Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Where do I start?

Go down 
+7
Loose1969
TED
krugersoldier
harmonia
msteeln
G, F#, E
Spaceboy
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Spaceboy

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2010-04-07

Where do I start? Empty
PostSubject: Where do I start?   Where do I start? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 2:15 am

I'm just starting to discover the music of Iggy and The Stooges (I know Iggy's handful of hits of course), and was wondering what the best place to start is. Should I start with a greatest hits type album or start at the start? Are their any particular albums that anyone could recommend? I've got a lot of music to listen to, so any help would be awesome.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

Where do I start? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where do I start?   Where do I start? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 2:20 am

"The Stooges", "Fun House" and "Raw Power". I'd start with the latter as its the most "accesable" then the self-titled debut and finally "Fun House". That way its the easiest to get into them and you're leaving the best till last Wink After that you can work your way through the demos.
Back to top Go down
msteeln

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2010-01-08

Where do I start? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where do I start?   Where do I start? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 6:22 am

Just go for the money shot - Metalic KO X 2. If you can dig that then you know you're a Stooges fan.
Back to top Go down
Spaceboy

Where do I start? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where do I start?   Where do I start? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 6:53 am

Looks like a trip to the local record store is in order. Thanks for the tips. Surely I'll be able to find one or two of those albums.
Back to top Go down
harmonia

harmonia

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-09-29

Where do I start? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where do I start?   Where do I start? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 2:26 pm

Welcome Spaceboy. Basically you can't go wrong with buying any of the first 3 "The Stooges", "Fun House" or "Raw Power". They are all different, you will find some fans have preferences, but best listen without prejudice and make your own mind up. From there on the Bowie Albums "idiot" & "lust for life" are the next essentail purchases but any of the other iggy albums can be pretty variable with a fair share of fillers and clunkers on them*
"Kill City" & "Metallic KO" are pretty cool but like alot of the Stooges bootleg material i.e stuff on bomp, easy action labels you need to be a fully addicted sttoge fan to appreciate them as sound quality generally is not that good.

* My personal Iggy solo fav after the Bowie stuff is New Values and that may well be worth considering next but I sure others will have different opinions Laughing

Last edited by harmonia on Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
krugersoldier

krugersoldier

Number of posts : 260
Registration date : 2008-02-20

Where do I start? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where do I start?   Where do I start? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 2:30 pm

What Harmonia said Smile
Back to top Go down
TED
A funhouse boy will steal your heart away
TED

Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2007-06-24

Where do I start? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where do I start?   Where do I start? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 4:08 pm

I would start at the beginning.
The Stooges
FunHouse
Raw Power. Where do I start? 687324
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

Where do I start? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where do I start?   Where do I start? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 5:30 pm

TED wrote:
The Stooges
FunHouse

I concur.

Raw Power just might scare you off if you haven't already warmed up to the Stooges. But once you've gotten into the band you'll love it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
trailerborn

trailerborn

Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Where do I start? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where do I start?   Where do I start? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 09, 2010 7:00 pm

Do like I did: Listen to nothing but shitty AM/FM radio for 15 years - the same 20 classic-rock tunes in endless rotation, weak-ass 80's songs by those same bands, wanky moustache-metal and a bit of the lamer new-wave stuff. THEN get wasted and listen to a used/stolen copy of Funhouse.
Back to top Go down
Spaceboy

Where do I start? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where do I start?   Where do I start? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 3:28 pm

OK, I decided to go with whatever album I found first. Call me crazy, but Iended up getting The Stooges (Deluxe Edition). I've listened to it about four or five times already. I love it. Stand out tracks for me were 1969, I Wanna be Your Dog, No Fun (Full Version) , Ann (Full Version). I'm sure the other tracks will grow on me in time. I didn't enjoy the John Cale mixes.

Was the song Ann named after Ann Arbor where Iggy grew up?
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Where do I start? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where do I start?   Where do I start? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 11, 2010 5:13 pm

Hi Spaceboy, the first album was the one I listened to first also (although not the deluxe edition) and it's always remained the best for me. When I first heard it, the songs you name were the ones that stood out for me as well.
Back to top Go down
Spaceboy

Where do I start? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where do I start?   Where do I start? Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 4:46 am

I'm a massive Bowie fan, so when i get to Raw Power it will be interesting to see if i can up any Bowie-isms on it. I think it would be pretty cool if Bowie and Iggy worked together again. I wouldn't hold my breath though.
Back to top Go down
sway

sway

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2009-08-06

Where do I start? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where do I start?   Where do I start? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 4:27 am

G, F#, E wrote:
"The Stooges", "Fun House" and "Raw Power". I'd start with the latter as its the most "accesable" then the self-titled debut and finally "Fun House". That way its the easiest to get into them and you're leaving the best till last Wink After that you can work your way through the demos.

nice.
Back to top Go down
mr.datsun

mr.datsun

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2010-03-23

Where do I start? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where do I start?   Where do I start? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 15, 2010 7:22 am

TED wrote:
The Stooges
FunHouse

I would agree and then controversially I'd say – stop right there. Nothing that came after does anything to extend the brilliant body of work in those three LPs. All the post Raw Power outtakes, rehearsals and dodgy live recordings just dilute the vision.

And Iggy Pop as a solo artist is a different question.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Where do I start? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where do I start?   Where do I start? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Where do I start?
Page 1 of 1