Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

why the first album doesn't always get it's due

Go down 
+4
Borntohula
osterbergermeister
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
jimmyo
8 posters
AuthorMessage
jimmyo
Half Alive Incubator Baby
jimmyo

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2007-05-08

why the first album doesn't always get it's due Empty
PostSubject: why the first album doesn't always get it's due   why the first album doesn't always get it's due Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2007 1:43 am

both of the first 2 albums have 6 bona fide classics.

the stooges (no fun, 1969, little doll, not right, dog, real cool)

funhouse (loose, tv eye, dirt, 1970, funhouse, street)

the thing is, Funhouse only has "LA Blues" as what some might consider "filler"...

the first album has "ann", which some consider super lame and "we will fall" which even the most hard core stooges fan would have to admit is a preposterous attempt at "album filler"...

both albums are, obviously, totally awesome...

but, i just think when people start splitting hairs in a "forced choice" situation--most people would pick funhouse over the first album because "top to bottom" funhouse is stronger (i.e., no "ann" or "we will fall")....
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: why the first album doesn't always get it's due   why the first album doesn't always get it's due Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2007 1:46 am

but whaht about all 3 of them, people pick first album last. i pick t2nd maybe even first sometimes.ann isnt that bad. we will fall isnt very good. but not the worst thing i've ever heard. its too long, i will say that.dave the one who thought of the aidea about the rza jara thing. he heard in accient trumba books or something
Back to top Go down
jimmyo
jimmyo

PostSubject: Re: why the first album doesn't always get it's due   why the first album doesn't always get it's due Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2007 7:17 am

JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES wrote:
but whaht about all 3 of them, people pick first album last. i pick t2nd maybe even first sometimes.ann isnt that bad. we will fall isnt very good. but not the worst thing i've ever heard. its too long, i will say that.dave the one who thought of the aidea about the rza jara thing. he heard in accient trumba books or something
ann isn't all that bad--but, in the context of the 2 songs on either side of it, in relative terms, it doesn't measure up...imo

i've also heard the story about the indian chant that forms the basis for we will fall--it's inclusion was definitely a 60's thing--some kind of drug-fueled thing that iggy considered to be practically an inside joke...

i think there is a very legitimite argument for the case that the first album is the best...

i'd say the best 6 songs on the first album are the better than the best 6 songs on the 2nd album...

as far as raw power goes, it's kind of unfair to judge it with the first 2--because williamson was on it...
Back to top Go down
osterbergermeister

osterbergermeister

Number of posts : 170
Registration date : 2007-03-08

PostSubject: Re: why the first album doesn't always get it's due   why the first album doesn't always get it's due Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 4:23 am

Have you heard Ann on that extra outtake CD from the 2-CD Rhino re-release of the first album? It fucking rocks!! It's go 3+ extra minutes of Ron guitar solo on it!
Steve
Back to top Go down
jimmyo
jimmyo

PostSubject: Re: why the first album doesn't always get it's due   why the first album doesn't always get it's due Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 6:46 am

osterbergermeister wrote:
Have you heard Ann on that extra outtake CD from the 2-CD Rhino re-release of the first album? It fucking rocks!! It's go 3+ extra minutes of Ron guitar solo on it!
Steve
thanx for the heads up. i'll hafta check it out...
Back to top Go down
Borntohula

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2007-02-28

PostSubject: Re: why the first album doesn't always get it's due   why the first album doesn't always get it's due Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 4:25 pm

I really like the first one because of the mythics on it. For example We will fall, monk chanting and talks about hotel rooms and being alone.
It's straight up a soundtrack for boredom.

I really hope the forth album will have some theme, other than weirdness money theme.
Mindroom would be a cool song to lay what the other songs would be about. Confusion and uselessness.
Back to top Go down
jimmyo
jimmyo

PostSubject: Re: why the first album doesn't always get it's due   why the first album doesn't always get it's due Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 4:42 pm

Borntohula wrote:

I really hope the forth album will have some theme, other than weirdness money theme.

hopefully there will BE a 4th album...

(actually a 5th...but, the 4th with the original lineup....)
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: why the first album doesn't always get it's due   why the first album doesn't always get it's due Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 5:18 pm

jimmyo wrote:
Borntohula wrote:

hopefully there will BE a 4th album...

(actually a 5th...but, the 4th with the original lineup....)

I'll second that.

They've definitely still got it in 'em.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: why the first album doesn't always get it's due   why the first album doesn't always get it's due Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 5:19 pm

osterbergermeister wrote:
Steve

I have it, but haven't played it yet. Embarassed

I'd better have at it tonight!
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: why the first album doesn't always get it's due   why the first album doesn't always get it's due Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 2:38 am

I agree, 1 final album, that will just blow the shit outta all of us... that would be AWESOME
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

PostSubject: Re: why the first album doesn't always get it's due   why the first album doesn't always get it's due Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 2:45 am

I'm greedy. I want two more.
Back to top Go down
smut

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2007-03-08

PostSubject: Re: why the first album doesn't always get it's due   why the first album doesn't always get it's due Icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2007 3:56 pm

i loved the debut album, i think it's my favourite. i've always said, that to me, it feels like the calm before the storm. the bit where everything feels electric but there's no erruption yet.
Back to top Go down
Borntohula

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2007-02-28

PostSubject: Re: why the first album doesn't always get it's due   why the first album doesn't always get it's due Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2007 11:24 am

smut: It's definitelly the best album to play when being alone at night with nothing to do Smile
Back to top Go down
modernlover

modernlover

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2007-11-01

PostSubject: Re: why the first album doesn't always get it's due   why the first album doesn't always get it's due Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 11:49 pm

I know critics prefer Funhouse, yada yada, but I prefer The Stooges. Great songs, punchy sound that makes me want, no NEED, to lurch around the room.

Funhouse might be a better representation of what they sounded like, but I reckon Rons riffs cleaner, yet dirtier! on the first.

The reissue sounds fantastic too - We Will Fall sounds great, I always used to skip it, but not now. Cales orig versions are damn weird though...

The vinyl version comes highly recommended too - fab sound.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: why the first album doesn't always get it's due   why the first album doesn't always get it's due Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 11:57 pm

Yeh i think The Stooges is almost equal, nowadays Raw Power is soundin the least 'great' still fantastic tho, but i think my personal favourite, and you can put it up to it being released in my lifetime but i love The Weirdness, the 12 track CD release is brilliant, but to experience and appreciate everything about this masterstroke you have to get the other 4 songs.

The full 16 track Vinyl edition, i found them sharesite online, is phenomenal, i really wish i had an LP player just for it, its fantastic, somethin different, guitar wise, lyricwise, drum wise, and the production, i thing is fantastic, and it was by the ''3 blid mice'' i.e. the stooges, not ur man who did nirvana, so u cant blame him, lol.

i think its fantastic tho, but yeh the stooges is just as good but i guess its just mood, all 4 albums are fantastic
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: why the first album doesn't always get it's due   why the first album doesn't always get it's due Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

why the first album doesn't always get it's due
Page 1 of 1