Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Iggy-21st+22nd March '77 CD issues&variations

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Stranger09

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2009-02-19

Iggy-21st+22nd March '77 CD issues&variations Empty
PostSubject: Iggy-21st+22nd March '77 CD issues&variations   Iggy-21st+22nd March '77 CD issues&variations Icon_minitimeMon Jun 07, 2010 1:38 am

This gig must be the most released Iggy gig, surely? Smile

Bootleg - Stowaway DOA, Suck On This, recordings of the full FM gig (took years to find, but find it I did, eventually), The Stooge Turns Pop counterfeit radio LP, then the Sister Midnight CD's, the Wild Animal CD, then more CD versions over the last few years.

I recently got the Iggy Pop Live edition of this album on Laserlight.

Nice cover, but it turned out the running order was changed!

However I was thinking of getting rid of it, and I gave it another listen, then I thought hang on...it had the intro bit when Iggy says

"and now we're gonna perform..."
audience member
"What In the World!"
[audible laugh from Bowie]

before I Wanna Be Your Dog.

I'd only heard this on the Stowaway DOA and Stooges Turns Pop radio broadcast LPs before...it was absent on both versions of the earlier issues of this gig.

On further inspection and A-B comparisons with the Sister Mignight CD I have found -

1. yet another minor improvement in the mastering. Subsequent issues had upped the ante with the mix, now even more can be heard. Including some distortion which is now more apparent, but on the positive side, the brighter and more detailed sound does reveal more of the playing and backing vocals.

2. minor extra dialogue from Iggy, or exclamations from Tony (yeah I know, some may think big deal...however I did eventually get the original unedited broadcast of the gig. It does have a lot more pregnant pauses than the bootleg and authorised version of the gig - long gaps between the tracks, with the occasional dialogue from Iggy, nothing like the rants and strange gibberish that littered his concerts from 1979-81 though! happy.gif).

3. Curiously and interestingly, while all the other tracks in my A-B comparison so far seem the same, Gimme Danger, on the later release, is the better version (two nights were recorded, the 21st and 22nd March at the Agora Ballroom, Cleveland)...at the start of the instrumental break, there is a more pronounced stop, and slightly higher start to the keyboard solo. It's a minor difference but this latter version does sound better, and the keyboard solo sounds more emotional and yearning due to the way Bowie plays it on this recording.

I'm now keen to get one of the new CD's of this with the correct running order...preferably the version with Iggy and Bowie boarding the train. However I've looked online and it's pretty hard to find now...the most common ones seem to have a pic of Bowie and Iggy from around '73, or a pic of Iggy singing. There's another with a pic of Iggy in a helmet, but I'm not sure that's a recent edition.

Some point I will also do an A-B comparison with the FM radio gig...I have a sneaking suspicion the only differences I will find will be -
the extra dialogue / 'pregnant pauses' I alluded to above
and the presence of the encore China Girl....
Back to top Go down

Iggy-21st+22nd March '77 CD issues&variations
Page 1 of 1