Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

First album new edition on Rhino Handmade

Go down 
+90
blackout88
Mr. FunBoy
CARLTON
morwells
Five Star Edge
shemp
jdb1982
comaman
heavy liquid
G, F#, E
dtklamf
adams66
hank67
KarlR
specotron
ziggy
jaredlange911
Luzern
LunarTunes
Stranger09
modernlover
Shakes
Triskell
unheard78
liam studebaker
TED
mghifi
trigger
NOS300B
ianianian
rubber legs
rev. mike
berlinberlin
the5thramone37
seventeen
steve2787
Nitebob
Nervousnorvus
johnthelawman
jerrythebarman
ashitanoramen
elvis plebsley
Nadja
TeddyB1018
Radiobirdman73
nkdlunch
Ilmostro
StoogesFan
StoogesMySpaceAdmin
Tyronehell
StoogeFan
Natalie
andrew
mr.datsun
neven
gasman124
sway
Loose1969
napalm_cheetah
kaiserken
ad_hoc
homesickjameswilliamson
gazatthebop
Iguanas
mark
coffeepotman
birchy
Monger
Gimme some skin
Aku
Cato
BackDoorMan@TheMindRoom
freemind
Garageman
jpod
Chris Moise
mc
ElRoi
sweet_sixteen
Petrie Terrace
weed_killer
citizensmurf
stooges
Hectorlovesthestooges
MJG196
rabid_fish
larry fine
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
trailerborn
ggriffin
94 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Gimme some skin

Number of posts : 349
Registration date : 2007-03-10

First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 3:03 am

Little Doll is crappy?!

Not sure if I'll get this.
Back to top Go down
Monger

Monger

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 4:55 am

well,if this sells ok,perhaps that will speed up the Unganos release...like "strike while the iron is hot" sorta thing..but this is a sort of rook
Back to top Go down
Chris Moise

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-05-26

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 8:57 am

Petrie Terrace wrote:

Anyone want to take a shot at explaining how a 2xCD that has 26 tracks, of which 19 have been freely available on CD and vinyl for years -from the same label's parent company no less- can possibly be considered "otherwise unavailable audio"?

I'll take a shot at it. **They are obviously talking about the other 7 tracks**. The press release didn't say the entire audio was unreleased. Did you think they were trying to pull a fast one and trick people into thinking the first Stooges album has never been available?
Back to top Go down
Aku

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 12:00 pm

Nadja wrote:
rabid fish, how is Little Doll 'crappy'????
and like Aku,,yeh I'd love a tape of those noise experiments.

I love "Little Doll" - It's one of my all time favourites and it sounded great on the reunion shows. It's impossibe to say what's the best song on the first album. Every song is great. As far as I know, those noise experiments were never recorded...damn, but it would be great...
(Speaking of experimental side of The Stooges music, - The lack of experimental songs on The Weirdness album was rather dissapointing. Songs like "We Will Fall" and "L.A: Blues" So I really hope they would do more stuff like that too in studio.)
Back to top Go down
birchy

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2009-04-12

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 12:02 pm

Little Doll, is one of my favourite tracks on the album...!!!???
But then I do love Bo Diddley!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
stooges

stooges

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2009-05-16

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 12:15 pm

I know it does not belong here, but now I remembered .. SLIDE, LOST in future have to go on the studio album? or it was only the examination songs?
Back to top Go down
rabid_fish

rabid_fish

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2009-09-19

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 5:07 pm

Nadja wrote:
rabid fish, how is Little Doll 'crappy'????

and like Aku,,yeh I'd love a tape of those noise experiments.

well, i mean it just sound like 1969, a little slower... that's why i think that, from the other songs in the album, it's the crappiest, but it's not a bad song at all...

of course this is just MY point of view, i mey not be right....
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
Petrie Terrace

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 5:48 pm

Chris Moise wrote:
I'll take a shot at it. **They are obviously talking about the other 7 tracks**. The press release didn't say the entire audio was unreleased. Did you think they were trying to pull a fast one and trick people into thinking the first Stooges album has never been available?

No Chris, well spotted, the press release didn't say the entire audio was unreleased. Funnily enough, I never suggested it did, but thanks for pointing it out anyway.

Just to be clear, as you've obviously missed it, the sentences ... "Welcome to Rhino Handmade! We create and release limited editions of otherwise unavailable audio and video goodies from the vast Rhino Archives for sale on the Internet." ... are actually the first sentences of the description Rhino Handmade give for their company on the main page of their website.

Presumably, this new cd being released by their company, and it being up on their website, it's not unreasonable to think the Stooges cd would be covered by this precise description of what it is Rhino Handmade sells. Or did I miss the small print where it said "All except the Stooges CD"?

Another section of their company description reads ... "We focus on material that is either out of print or that has never before been released." ... I think you'd have to accept that their focus was getting a little blurry where the "Collectors Edition" is concerned.

Getting back to your question ..."Did you think they were trying to pull a fast one and trick people into thinking the first Stooges album has never been available?"

No, what I think is they are relying on the bovine consumerism of people who like the Stooges to re-sell the "Deluxe Edition" to the very same people they sold it to last time, except this time for a highly inflated price.

I think that Rhino Handmade, a label that is meant to release "limited editions of otherwise unavailable audio", is being used to release a handful of left over Stooges odds & ends tagged onto the end of a shameless repackaging of a still available Rhino cd, and the reason it's being released through Rhino Handmade, and not just through Rhino as an expanded version of the deluxe edition, which is clearly all it is, is because this way they can charge more money for it.

Or maybe you think that the reason they couldn't fit Asthma Attack, the remaining Cale Mixes, and the mono mix of IWBYD onto the "Deluxe Edition", even though they had them at the time, but can now magically fit them onto the new one, is down to a startling breakthrough in Compact Disc technology?

We all know they are sitting on the Ungano's tape. What would you rather have had, the Ungano's show with these outtakes tagged on? Or this pile of crap? Sorry, pile of crap in a "7” x 7” hardbound booklet" containing a 7" single of a track that's already on the cd anyway, to be quickly followed next year by the Rhino Handmade "Deluxe! Special! Collectors Edition! Ungano's Boxset"?

No need to answer, like your question, that one was purely rhetorical.

I hope your pre-order goes through okay.
Back to top Go down
coffeepotman

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2009-10-02

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 21, 2010 9:50 pm

I'm just happy it's coming out, I've bought many albums multiple times, I got London Calling 4 different times, LP, CD, remastered CD and then 25th anniversary. Raw Power LP, CD, Iggy Crap remix CD and now new remastered CD. Not something I like doing but I also didn't like going to a record store and paying 25-50$ for a bootleg CD. If you're a fan you do things like this.
Back to top Go down
mark

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 12:46 am

Petrie - stop moaning.
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
Petrie Terrace

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 22, 2010 12:52 am

mark wrote:
Petrie - stop moaning.

lol!
Back to top Go down
mark

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 1:30 am

So, does anyone have any news on what the sound quality will be on the Cale mixes on this new release? On the existing 2CD they sound like they might have come from a very good good first gen cassette - acceptable enough, but there's a touch of hiss and to my ears they run very slightly fast. Has a better source been found this time round? Or failing that, has there been any remastering/restoration to bring the existing tapes up a notch?

No biggie if not as the previous release of these tracks sounded fine really. Just curious.
Back to top Go down
rabid_fish

rabid_fish

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2009-09-19

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 10:04 pm

it's supposedly gonna be released on 4/19/10...
Back to top Go down
Iguanas

Iguanas

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2007-07-30

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 10:21 pm

Back to top Go down
http://free-zg.t-com.hr/JesusLovesTheStooges/
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2009-06-02

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 10:34 pm

Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 10:42 pm

thanks for the update

great to hear at least a snippet of asthma attack - sounds like LA Blues experimentation thing

so w/ $12 shipping its around $60 - so like £40; not too bad, but i feel a similar thing with the raw power box, that its got a high price tag for the 'collectors' stuff, like vinyl singles booklets etc

don't know how quickly i'll get this one either; just saw a video of the raw power box, and i'm really interested in getting that - but this would be great too

is this (or raw power deluxe) numbered?

HJW

edit;

fuck it, just listened to some of the tracks again, brilliant album, package looks amazing, gonna have to get it, one of the best albums ever recorded

and just listening to the alternate not right and little doll - i know people have called it primative etc but theres a sophistication about it, about the sound - maybe thats just the production

definitely have to get this and raw power - and my flight to london; damn the stooges will bankrupt me this year! all worth it though
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2009-06-02

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 11:05 pm

i would swap five copies of the raw power deluxe for one copy of the handmade "Stooges",
i have heard the deluxe RP and am not impressed!

Last edited by gazatthebop on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 24, 2010 11:51 pm

Damn! Asthma Attack sounds like it would have fit in really nicely on the end of Unganos.
Back to top Go down
ad_hoc

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-11-20

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 12:42 am

don't know, kind of mixed feelings about this one.
first of all, as opposed to others here, i think that 50$ is
quite an expensive price to charge for a 2cd set. i mean, there is no extras such as
a comprehensive booklet, dvd or anything of that sort, that would make this release legit and worth the price of admission,
just a nice package (i say oh my and i boo hoo).
second, i do find it to be very cynical on their behalf , holding back on their last crumbs (the cale mixes etc,)
only to make another quick buck.
and to add insult to injury, charging $49.98 and next to it stating that there is free shipping on all orders over 50$.
i mean, that sort of cynicism and greed is what made me glad to see the demise of the evil empire (record companies) in the first place.
and riding on the whole induction thing, come on, this is not a case of giving a credit when one's due,
this is more like giving a credit card. seems more like the great rock n 'roll (h.o.f) swindle.
perhaps they should have titled this release "i wanna be your (capitalist) pig".
but hey, with that being said, i wish i could promise myself that i won't fall for that,
but i'm afraid that in the end i would just reach back to my own vomit like a dog.

(quite sure that there is no need to point out the good aspect of it)

Last edited by ad_hoc on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:34 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Garageman

Garageman

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 12:57 am

I placed my order. $12 shipping is not bad, and I do prefer this album to Raw Power, but of course I've already ordered the Deluxe-version of that too...
Back to top Go down
kaiserken

kaiserken

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-07-07

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 2:09 am

I love the Stooges, but I just can't see buying all this shit over and over. Rhino are just taking advantage of the fans.
Back to top Go down
napalm_cheetah

napalm_cheetah

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2008-05-11

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 2:51 am

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
great to hear at least a snippet of asthma attack - sounds like LA Blues experimentation thing
Yeah, kind of like a proto version to LA Blues. It sounds great and I really liked it but I'm not sure if I can buy the album...
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 4:34 am

I previewed it...think I'm gonna pass until the price drops into the reasonable range.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
sway

sway

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2009-08-06

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 6:18 am

Asthma Attack sounds brutal as all fuck....can't wait.
Back to top Go down
Monger

Monger

Number of posts : 207
Registration date : 2008-08-20

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 6:37 am

while i think rhino is doing a gouge job on this.....remember the funhouse set that people fucked off last time..50 bucks now..or 150 on evilbay later....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First album new edition on Rhino Handmade
Page 2 of 15Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 15  Next