Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Raw Power new double vinyl 2010

Go down 
+11
ad_hoc
ElRoi
stooge
mr.datsun
dfmb
neven
Loose1969
unheard78
jpstooges
c-deep
Luzern
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
c-deep

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2009-09-25

Raw Power new double vinyl 2010 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Raw Power new double vinyl 2010   Raw Power new double vinyl 2010 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 12:40 am

G, F#, E wrote:
ad_hoc wrote:

is this really what the world needs, yet another version of raw power.
this whole thing's strating to feel like some sort of pharce. maybe they should consider changing their name to the $tooges

Good posting
Why? I haven't heard the Sundazed pressing but this new remaster sounds good. The Iggy vinyl just confirms that much of the clipping was already done at the mixing stage, so I would have preferred coupling the new remaster with Georgia Peaches but I can see why they went with this coupling. I hope the Kill City remix will be out on vinyl.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power new double vinyl 2010   Raw Power new double vinyl 2010 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 12:56 am

c-deep wrote:
G, F#, E wrote:
ad_hoc wrote:

is this really what the world needs, yet another version of raw power.
this whole thing's strating to feel like some sort of pharce. maybe they should consider changing their name to the $tooges

Good posting
Why?

Because it was funny.
Back to top Go down
mr.datsun

mr.datsun

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2010-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power new double vinyl 2010   Raw Power new double vinyl 2010 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 1:26 am

c-deep wrote:
The Iggy vinyl just confirms that much of the clipping was already done at the mixing stage, so I would have preferred coupling the new remaster with Georgia Peaches but I can see why they went with this coupling. I hope the Kill City remix will be out on vinyl.

From what I understand the top wave graph is the Iggy remix CD whilst the lower wave graph is the same Iggy remix on vinyl. Doesn't this say that the clipping was performed at mastering stage on the CD?
Back to top Go down
mr.datsun

mr.datsun

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power new double vinyl 2010   Raw Power new double vinyl 2010 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 1:35 am

ElRoi wrote:
Well, I assume that the Sundazed release came from the original mastering of the Bowie-mix and the 2 LP release is from the newly remastered Bowie mix along with the Iggy remastering, correct?
So that would be three different mastering versions. I may be wrong, but that is what I have gathered from all this.

Ok, I see what you are getting at but 2 are different masters of the same mix whilst the other is a different mix.

A digital remaster of the Bowie mix done for Cd and then used for an LP is not going to wet my appetite. I'd rather have the analogue mastered Sundazed or stick to an original. From what I have heard (as vinyl rips) of the 1st and 2nd LPs, the Sundazed RP will be good.

When I heard the 80s Canadian pressing I wondered whether the CD remaster was any real advance on the analogue master.
Back to top Go down
c-deep

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2009-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power new double vinyl 2010   Raw Power new double vinyl 2010 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 2:04 am

mr.datsun wrote:
c-deep wrote:
The Iggy vinyl just confirms that much of the clipping was already done at the mixing stage, so I would have preferred coupling the new remaster with Georgia Peaches but I can see why they went with this coupling. I hope the Kill City remix will be out on vinyl.

From what I understand the top wave graph is the Iggy remix CD whilst the lower wave graph is the same Iggy remix on vinyl. Doesn't this say that the clipping was performed at mastering stage on the CD?
Sure, brickwall compression was applied at the mastering stage. Still, lower mastering levels don't save this mix, which is still oversaturated in digital distortion (the guitar sounds for example).
I can't make up my mind if I like the Canadian pressing or the recent remaster better. The recent remaster has more detail and punch but sounds a bit less organic. I like both.

Last edited by c-deep on Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mr.datsun

mr.datsun

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power new double vinyl 2010   Raw Power new double vinyl 2010 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 2:05 am

jpstooges wrote:

Welcome dfmb! You're probably right, but even made from the same source, a vinyl rip sounds different from the CD version (I didn't say it sounds better). If you want to check it out, here's a sample from S&D (30 sec of 1997 CD, then 30 sec of 2010 LP rip)

I just listened to this and thanks for posting it jpstooges. Sure the LP is less painful than the CD and has a little more space in the sound but overall the music has still been compressed into a sonic sludge. Muddier than an old Hawkwind LP. The true horror of Iggy's mix is even clearer on the LP and so it can't all be blamed on the CD.

Question. Would the record company spend the money on making a vinyl remaster of Iggy's mix or simply adjust the CD master to fit the dynamics of an LP?

c-deep wrote:
I can't make up my mind if I like the Canadian pressing or the recent remaster better. The recent remaster has more detail and punch but sounds a bit less organic. I like both.

Me neither. The CD remaster is good and I'm still getting used to the Canadian pressing rip. Time will tell.
Back to top Go down
ad_hoc

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power new double vinyl 2010   Raw Power new double vinyl 2010 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 11:04 pm

no, i don't think that "they are getting rich off of this", that's what insurance commercials
were made for. just think this issues/reissues/re-whatever the fuck are getting
a bit out of hand. don't know 'bout them getting richer or not, but i'm quite certain that
more than a few people round here are getting poorer by this is all.

(well, at least G, F#, E got the joke)
Back to top Go down
mr.datsun

mr.datsun

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power new double vinyl 2010   Raw Power new double vinyl 2010 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 11:48 pm

ad_hoc wrote:
no, i don't think that "they are getting rich off of this", that's what insurance commercials
were made for. just think this issues/reissues/re-whatever the fuck are getting
a bit out of hand. don't know 'bout them getting richer or not, but i'm quite certain that
more than a few people round here are getting poorer by this is all.

(well, at least G, F#, E got the joke)

For what it's worth I found it funny too! And I agree with your sentiment. I don't begrudge the Stooges getting some money and recognition but it turned into a media industry circus long ago. But nothing's ever going to stop that.

I've said it once and I'll say it again – IMO, no one really needs more than the first 3 LPs without extras unless you're a historian. Also many of us are beginning to realise that sound-wise, an original pressing or a high quality rip from vinyl is more satisfying than all the digital remasters under the sun. And the rips are free so you don't need to fork out anything unless from a moral need to send some money the band's way (i do by buying the products). But that knowledge won't stop the collector spirit and it's this spirit that labels can so easily take advantage of with endless 'add-ons' and outtakes.

Last edited by mr.datsun on Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ad_hoc

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2009-11-20

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power new double vinyl 2010   Raw Power new double vinyl 2010 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 2:21 pm

Last edited by ad_hoc on Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : too cheesy)
Back to top Go down
jpod

jpod

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2007-09-11

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power new double vinyl 2010   Raw Power new double vinyl 2010 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 12:29 am

Oh well.
I just figured 'what the hell' and bought this double album.
I havent actually spent much time comparing each version but as for 'loudness' they seem very similar.
Iggy's mix is not as hot as it sounds on cd which to me makes it closer to bowie's mix now.
S&D still has the fuzzy guitar distortion.
I think I still prefer Iggy's cd. It aint perfect and i usually have to turn it down halfway thru a lead break cuz my ears feel like they're gonna melt - but there ya have it.
Btw the booklet in this package is practically a scaled-up 12in booklet of the Legacy cd booklet. Nothing new particularly, if anyone was wondering.

Back to top Go down
andy75

andy75

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-12-07

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power new double vinyl 2010   Raw Power new double vinyl 2010 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 09, 2011 10:36 pm

I've heard the 2 vinyl & I agree with you who have said it's as bad sounding as the 1997 cd! A tad lower in volume that's all.
Back to top Go down
freemind

freemind

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2009-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power new double vinyl 2010   Raw Power new double vinyl 2010 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 15, 2011 11:25 am

I bought that edition and i'm quite pleased but anyway for my Ipod I did my own Raw Power

1 - S&D (Bowie mix)
2 - Gimme Danger (Iggy's mix) from Raw Power Deluxe Edition
3 - Your Pretty Face (Iggy's mix) from Raw Power Deluxe Edition
4 - Penetration (Bowie's mix)
5 - Raw Power (Iggy's mix) from the A Million In Prizes The Iggy Pop Anthology
6 - I need Somebody (Bowie's mix)
7 - Shake Appeal (Iggy's mix)
8 - Death Trip (Iggy's mix)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Raw Power new double vinyl 2010   Raw Power new double vinyl 2010 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Raw Power new double vinyl 2010
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2