty little doggie' etc. I wish Ron could have pushed it in a direction that took the band beyond the funhouse title track i.e Ron and mckay working on extended guitar / sax jams that they brought to Iggy in almost finished state.

Last edited by harmonia on Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

trailerborn

Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Iggy & Stooges in the news   Iggy & Stooges in the news Icon_minitimeWed Nov 11, 2009 4:06 pm

I'm in full agreement harmonia, I'd just as soon hear brand-new stuff myself.

Williamson's hawaiian instrumental from last year was quite good and a few songs in that vein would be interesting. I'd like them to explore their jazzier tendencies a bit - witness the cool new ending to 'Johanna' and the arrangement of 'Funhouse' at the reunion. I'm not talking tasteful 'Avenue B' or 'Preliminaires' type stuff, but maybe a dirtier, more jagged Birthday Party-ish sound might evolve.

Basically, I'd rather see the musicians run wild than attempt to put out a generic 'rock' album. Left to their own devices, these guys could'nt help but come up with something totally unique.
Back to top Go down
Joecephus

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2009-10-31

PostSubject: Re: Iggy & Stooges in the news   Iggy & Stooges in the news Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 1:10 am

maybe they will mix in a new one or two with the old stuff
Back to top Go down
krugersoldier

krugersoldier

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Iggy & Stooges in the news   Iggy & Stooges in the news Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 4:58 pm

Thought I would just say that after finding the Weirdness album to be an unfortunate mistake for a couple of years, ive gone back to it again, and dont find it so bad. Iggy is for sure the big weak point, some poor vocals and throwaway lyrics, but My Idea and the title track are good stuff. Could have been much better with the Jap import songs added and some of the weker numbrs dropped, whatever, the next one will be hot !!
Back to top Go down
krugersoldier

krugersoldier

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-02-20

PostSubject: Re: Iggy & Stooges in the news   Iggy & Stooges in the news Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 5:02 pm

I would like to see these songs in this order re-recorded Smile
Would be a KILLER record Smile and a live album properly recorded with these songs even better!

1.Kill City
2.I Got A Right
3.Open Up And Bleed
4.Head On
5.Night Theme
6.Cock In My Pocket
7.Gimme Some Skin
8.Im Sick Of You
9.Johanna
10.I Got Nothing
11.Dog Food
Back to top Go down
studioguy

studioguy

Number of posts : 840
Registration date : 2009-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Iggy & Stooges in the news   Iggy & Stooges in the news Icon_minitimeFri Nov 13, 2009 5:41 pm

trailerborn wrote:
I'm in full agreement harmonia, I'd just as soon hear brand-new stuff myself.

Williamson's hawaiian instrumental from last year was quite good and a few songs in that vein would be interesting. I'd like them to explore their jazzier tendencies a bit - witness the cool new ending to 'Johanna' and the arrangement of 'Funhouse' at the reunion. I'm not talking tasteful 'Avenue B' or 'Preliminaires' type stuff, but maybe a dirtier, more jagged Birthday Party-ish sound might evolve.

Basically, I'd rather see the musicians run wild than attempt to put out a generic 'rock' album. Left to their own devices, these guys could'nt help but come up with something totally unique.

Same here, I would like to hear some of the '71 era songs and then let them "go wild" in the studio. More "Kill City" than "Raw Power".
Back to top Go down
http://belowgroundsound.com
Iggy Stooge

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Iggy & Stooges in the news   Iggy & Stooges in the news Icon_minitimeSun Nov 15, 2009 10:12 pm

Thanks! Great News!
Back to top Go down
StoogesFan

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2009-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Iggy & Stooges in the news   Iggy & Stooges in the news Icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2009 12:51 am

krugersoldier wrote:
I would like to see these songs in this order re-recorded Smile
Would be a KILLER record Smile and a live album properly recorded with these songs even better!

1.Kill City
2.I Got A Right
3.Open Up And Bleed
4.Head On
5.Night Theme
6.Cock In My Pocket
7.Gimme Some Skin
8.Im Sick Of You
9.Johanna
10.I Got Nothing
11.Dog Food

I don't personally see how they could add anything to I Got A Right, Gimme Some Skin or I'm Sick Of You. The existing recordings are classics and representative of that time. The same goes for the Kill City stuff. I would choose the following tracks for re-recording:

1. Head On
2. Cock In My Pocket
3. Open Up & Bleed
4. Wet My Bed
5. Rubber Legs

Added to this list would hopefully be some new material. The five tracks above are all recognised Stooges tracks, and if some of Ron's unfinished backing tracks could be used for the new stuff it would be perfect. Of course, a live album with the tracklist you suggest would be excellent.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horse 77

Registration date : 2009-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Iggy & Stooges in the news   Iggy & Stooges in the news Icon_minitimeThu Nov 19, 2009 5:03 am

Let's get some Heavy Liquid in there and Rich Bitch.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Iggy & Stooges in the news   Iggy & Stooges in the news Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iggy & Stooges in the news
Page 1 of 1