Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

First album new edition on Rhino Handmade

Go down 
+90
blackout88
Mr. FunBoy
CARLTON
morwells
Five Star Edge
shemp
jdb1982
comaman
heavy liquid
G, F#, E
dtklamf
adams66
hank67
KarlR
specotron
ziggy
jaredlange911
Luzern
LunarTunes
Stranger09
modernlover
Shakes
Triskell
unheard78
liam studebaker
TED
mghifi
trigger
NOS300B
ianianian
rubber legs
rev. mike
berlinberlin
the5thramone37
seventeen
steve2787
Nitebob
Nervousnorvus
johnthelawman
jerrythebarman
ashitanoramen
elvis plebsley
Nadja
TeddyB1018
Radiobirdman73
nkdlunch
Ilmostro
StoogesFan
StoogesMySpaceAdmin
Tyronehell
StoogeFan
Natalie
andrew
mr.datsun
neven
gasman124
sway
Loose1969
napalm_cheetah
kaiserken
ad_hoc
homesickjameswilliamson
gazatthebop
Iguanas
mark
coffeepotman
birchy
Monger
Gimme some skin
Aku
Cato
BackDoorMan@TheMindRoom
freemind
Garageman
jpod
Chris Moise
mc
ElRoi
sweet_sixteen
Petrie Terrace
weed_killer
citizensmurf
stooges
Hectorlovesthestooges
MJG196
rabid_fish
larry fine
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
trailerborn
ggriffin
94 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next
AuthorMessage
Garageman

Garageman

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2008-03-19

First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 9:49 am

Garageman wrote:
I placed my order. $12 shipping is not bad, and I do prefer this album to Raw Power, but of course I've already ordered the Deluxe-version of that too...

I meant the Legacy-version, of course. I shouldn't write anything asleep.
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2009-06-02

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 10:03 am

Rhino are just taking advantage of the fans.[/quote]

not if you believe that the extra tracks were not available ("found") until after the 2005 2x CD remaster. I would hate to know these tracks existed and Rhino had made the decision not to release them. Yes they are expensive but the record industry is in crisis so i'm just glad i can get my hands on a copy...owning a 7" of "Asthma Attack" is pretty cool whatever the cost
Back to top Go down
gasman124

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-09-01

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 7:15 pm

Is it my ears or to the cale mixes sound a lot better on these short samples?
Back to top Go down
mark

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2009-02-26

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 8:13 pm

I'm not sure... it sounds like the tape is running rather slow, and there's a slight amount of hiss. Bit annoying really, they could have cleaned that up very easily.
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 8:30 pm

maybe the hiss is just a result of low quality streaming
Back to top Go down
mark

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 8:32 pm

It ain't there on the non-Cale tracks.
Back to top Go down
napalm_cheetah

napalm_cheetah

Number of posts : 545
Registration date : 2008-05-11

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 8:40 pm

mark wrote:
I'm not sure... it sounds like the tape is running rather slow
yeah, you're right. The cale mix sounds slower on these samples than the cale tracks thats on the deluxe edition.
Back to top Go down
mark

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 8:43 pm

Rule 1 for record labels working on Stooges reissues: No matter how much work is being done on the release, make sure you fuck it up somehow, ideally in a really elementary way.
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 9:08 pm

I have contacted Cale's office in LA to make him aware of this issue, he really cares about that album so if the release date is delayed.....
Back to top Go down
mark

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 25, 2010 11:30 pm

gazatthebop wrote:
he really cares about that album
Laughing
Back to top Go down
Chris Moise

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-05-26

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 6:57 am

gazatthebop wrote:
I have contacted Cale's office in LA to make him aware of this issue, he really cares about that album so if the release date is delayed.....

Did it occur to you that the Cale mixes on the 2005 reissue, the ones sourced from a cassette, might be the one with the tracks at the wrong speed?
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 10:19 am

The timings are different on the Cale mixes on three of the tracks from the 2005 version.

1969 was (2:45) new version-->2:57
i wanna be your dog was (3:26) new version---> 3:42
little doll was (2:49) new version-->3:05
no fun remains the same @ 4:42

as long as they are released i dont care what speed they play at, i can alter that myself! No reply from Cale, he's in Poland
Back to top Go down
mark

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 3:15 pm

Chris Moise wrote:
Did it occur to you that the Cale mixes on the 2005 reissue, the ones sourced from a cassette, might be the one with the tracks at the wrong speed?
The 2005 ones run slightly fast I think. The new ones run slow.

Seriously, where does this stuff get mastered? The Fuck-Up Factory?
Back to top Go down
Petrie Terrace
"Flame On!"
Petrie Terrace

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2008-01-05

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 4:13 pm

Mark - stop moaning.
Back to top Go down
mark

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 4:48 pm

I saw that one coming!
Back to top Go down
Garageman

Garageman

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 8:35 pm

I used to like Rhino in the old days. Crying or Very sad

Now I'm starting to regret ordering this.
Back to top Go down
neven

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 26, 2010 11:58 pm

promos for the cale mixes of the deluxe version of the first album also sounded too slow,but this was fixed with the stock copies
Back to top Go down
mr.datsun

mr.datsun

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2010-03-23

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 1:56 am

Chris Moise wrote:
gazatthebop wrote:

Earlier in this thread someone suggested that the 2005 Cale mixes were sourced from cassette. Your statement 'the ones sourced from a cassette' sounds like more than hearsay. I never heard this before. Could you verify your sources, please? I'd really like to know if this is fact or in the realm of supposition?
Back to top Go down
mr.datsun

mr.datsun

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 1:58 am

gazatthebop wrote:
The timings are different on the Cale mixes on three of the tracks from the 2005 version.

1969 was (2:45) new version-->2:57
i wanna be your dog was (3:26) new version---> 3:42
little doll was (2:49) new version-->3:05
no fun remains the same @ 4:42

as long as they are released i dont care what speed they play at, i can alter that myself! No reply from Cale, he's in Poland

Different track timings is no indication of speed differences in itself. Could be different track lengths (fade outs) or a mistake in track timings.
Back to top Go down
mr.datsun

mr.datsun

PostSubject: regarding Cale mix sound quality opinions   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 2:06 am

The Rhino samples of the new CD set are streaming 128kbps mp3. I don't see that such shoddy source material is anything to base sound quality judgements on, with regards speed differences and tape sources. Personally, I'd rather wait until I hear it before casting stones about and the such.
Back to top Go down
andrew

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 3:46 pm

Was wondering if anyone had contacted Rhino themselves about the apparent speed issue on the Cale stuff?
Back to top Go down
Chris Moise

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2009-05-26

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 8:00 pm

mr.datsun wrote:

Earlier in this thread someone suggested that the 2005 Cale mixes were sourced from cassette. Your statement 'the ones sourced from a cassette' sounds like more than hearsay. I never heard this before. Could you verify your sources, please? I'd really like to know if this is fact or in the realm of supposition?

I'm positive I read they were sourced from cassettes Danny Fields had "in a storage locker" but I don't remember where I read that.
Back to top Go down
mr.datsun

mr.datsun

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 9:20 pm

Chris Moise wrote:
mr.datsun wrote:

I'm positive I read they were sourced from cassettes Danny Fields had "in a storage locker" but I don't remember where I read that.

Thanks for the info. I kind of half-realised that they weren't as good as the released lp mixes but was surprised to hear that could have come from cassette. They sounded too good for that. However the rumour is that the new set is from better tapes discovered after the double Cd was issued. Let's hope that this is the case and is the real reason for this second effort at the 1st LP material release. I think in these cases record companies should be up front about such details as recording provenance. Being transparent about the process can only improve things in the minds of their customers.
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 9:31 pm

didn't hunter s thompson once point out that "the music business is a cruel and shallow money trench"
Back to top Go down
Garageman

Garageman

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 27, 2010 11:42 pm

I would've expected them to release the Cale-mixes as a limited, numbered "alternative album" or something like that coupled with whatever outtakes they now have. Why include the original album, which everyone already must own, at least if they're going to buy this?

I'd rather have preferred a box like the "Complete Fun House Sessions".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First album new edition on Rhino Handmade   First album new edition on Rhino Handmade - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First album new edition on Rhino Handmade
Page 3 of 15Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9 ... 15  Next