Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Iggy Chicago Waves Club and Detroit Bookies 1980 CD release?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Stranger09

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2009-02-19

Iggy Chicago Waves Club and Detroit Bookies 1980 CD release? Empty
PostSubject: Iggy Chicago Waves Club and Detroit Bookies 1980 CD release?   Iggy Chicago Waves Club and Detroit Bookies 1980 CD release? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 7:58 am

Seriously, why not?

We've had several concerts from 1977 released now (3 on the 1977 CD set, 2 more on the Where The Faces Shine Vol 1 set, and now releases from both nights of the 21/22nd March 77 gig - ie as I noted here - https://stoogesforum.forumotion.com/gimme-danger-f4/iggy-21st22nd-march-77-cd-issuesvariations-t2533.htm - the different version of Gimme Danger has turned up on CD at the very least), one from 1978, two from 1979, two from 1981, two from 1982, one from 1983, three from 1986, two from 1988 etc etc.

Only one from 1980 has been released, and it was an audience recording on the Faces Shine box vol 1, and of course there have been a lot of Stooges gigs released.

The fact that both the Chicago Waves Club (1.10.80) and Detroit Bookies Club (26.9.80) gigs are both high quality recordings of powerful gigs makes a good case for such a release, and as we know and the above list shows, it would not be the first time two gigs which were recorded close together have been released (my posts on the San Francisco and LA 79 gigs made me think about this).

Chicago Waves has also been torrented in higher quality in recent times, having long been a very hissy recording when it formerly circulated as a 'tape trade', or a rather 'processed' sounding one on the vinyl bootleg version.

I would happily buy these on CD if they were released in decent sound, with any of the touches of some of the authorised releases - interviews or at least quality photographs from contemporaneous gigs.

It should be noted that while Detroit did get a high quality bootleg CD release, the first minute or so was mono, whereas an FM tape circulates in almost as good quality which is stereo (doing my own CD-R splicing the two together has been on my list of things to do forever! Smile).

I honestly think with even a fraction of the care and attention to the sound and presentation given on the California Hitch-Hike CD, and the presentation of the Where The Faces Shine boxes (full marks for presentation on box 1, not so much for the sound on that box, and pretty much full marks for sound and presentationon box 2), this would make a fantastic release, maybe as a 2 CD set?

Another reason to give this is a go is this : the corresponding album for these gigs, Soldier, has a curious reputation. Opinions vary on Soldier from good (it rocks / good songs), to "what might have been / what happened to the guitar parts?" opinions over the mix and presentation, to downright awful.

As has been suggested putting Solder "right" may never happen (I actually find the album fine as it is - not a frequent listen, but an interesting one nonetheless), but this live release would do the material of that year proud, and also stand proud among Iggy live recordings too imo.

Also, there isn't a lot of work to do re researching the audio : the torrented version of Chicago Waves may be the best available, and with a qualified engineer doing some work on the dynamics of that, and similarly a good splice done on the two versions of Detroit that circulate, hey presto! - all that's needed is some quality artwork and maybe some sleevenotes.

So, why not?

Smile

Last edited by Stranger09 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
comaman

comaman

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Chicago Waves Club and Detroit Bookies 1980 CD release?   Iggy Chicago Waves Club and Detroit Bookies 1980 CD release? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 2:02 pm

Agree fully, Stranger! Those two recordings are both classics!
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Chicago Waves Club and Detroit Bookies 1980 CD release?   Iggy Chicago Waves Club and Detroit Bookies 1980 CD release? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 3:24 pm

Glad someone agrees!

I was thinking maybe throw in the Palais d'Hiver May 1980 FM show - it's short, if I recall correctly - on too. If it doesn't fit (I think it was only in mono too) maybe just include the tracks that aren't duplicated from the above shows...
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Chicago Waves Club and Detroit Bookies 1980 CD release?   Iggy Chicago Waves Club and Detroit Bookies 1980 CD release? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 5:36 pm

I wanted to add, other good reasons for releasing these shows...

* In the Detroit show Iggy as ranting performer is on top form again, almost matching the crazed intensity on the 30th November 79 LA recording...but more playfully, he continually uses and apologises (to his mum, too! Smile) for saying "that word again", on the radio!

* The Detroit show includes Puppet World - a brilliant Soldier outtake with Iggy and Ivan trading childish puppet vocals with each other.

* Chicago includes Brakes On - another outtake from the same period, and one that rocks hard...

* Both shows include I'm Alright - in snappy punky form at Detroit ("let's do I'm alright and get the fuck out of this joint"! Smile), and in more rock and rolling form at Chicago, both are highlights of these shows and of Iggy's entire live 'ouevre'.

* Finally the Detroit show includes what is arguably the best version of "One For My Baby"...there have been other shows such claims have been made for, but certainly no shows top it for audio quality, and the dreamy quality of the playing...Iggy takes a good four-five minutes to calm people down and set the scene!

With regard to the sound, despite my praising of the sound quality of the Detroit show on further examination I have found that the bootleg CD (called Lust for Life) sounds great but a little trebly / 'scratchy' in sound. It could do with some 'dynamics' too like the Chicago recording, some more 'depth'. Before anyone says yeah, right, or you're being too fussy, despite the numerous mistakes / misjudgements over sound on Easy Action releases, to their considerable credit on the California Hitch Hike CD, the San Francisco 27.11.79 show did gain some depth to the sound compared the thin sounding bootlegs.

I have also noted there were FM broadcasts from Palasport Pesare on the 18th May 1980, and Lyon, Palais d' Hiver on the 23rd May 1980. Possibly getting the mastertapes or rights to these shows may prove hard, but I truly hope Easy Action consider compiling these some point.

Last edited by Stranger09 on Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
comaman

comaman

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2008-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Chicago Waves Club and Detroit Bookies 1980 CD release?   Iggy Chicago Waves Club and Detroit Bookies 1980 CD release? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 12:01 am

Carlton/Easy Action, are you taking notes??? :-)
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Chicago Waves Club and Detroit Bookies 1980 CD release?   Iggy Chicago Waves Club and Detroit Bookies 1980 CD release? Icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 12:36 am

all we can do is hope, I know Carlton has posted here...

To be fair with all record companies, these sorts of things and down to schedules etc if and when they do happen, and I got the impression some work has been attempted towards an improved Metallic KO (well, apart from difficulties over who has the rights etc) judging by a recent post.

Personally, having looked over what was recorded in 1980, and the two further FM shows that I noticed when looking at this in more detail, a 3CD package could well be appropriate, but such decisions aren't made by fans like me! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Iggy Chicago Waves Club and Detroit Bookies 1980 CD release?   Iggy Chicago Waves Club and Detroit Bookies 1980 CD release? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iggy Chicago Waves Club and Detroit Bookies 1980 CD release?
Page 1 of 1