Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Not one mention of Ron

Go down 
+17
Triskell
msteeln
Loose1969
Nadja
Aku
MJG196
kaiserken
larry fine
Natalie
Perdu
studioguy
Lucas
Radiobirdman73
Rob Gallucci
homesickjameswilliamson
Petrie Terrace
G, F#, E
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

Not one mention of Ron - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 09, 2010 8:23 pm

Nadja wrote:
great to see that photo again Steve.

Thought you'd like that one. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
msteeln

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2010-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 3:13 am

Dispite Ig's pro-Ron statements these last few years, we all know how it's always gone down between the two of them, and he's not one to keep putting Ron's name out there. They still have a future, Iggy gave a nod to Ron at the HoF ceremony, and now it's time to focus on the game at hand. The best way they can give Ron a continuous salute is to keep putting on kick-ass shows and producing great new material.
At this point it's left to Scott to do anything crediting his brother, and so far there has been very little from him.
The show must go on with what they got, and maybe that's the way they want it for now.
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 4:16 am

Mstenln wrote,

" At this point it's left to Scott to do anything crediting his brother, and so far there has been very little from him."

Perhaps you are not aware of the tribute Jam for Ron that was held in LA in January of this year. It was coordinated by Scott's daughter Leanna, for her uncle. There is thread about the jam right in this section of the forum, Not sure if it is on page 2 or 3 but you may want to take a look.

Not everybody shouts their grief from rooftops. Having just had a conversation with Scott last week in London, I can assure you that his brother is on his mind.
Back to top Go down
Radiobirdman73

Radiobirdman73

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 4:24 am

Natalie wrote:
Mstenln wrote,

" At this point it's left to Scott to do anything crediting his brother, and so far there has been very little from him."

Perhaps you are not aware of the tribute Jam for Ron that was held in LA in January of this year. It was coordinated by Scott's daughter Leanna, for her uncle. There is thread about the jam right in this section of the forum, Not sure if it is on page 2 or 3 but you may want to take a look.

Not everybody shouts their grief from rooftops. Having just had a conversation with Scott last week in London, I can assure you that his brother is on his mind.

Nat - what are you reflections from the London gigs? I'm sure we all would be interested in hearing your insights into seeing James after all these years as well as this incarnation of the band. 'Enquiring minds want to know'.
Back to top Go down
msteeln

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2010-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 4:48 am

Natalie wrote:
Perhaps you are not aware of the tribute Jam for Ron that was held in LA in January of this year. It was coordinated by Scott's daughter Leanna, for her uncle. There is thread about the jam right in this section of the forum, Not sure if it is on page 2 or 3 but you may want to take a look. Not everybody shouts their grief from rooftops. Having just had a conversation with Scott last week in London, I can assure you that his brother is on his mind.
I'm sure of that to say the least, and Scott has always been the least verbal of all the band, whom are typically non-verbal. But dispite the jam which was indeed very cool and would have been expected, it's pretty much in Scott's court as to any further tributes instead of the others. That said, I doubt he want's to be constantly reminded of his loss, which he probably has been from well-wishers plus not seeing Ron next to the drum kit, and would like to work past the grief that came come in stages in his own way, and may in time even have further things happening to honor his brother. Moving forward and working up new material is a good way to keep the demons away and focused on life's positives.
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 10, 2010 5:13 am

Natalie wrote:
Mstenln wrote,

That all makes sense. I didn't hear anyone back in the original reunion going on about Dave, though he was an original Stooge. Sometimes it's less painful to NOT look back all the time.

I don't know Scott personally (DAMN!), but I'm sure there isn't a show that goes by without him thinking about his big brother. Let's leave well enough alone, and enjoy the fact that we still have Stooges at all. Smile
Back to top Go down
Triskell

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2010-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 2:33 am

Once you're sixty, this is something you will have to cope with. And it's not easy. They've certainly paid tribute to Ron, I'm not going to order them to mention him in every gig.

They seem to be doing relatively well, and I'm happy about that; it could have been different:
Maureen Tucker pretty much stopped playing once her mother died - she'd lost her guitarist, Sterling Morrison, shortly before. It's not easy to deal with this stuff; one thing is coping with grief, but at the same time, she needed a new lead guitarist and a new babysitter. She hasn't given at all many interviews since then, so I don't know her exact reasons, but I can have a guess!
Back to top Go down
Perdu

Perdu

Number of posts : 313
Registration date : 2009-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 2:48 am

Triskell speaks truth. When I was 39 a spate of my contemporary friends died from AIDS, cancers and other medical mishaps all at once it seemed. The best advice I heard during this first round of sad demises came from a music store clerk half my age who proffered: "You'd better get used to this. The older you get, the more it's going to be happening." No
Back to top Go down
thehumanvirus

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2009-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 5:55 pm

true let the music do the talking
Back to top Go down
Aku

Number of posts : 235
Registration date : 2009-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 11, 2010 11:07 pm

Triskell wrote:

Maureen Tucker pretty much stopped playing once her mother died - she'd lost her guitarist, Sterling Morrison, shortly before. It's not easy to deal with this stuff; one thing is coping with grief, but at the same time, she needed a new lead guitarist and a new babysitter. She hasn't given at all many interviews since then, so I don't know her exact reasons, but I can have a guess!

I was actually thinkin about this the other day, what on earth happend to Mo ?

I enjoyd one of her solo albums a lot and after the VU reunions shows years ago, I expected to hear more from her. I thought she would finally get the recognition as one of the coolest percussionist/drummers in rock n roll, but haven't heard any news since then...
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 12, 2010 5:35 pm

thehumanvirus wrote:
true let the music do the talking

You tell 'em, Joe. Wink
Back to top Go down
sway

sway

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2009-08-06

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 17, 2010 9:30 am

Them playing "I Wanna be yr Dog" is mention enough.

They have all mentioned Ronnie in various ways since his death, it would be a bit silly and redundant to do it every time they play a show. I'm w/ Aku, it about fun...not a funeral service.

How many times did the Stooges (when Ronnie was still around) mention Dave? Every gig? I highly doubt it.

Something tells me Ron is not offended.
Back to top Go down
littledolll

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2021-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 17, 2021 6:49 am

Nadja wrote:
kaiserken wrote:
homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
Quote :
He talked about how he would play Ron's songs with respect and try to emulate Ron's style, as opposed to making those 1st two LPs his own. I dont think there's any higher form of respect from one musician to another, actually.

Thats right, i remember thinking at the time how dead-on those versions were, and how it sounded distinctly un-James and decidedly Ronish; if that makes sense

and in that case, i think its the best way to remember Ron - keeps the train going with a wink a nudge

HJW
I thought the exact same thing listening to theses guys playing the Ron era material. James isn't injecting any of his signature style into these tunes.
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Havent been to any shows but from what I've heard on clips I agree.

I wonder what they will do with Ron's unfinished material.

Going back to Mike Watt & Dave. I think it's great the way Mike always has tried to talk up Dave's contribution to the band.

I love how Mike has always lifted up Dave, too. He knows what it's like to lose a band member at a young age.

Anyhow, I don't think that everyone expects every gig to be a funeral service. But Iggy has a documented history of minimizing the contributions that others have made to the group. He has claimed to write songs that Ron wrote. He has trashed Dave's musicianship, said that he would have fired him all over again, and said that he didn't care about his death because he wasn't in the group at the time and wasn't his friend anymore. I get why people are upset.
Back to top Go down
Trobbo

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2020-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2022 5:07 pm

What do we actually know about Dave Alexander? not that much. There´s a been quote here and there, but I haven´t read any lenghty biography on Dave. Maybe it´s due to his limited involvement with the Stooges (record-wise), but still would be nice to know more...
Back to top Go down
littledolll

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2021-11-23

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2022 4:53 am

Trobbo wrote:
What do we actually know about Dave Alexander? not that much. There´s a been quote here and there, but I haven´t read any lenghty biography on Dave. Maybe it´s due to his limited involvement with the Stooges (record-wise), but still would be nice to know more...

I wouldn't characterize Dave's involvement with the Stooges as limited. He's on more Stooges records than James Williamson. He is also credited as the primary composer of "Dirt," "Fun House," and "We Will Fall." I have also seen him credited for "1970" and "Little Doll," too.

The most detailed pieces about Dave are from the Please Kill Me website (which I think you've seen) and Paul Trynka's website

The one big thing that they get wrong is the account of Goose Lake, though. The story that Iggy told for years was that Dave "didn't play a note." That is not true. The soundboard recording of the gig was released a couple of years ago and Dave actually played throughout the show. I also think that the Ashetons saw him after the Raw Power era, too. There are pictures of them together that fans have said are from Christmas 1974.

He's also mentioned several times in Please Kill Me, and several other Iggy/Stooges biographies (Trynka, Joe Ambrose, Michael Begnal - and the Begnal just came out). He should be a cult figure like Jaco Pastorius or Cliff Burton. I think the real issue is that he sadly passed before the Stooges were "rediscovered" by subsequent generations of punks, and Iggy (and even the Ashetons) have not been good stewards of his legacy (Iggy doubled down on the decision to fire Dave even after it was revealed that he played at Goose Lake. I think the real problem was that Dave was not as easy to manipulate as the Ashetons).

I wish someone had interviewed his mother. She didn't die until 2002, right before the Stooges reunited.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not one mention of Ron   Not one mention of Ron - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Not one mention of Ron
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2