Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Stooges in 1974 @ My Father's Place, Rosalyn, NY

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
specotron

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2009-06-23

The Stooges in 1974 @ My Father's Place, Rosalyn, NY Empty
PostSubject: The Stooges in 1974 @ My Father's Place, Rosalyn, NY   The Stooges in 1974 @ My Father's Place, Rosalyn, NY Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 9:23 pm

I saw The Stooges 4 times back in the day (but have not seen them since they reformed as they never come anywhere near where I currently live). My first time was The Electric Circus in 1970 (not 1971), Max's Kansas City (1973), The Academy of Music (1973), and finally, one venue I have never seen mentioned: My Father's Place in Rosalyn, Long Island, New York in 1974.

If memory serves (and it does), this concert had no promotion and was announced on local radio only a day or two before the actual show. It was a typical stage with tables venue and could hold 200+ people. However, without the advance notice, there were only 2 tables occupied; my group of friends at one and another group of folks at another... perhaps a dozen people in the audience overall.

Iggy was pretty irate about the attendence and spent most of the show insulting Long Island (which is fine... it had it coming). He walked out on to the tables quite often, missed his step at one point, fell, and was pretty stationary back on stage from that point on. Turned out, he injured himself (at least that was the buzz at the time), but stayed on the stage, singing, until the ambulance came. The show ended at that point, with Ron and James leaning their guitars against the amplifiers, turning them up, and walking off.

Has anyone heard of this show? Is there any reference to it anywhere? Is there a 'gigography' in existence? Natalie? Anyone?
Back to top Go down
iggy-fan
I Got A Right
iggy-fan

Number of posts : 398
Registration date : 2007-03-02

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges in 1974 @ My Father's Place, Rosalyn, NY   The Stooges in 1974 @ My Father's Place, Rosalyn, NY Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 10:37 pm

If it´s correct i was 3 nights 30 january-1 february. You have a gigography here on the forum and mine http://goto.glocalnet.net/igged/Stooges%20Playlist.htm
Back to top Go down
http://goto.glocalnet.net/iggy-fanpage/
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges in 1974 @ My Father's Place, Rosalyn, NY   The Stooges in 1974 @ My Father's Place, Rosalyn, NY Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 1:53 am

Not only heard of it, I was there. One of the issues or problems was that at first it was on, then canceled, then it was back on.

There was basically no publicity for it at all and that accounted for the very poor attendance. I was with my friends who lived at the Queens/Long Island border and one of the guys called to tell us to come over since they were going to play.

I always thought the place was called Your Father's Mustache and I think that is how it's listed on the updated Gig list but I shall check. It was supposed to be a 3 nighter which turned into a solo gig.

Edit...just checked the gig list. It is listed as My Father's place and they did not play all those nights.
Back to top Go down
specotron

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges in 1974 @ My Father's Place, Rosalyn, NY   The Stooges in 1974 @ My Father's Place, Rosalyn, NY Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 2:29 am

Yes, I thought it was only one night as well. Seeing the three concerts listed surprised me because if there were 3 shows, I would have attended all of them, living nearby at that time.

So, you must have been at the other table. Nice to "meet" someone from that night... small world. My sister shot off a role of 400 ASA black and whites that night and got some over-the-top excellent pictures. I believe she still has them, but we had a major falling out a couple of years ago and I have no access to them now. Natalie, Iggy hurt himself, right? And he sang until the flashing ambulence lights glowed outside?
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges in 1974 @ My Father's Place, Rosalyn, NY   The Stooges in 1974 @ My Father's Place, Rosalyn, NY Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 9:41 am

Iggy hurt himself often and most of the times are a blur for me. The one time I remember was when he fell on the broken glass at Max's. There was so much blood and he insisted on going on with the show. I really don't remember about that specific night.

It's a shame you can not get hold of the photos. That gig was one of the last ones they ever played.

BTW, I attended all the gigs you mentioned, shame we did not meet early on. You could have joined the fan club. Laughing......../
Back to top Go down
specotron

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges in 1974 @ My Father's Place, Rosalyn, NY   The Stooges in 1974 @ My Father's Place, Rosalyn, NY Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 7:02 pm

Natalie, I envy you for seeing all those shows. It must have been great. I recall at the time being a Stooges (and Velvet Underground) fan in late 60s/early 70s Long Island was a lonely affair ("You should be listening to the Dead, man!").

The gigography is a valuable reference source, iggy-fan. Thank you. Never searched enough for one before and this really puts it together nicely. Kind of frustrating to see how many nearby Stooges shows flew off my radar back then.

Seeing the Stooges was the most coveted all all concerts. They warmed up for Blue Oyster Cult at the Acedemy and finished their set at 11:30 p.m. on New Year's Eve. I, along with half of the venue, left before the headliner came on as the climax of the show had already played and there was nothing left to do but go to 42nd Street to the see the big ball fall at midnight (with the the sound of new Stooges material playing over and over in our heads).

Chaz
Back to top Go down
Natalie
Dancing Stooge Queen
Natalie

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges in 1974 @ My Father's Place, Rosalyn, NY   The Stooges in 1974 @ My Father's Place, Rosalyn, NY Icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 7:20 pm

I have not checked Iggy-fan's gig list yet but there is a gig list that Per Nilson, Jim Ladhe and I worked on extensively, posted here in Scene of the crime. It is Stooge gigs only, no Iggy solo gigs.

Funny about that New Year's Eve gig......we did all leave after the Stooges were done and continued the celebration at Max's that nigjht. I felt bad because I knew some of BOC when they were Soft White Underbelly on Elektra records in the 60's.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges in 1974 @ My Father's Place, Rosalyn, NY   The Stooges in 1974 @ My Father's Place, Rosalyn, NY Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Stooges in 1974 @ My Father's Place, Rosalyn, NY
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: