Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

First album new edition on Rhino Handmade

Go down 
+90
blackout88
Mr. FunBoy
CARLTON
morwells
Five Star Edge
shemp
jdb1982
comaman
heavy liquid
G, F#, E
dtklamf
adams66
hank67
KarlR
specotron
ziggy
jaredlange911
Luzern
LunarTunes
Stranger09
modernlover
Shakes
Triskell
unheard78
liam studebaker
TED
mghifi
trigger
NOS300B
ianianian
rubber legs
rev. mike
berlinberlin
the5thramone37
seventeen
steve2787
Nitebob
Nervousnorvus
johnthelawman
jerrythebarman
ashitanoramen
elvis plebsley
Nadja
TeddyB1018
Radiobirdman73
nkdlunch
Ilmostro
StoogesFan
StoogesMySpaceAdmin
Tyronehell
StoogeFan
Natalie
andrew
mr.datsun
neven
gasman124
sway
Loose1969
napalm_cheetah
kaiserken
ad_hoc
homesickjameswilliamson
gazatthebop
Iguanas
mark
coffeepotman
birchy
Monger
Gimme some skin
Aku
Cato
BackDoorMan@TheMindRoom
freemind
Garageman
jpod
Chris Moise
mc
ElRoi
sweet_sixteen
Petrie Terrace
weed_killer
citizensmurf
stooges
Hectorlovesthestooges
MJG196
rabid_fish
larry fine
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
trailerborn
ggriffin
94 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
AuthorMessage
ad_hoc

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-11-20

First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 7:17 pm

hi,
i'm jumping on the pm wagon here.
would really appreciate it if someone could please provide me with
a d/l link as well.

thanks.

Last edited by ad_hoc on Wed May 26, 2010 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 7:33 pm

well, if everyone else is putting their name in...

i'd love to hear this version

i hope Rhino fix this set, or failing that i hope they dont mess up the funhouse set (which is more than likely going to appear) and have unganos running either too fast or too slow

unganos will be briliant to hear though

HJW
Back to top Go down
larry fine

larry fine

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-01-15

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 9:27 pm

Here is the latest communication from Rhino regarding the Cale mix speed issue -

Dear Mr. -----,

Thank you for contacting Rhino.
We would like to inform you the Cale mixes sound on the CD is how they sound on the original tape, on which they were discovered. We have not corrected or remastered these mixes on the replacement discs.

We are currently looking into the issue and will update as soon as possible.

I apologize for the delay/inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

I believe it was sent from their India based customer service center. When I actually spoke to someone at that center I was told that the speed was as it was because they didn't remaster the tapes. I asked the gentleman if he knew what remastering was and if he realized that his answer didn't really answer the question. He admitted he didn't and told me that it was the answer he got from his boss.

I can't really blame these folks - they are simply doing their job to the best of their abilities. I would place a great deal of the blame on Warner Bros. records. It is they who bought Rhino and turned them into what they have become - a once great reissue company now reduced to releasing inferior product and farming their customer service out to people who know no more about these reissues than they know about microwaves or lawn mowers. It is a real shame.

I guess my next step will be to pass this email along to the Ask Dr. Rhino email address and see if someone in Burbank can enlighten me any further.
Back to top Go down
comaman

comaman

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 11:09 pm

I would also like what everybody else here wants. Please PM me a link. THANKS in advance!
Back to top Go down
rev. mike

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2010-05-04

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 13 Icon_minitimeWed May 26, 2010 11:59 pm

I just called customer service and asked for a refund because this issue was not corrected (as I was told in an email it would be). They told me they could not initiate a return and refund because it had been longer than 30 days since shipment. I will quote this from the Rhino website:

"If you are not 100% satisfied with your purchase, we will be happy to accept a return for a replacement, exchange (for item(s) of comparable value) or a refund. You can return your purchase for up to 3 months from the purchase date."

Then I started a credit card dispute.
Back to top Go down
specotron

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 12:12 am

Geez... Rhino has gone down the toilet.

What to do if and when they issue the Ugano's concert?
Take a chance to hear the concert of a lifetime or tell them to f**k off?
Back to top Go down
jdb1982

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2010-05-27

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 12:26 am

I'm new here but would dig a download link for the corrected speed cale mixes. I understand if I don't get a link since I just signed up here.
Back to top Go down
mr.datsun

mr.datsun

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2010-03-23

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 2:13 am

specotron wrote:
Having now heard the Cale mix at the correct speed, can't help but wonder, what was he thinking? Don't get me wrong here... John Cale is by far one of my very favorite artists; I have virtually everything he ever recorded and have been a fan since 1968 when I first heard The Velvet Underground. That said, what an strange mix... fade-ins and fade-outs that make no sense (i.e.: I Wanna Be Your Dog), guitar solos lowered and lifted in the mix for no apparent reason, etc. I suppose in 1969, Cale was just beginning what was otherwise a very successful producer career and wasn't quite sure how to handle it as a studio neophyte.

I don't think it's quite as off wack as you describe it. Yes, the weirdness in levels during I Wanna Be Your Dog sounds wrong but it sound so wrong that it might be yet another a mistake in the new mastering because it's not there, to my ears, on the 2005 version. Listening to the 2005 version I think I can hear a bit tape damage just where the sudden 30 second fade out occurs in the 2010 version (around 1.30) which might also be a clue that the damage was made worse in the new version.

The only other strange fade in is how Real Cool Time starts which probably is deliberate.

Cale may have been a neophyte producing other bands but to my understanding he was a key to the recorded sound of the early Velvets in the studio (apart from when Reed famously went in without the band and remixed I Heard Her Call My Name). And Marble Index is also recognised as a masterpiece of studio sound composition. But yes, he may have had trouble handling Iggy and co.

For the final release of Stooges I think they actually took much of Cale's mix and modified it for the final release making things a little more normal, like moving hand-claps and percussion to the centre of 1969 (the strange balance of which I really like in Cale's version).

I think we also have to remember that this is not a hi fi version of Cale's mix.
Back to top Go down
specotron

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 3:17 am

Okay, Mr. Datsun... your points are well taken. Listened again and realized what was in vaults was probably more at fault than it was with Cale. In fact, thank you for reminding about the contemporaneous Marble Index... perhaps one of the best, if not the best produced albums of all time.
Back to top Go down
KarlR

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2009-02-21

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 4:15 am

Thanks to the kind forum member for doing the speed-correction on the Cale mix. I'm listening to it at the moment & it's certainly nice to hear it without Iggy & the rest of the band sounding like they're on mogadons. Haven't compared it with the '05 version yet, but the speed corrected version is certainly an improvement over the recent Rhino job. Muchas gracias!
Back to top Go down
shemp

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-05-09

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 6:16 am

I'm new here, too, but as another unsatisfied owner of this Rhino set, I figure I also might as well ask about the location of the speed-corrected Cale mixes.

At least Rhino's packaging standards are still good. (Aside from the whole wrong-colored-labels-on-wrong-discs thing, I guess.)
Back to top Go down
seventeen

seventeen

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 9:35 am

I'd love a warm PM too !
Back to top Go down
http://www.seventeenrecords.com
TeddyB1018

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-07-06

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 9:40 am

Gosh, I've asked but no love. I'm feeling left out. Can't I get a PM from some kind Stooges fan?
Back to top Go down
Tyronehell

Tyronehell

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2009-11-01

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 12:10 pm

Can some nice person pm me with it please.
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2009-06-02

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 2:26 pm

KarlR wrote:
Thanks to the kind forum member for doing the speed-correction on the Cale mix. I'm listening to it at the moment & it's certainly nice to hear it without Iggy & the rest of the band sounding like they're on mogadons. Haven't compared it with the '05 version yet, but the speed corrected version is certainly an improvement over the recent Rhino job. Muchas gracias!

Cale did not produce Nico's Marble Index he did the arrangements.

Last edited by gazatthebop on Thu May 27, 2010 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ziggy

ziggy

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2010-04-11

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 2:32 pm

Yeah, he did all the artistic work and gave orders... That's kinda like producing, but the official produceur was there to push the buttons.
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2009-06-02

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 2:37 pm

Cale talks about the producer having to change his name around this time as he was running an international car theft operation.
Back to top Go down
unheard78

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2010-05-15

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 3:03 pm

Just a quick note, hopefully people are sharing the Cale mix but anyone who would like a link who doesn't have one yet, PM me and I'll help you out. I've been responding to PMs a lot but not the message boards, so please do me a favor and send me a PM if you don't have a copy yet.
Back to top Go down
http://unheard78.blogspot.com
Five Star Edge

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-04-22

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 7:39 pm

Can I get a PM too with the Cale tracks? Many thanks!
Back to top Go down
mr.datsun

mr.datsun

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 13 Icon_minitimeThu May 27, 2010 9:13 pm

I have heard nothing back form Rhino concerning the speed (and other issues I have) with the set. Over a week since I wrote. I want to get a refund. The poster above said that he was going to pursue it through his credit card. Id' like to hear from anyone else who is looking to ask for a refund.

I wrote to dr.rhino but is there a better approach?

thanks

Datsun D. Datsun.
Back to top Go down
Chris Moise

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-05-26

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 2:02 am

I've heard nothing either but to be fair I haven't called yet. I hate to do this but insisting that the drastically wrong speed is somehow right burns my ass. I would've been happy with an acknowledgement of the error and token online coupon.
Back to top Go down
morwells

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-05-28

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 9:44 am

Five Star Edge wrote:
Can I get a PM too with the Cale tracks? Many thanks!

I am new to this forum as well. I hope that is not a liability as i have ben struggling with this awful slow speed mix for a week now thinking it was just me. Finding this place has been a blessing
So i hope some kind person will please take pity and send me a link to the speed corrected version

Thank you kindly in advance
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

trailerborn

Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 13 Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 4:23 pm

I wouldn't expect too much from Rhino at this point - the president is stepping down:

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3i7c717df4a3ba58ebebcef639388e5921

Like most of the record industry, they are hemorrhaging money. According to one industry forum they paid out $28 million to the Bee Gees a few years back and have only recouped $3 million so far. I'm sure that's just the tip of the iceberg.
Back to top Go down
mr.datsun

mr.datsun

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 2:50 pm

Since I have heard nothing directly from Rhino (ie. dr. rhino) since I wrote to them with a complaint on the 18th of May,

I have written again to them asking for action or refund and

I have written to Record Collector, Rolling Stone magazine and NME.
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 13 Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 3:00 pm

Quote :
According to one industry forum they paid out $28 million to the Bee Gees a few years back and have only recouped $3 million so far. I'm sure that's just the tip of the iceberg.

that would be for those expensive boxes and editions of the Bee Gees early albums? £28m!! I read about those, and thought, expensive, and do I need them?? I decided the obvious answer, happy with a greatest hits or two, even of the early stuff...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 13 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First album new edition on Rhino Handmade
Page 13 of 15Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next