Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood

Go down 
+9
boogie
StoogesMySpaceAdmin
msteeln
ElRoi
G, F#, E
Natalie
Perdu
TED
larry fine
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
larry fine

larry fine

Number of posts : 234
Registration date : 2009-01-15

Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood Empty
PostSubject: Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood   Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 12:15 pm

The Egyptian Theater in Hollywood is doing a showing of the Raw Power documentary next Monday April 26. It is an invite only thing - no tickets will be sold - but it doesn't seem too difficult to score an invite as I was able to get one.

The film will be followed by a Q & A with the producer Brenna Sanchez, director Morgan Neville, Robert Matheu and James Williamson. James will also be autographing copies of Raw Power that will be available for purchase there.

Any other L.A. types (or otherwise) planning to attend?
Back to top Go down
TED
A funhouse boy will steal your heart away
TED

Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood   Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 1:50 pm

I thought the Stooges were in Europe What a Face
Back to top Go down
larry fine

larry fine

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood   Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 4:27 pm

The only gigs listed on Pollstar.com are these -

Sun 05/02/10 London, United Kingdom HMV Hammersmith Apollo

Mon 05/03/10 London, United Kingdom HMV Hammersmith Apollo

Appearing at "NXNE Festival"
Sat 06/19/10 Toronto, ON Yonge Dundas Square

Appearing at "Sonisphere Festival"
Sat 08/07/10 Stockholm, Sweden Stora Skuggan

Appearing at "All Tomorrow's Parties"
Fri 09/03/10 Monticello, NY Kutshers Country Club & Resort

So they have some time off and are, presumably, back in the States.
Back to top Go down
TED
A funhouse boy will steal your heart away
TED

Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood   Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 5:50 pm

Maybe they got a flight despite the volcanic disruption affraid
Back to top Go down
Perdu

Perdu

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood   Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 6:28 pm

Since I've been assured that Sony will provide security against possible court summons served by Mainman, probably yes. The point of contention is that Mainman claims ownership of anything to do with the Stooges 1971 - 1981, even if it wasn't generated by their organization.
Suicide

Flight has resumed from Europe, sporadically. It appears as if the EuroTour wisely was booked to feature a week or so off to return home between tour areas, with this one disrupted by volcano. Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood 780554
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood   Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 9:09 pm

There is a gig in Madrid April 30th. Then London and the festival.

What a crock of shit that is about Mainman! If they "owned" the Stooges until 1981, where was their support on the 71, 73 and 74 tours?

Maybe I should join in to obtain all the things I lent them and they never returned?

DeFries be damned! He really is the devil!

Devil Devil Devil Dog

Boo-hiss!!!!
Back to top Go down
larry fine

larry fine

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood   Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 9:43 pm

Can I say that I didn't understand the part about MainMan?

Who would be getting a summons? For what? Forgive me but I am just curious about it. If it's none of my business than so be it.

Perdu, are you in L.A.?
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood   Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 10:24 pm

Could you clear this up? Weren't The Stooges not signed till 1972 (Iggy and James were '71 though) and weren't they dropped in '73?
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood   Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 10:42 pm

To the best of my recollection, Iggy and James got signed late into 71. Ron and Scott were signed in early summer of 72. By the 73 tour, Mainman was no longer representing them. I was led to believe this during the 73 tour. I did not see any documentation of any of this but it was discussed among us.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

Number of posts : 528
Registration date : 2009-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood   Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 10:56 pm

This is a bit off topic, but since they are promoting the RP re-release in LA with a viewing of the doc, why are they not doing some shows here rather than traipsing all over Europe? I understand they are hugely popular in other parts of the world, but you would think if they were desiring to garner the recognition in the US that were they so wrongly denied in the early years that they would have wanted to mount a tour her as soon as possible to take advantage of the RRHF induction and the RP re-release. They don't need the benefit of those two event as a means of hype elsewhere, but here in the states where people have such a short attention span that sort of media attention is crucial for reestablishing your career(s). I know they're playing ATP in NY this September and I really hope that is the beginning of some sort of serious US tour.
Back to top Go down
msteeln

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2010-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood   Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood Icon_minitimeWed Apr 21, 2010 11:00 pm

ElRoi wrote:
This is a bit off topic, but since they are promoting the RP re-release in LA with a viewing of the doc, why are they not doing some shows here rather than traipsing all over Europe? I understand they are hugely popular in other parts of the world, but you would think if they were desiring to garner the recognition in the US that were they so wrongly denied in the early years that they would have wanted to mount a tour her as soon as possible to take advantage of the RRHF induction and the RP re-release. They don't need the benefit of those two event as a means of hype elsewhere, but here in the states where people have such a short attention span that sort of media attention is crucial for reestablishing your career(s). I know they're playing ATP in NY this September and I really hope that is the beginning of some sort of serious US tour.
It's about the $, and Europe is where the lion's share is at present for them. America knows by now, and still not too many seem to care.
Back to top Go down
ElRoi

ElRoi

Number of posts : 528
Registration date : 2009-09-10

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood   Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 12:07 am

True. But, the US is where the real $ resides if you can get it. My point if you want Americans to care you have to convince them care and with all the current hype, now is the time for that convincing to occur. Not 6 months from now when the hype has begun to fade and Americas short attention span has started to kick in. They should have done a surprise gig in NY a day or two prior to the RRHF induction. I guarantee you if they had planned some US tour dates and announced them with some serious promotion immediately after the induction, they would have sold those dates out. Instead they are waiting until September and making their US debut at a freaking festival. Sure their is quick and easy money in festivals, but that is merely short term thinking when it comes to re-establishing yourselves in a market. You want to appear to be a returning champion, not merely the center attraction in a traveling circus. I guess the festival touring does give James the opportunity to get back into the groove before they hopefully mount a major US tour.
Back to top Go down
msteeln

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2010-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood   Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 12:37 am

The Stooges are never going to gain immense acceptence to fill US arenas, and for that we can always take pride in that we love them and screw those ligering masses that still don't get it and never will. I'm thinking Ig has a plan that will do what you say, just not yet. Building up momentum across the world could be towards the American audience's benefit and lead to even better venues and bigger payouts for the boys when they do tour here. Patience is a bitch, but US Stooge-o-philes just gotta wait. Be glad for the net and that you'll be able to see them eventually, providing nobody else drops... as James said he doubts they'll ever hit my neighborhood.
Back to top Go down
Perdu

Perdu

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood   Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 12:49 am

Hmmm. Discretion is always the word on ongoing legal matters. As stated, Mainman believes it controls all the rights to anything done by Iggy from 1971 - 1981. Period. As in anything that appears anywhere, press, online, anywhere, should have been licensed through and monies paid directly to Mainman. It doesn't matter that they dropped them as clients, that's their position. I'm not going to go into what I've heard that disputes that as i don't want to give away strategies. If anyone feels affected by this, pm me (and prove you're not a MMTek2 spy.)
whip
Elroi, i'm disappointed at the lack of domestic US shows, but consider that Iggy and current mgmt. have superb contacts for all the well-paying Euro-festivals from past appearances, festivals which, after all, comport themselves like American ones used to. Nowadays, US festivals can be sort of ... brutal and nasty. But any appearance west of the Mississippi would be doable for me. And at least they have a "three-year plaln" to include us.
Back to top Go down
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2007-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood   Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood Icon_minitimeSun Apr 25, 2010 2:24 am

All tour dates are @ the myspace page and iggypop.org.

I get them personally from management. Not sure who Cathy gets hers from.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/iggyandthestooges
Perdu

Perdu

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood   Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 12:33 am

Back to top Go down
boogie

boogie

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2009-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood   Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 1:27 am

The kill city girl!!! affraid
Back to top Go down
Radiobirdman73

Radiobirdman73

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood   Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 1:31 am

boogie wrote:
The kill city girl!!! affraid

that's cool - she was James' underage girlfriend during that time. Still cute after all these years
Back to top Go down
Iguanas

Iguanas

Number of posts : 339
Registration date : 2007-07-30

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood   Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 8:59 am

Back to top Go down
http://free-zg.t-com.hr/JesusLovesTheStooges/
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2007-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood   Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 1:37 pm

That would be Evita (the kill city girl.) There is an interview with her that I did a few years ago. It's in the blog.

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=28857666&blogId=150208208
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/iggyandthestooges
Radiobirdman73

Radiobirdman73

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood   Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 5:49 pm

StoogesMySpaceAdmin wrote:
That would be Evita (the kill city girl.) There is an interview with her that I did a few years ago. It's in the blog.

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=28857666&blogId=150208208

excellent - thanks for posting that
Back to top Go down
Perdu

Perdu

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood   Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 7:10 pm

She's not only still quite the beauty in person, but nice as well. She owns her own fashion design business and store Velvet Threads in L.A.
Back to top Go down
boogie

boogie

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2009-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood   Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 7:44 pm

I heard she wasn't involved in the kill city remix.What a shame...
Back to top Go down
Perdu

Perdu

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood   Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 8:00 pm

I don't have any info on the Kill City re-release, but I know for a fact how hard it is to license the late Suzan Carson's photographs from Getty images. They don't even identify what few they display as hers, and the Kill City stuff is buried unheralded in their archives. This wasn't how it was supposed to be. Her photo estate was initially given over to the Michael Ochs Archives, since Michael (yes, the late Phil's brother) is a pretty straightforward guy. But his archive grew too unwieldy (took up most of his house,) our colleague Brad Elterman sold his own life's work to Getty images and retired a millionaire, and Michael succumbed to the irresistible chance for some profit of his former hobby. Michael initially started his archive when he worked for a major record company, fishing discarded but to him (and all of us) valuable old promo photos out of the company's trash! Doh

Last edited by Perdu on Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood   Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 9:18 pm

Quote :
Michael Ochs Archives, since Michael (yes, the late Phil's brother)

Wow, never knew that, I love Phil Ochs' music
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood   Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Raw Power Documentary in Hollywood
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next