Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What is your favorite Stooges album?

Go down 
+16
Doojiman121
TED
woody
stevo
PineappleExpress
weed_killer
Mr. FunBoy
studioguy
stooges
morepower
SimonJ
rabid_fish
heavy liquid
Nadja
951Sib
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

The Stooges (1969)
What is your favorite Stooges album? - Page 2 Vote_lcap20%What is your favorite Stooges album? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 20% [ 12 ]
Fun House (1970)
What is your favorite Stooges album? - Page 2 Vote_lcap58%What is your favorite Stooges album? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 58% [ 34 ]
Raw Power (1973)
What is your favorite Stooges album? - Page 2 Vote_lcap22%What is your favorite Stooges album? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 22% [ 13 ]
The Weirdness (2007)
What is your favorite Stooges album? - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%What is your favorite Stooges album? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 59

AuthorMessage
stevo

stevo

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-11-21

What is your favorite Stooges album? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite Stooges album?   What is your favorite Stooges album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 31, 2011 10:50 pm

All if I could, but I gave my vote to Fun House, as it's the first thing I bought, or heard by them, so it got my vote.
Back to top Go down
woody

woody

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2011-02-07

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite Stooges album?   What is your favorite Stooges album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 10, 2011 6:32 pm

I just turned off the lights and played the records back to back. It's definitely the debut album. Funhouse is more accomplished, fat and dark and heavy, but the debut album is so weird and far out and overall disturbing it has to be the better album for me - and the best Stooges album ever - short and kind of thin but even more frightening than Funhouse. It seems less muscular and more cerebral, but more deranged and more dangerous. The guitar is so dominant, it sounds like Ron's album. Definitely the first! But maybe age has something to do with it, 30 years ago I'd have chosen Funhouse. I think Raw Power is by far the third best studio album ever recorded.
Back to top Go down
TED
A funhouse boy will steal your heart away
TED

Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite Stooges album?   What is your favorite Stooges album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 11, 2011 12:19 pm

1st album for me quickly followed by 2nd album Love
Back to top Go down

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2009-11-09

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite Stooges album?   What is your favorite Stooges album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2011 2:15 am

I'd like the first one a lot more if there was way more live 69 material out there in circulation (who's with me?) There seems to be like no early stuff pre-1970's. I'd also like The Stooges a lot more if it didn't have that boner-kill track "We Will Fall" on it, they should have traded the song in with Asthma Attack and perhaps live versions of songs (No Fun, I Wanna Be Your Dog or 1969?) to fill in left over time not taken from We Will Fall. That track Asthma Attack is so much more wild and ahead if its time (pre-noise and totally protopunk with Iggy's vocals) while We Will Fall is just a Dolls-influenced Velvets imitation [with the help of John Cale], or some might say vice versa, that is only good to hear once in a while, plus because it's so fucking long and repetitive.
Though, that first album still has some great classic songs on there, some not even so popular, like "Not Right" and "Little Doll". Like Mike Watt has said about it, it's so amazing that they wrote Not Right in like one go. The chords in that song are fucking great. Amazingly written song.
But for me, at the moment, like most, I admire the second one best, followed by Raw Power coming in right after that as a close second - maybe even a tie - and the debut also a close one. Shit, they're ALL GOOD though!!! All equally great for me, to be honest. All classic rock 'n' roll records.
Back to top Go down
woody

woody

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite Stooges album?   What is your favorite Stooges album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2011 1:32 pm

1969 wrote:
it's so fucking long and repetitive.
...that's what makes it so great! Laughing
Sure there's a lot of John Cale on there, but that's never ever a bad thing, and the track seems to provide a stone foundation for all the snarling energy elsewhere, and weren't the live sets (in)famously short? - so I actually like the way 'We Will Fall' thins out the debut even more. The record messes with your head. Admittedly when I first heard the album I was disturbed by it, I preferred everything hard and fast in those days, and it seemed strange that it was included on side one, it seemed to interrupt the flow. But now it seems to me the equal of anything else on the record, and outstanding for atmosphere and malevolence, and stuck right in the middle there it's even more disturbing and in your face. I think John Cale should have a lot of credit for the spooky brooding quality of the first album. Didn't he wear a cape during the studio sessions? Outstanding. Actually, for me the greatest strength of 'We Will Fall' is that it's so fucking long and repetitive. I love it.

But I'm with you 1969, I'd love to hear some live early stuff too. I wonder if any tapes exist.
Back to top Go down
rabid_fish

rabid_fish

Number of posts : 166
Registration date : 2009-09-19

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite Stooges album?   What is your favorite Stooges album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 13, 2011 9:01 pm

woody wrote:
1969 wrote:
Sure there's a lot of John Cale on there, but that's never ever a bad thing, and the track seems to provide a stone foundation for all the snarling energy elsewhere, and weren't the live sets (in)famously short? - so I actually like the way 'We Will Fall' thins out the debut even more. The record messes with your head. Admittedly when I first heard the album I was disturbed by it, I preferred everything hard and fast in those days, and it seemed strange that it was included on side one, it seemed to interrupt the flow. But now it seems to me the equal of anything else on the record, and outstanding for atmosphere and malevolence, and stuck right in the middle there it's even more disturbing and in your face. I think John Cale should have a lot of credit for the spooky brooding quality of the first album. Didn't he wear a cape during the studio sessions? Outstanding. Actually, for me the greatest strength of 'We Will Fall' is that it's so fucking long and repetitive. I love it.

But I'm with you 1969, I'd love to hear some live early stuff too. I wonder if any tapes exist.

100% agree... "we will fall" is badass. It's like they said "fuck rock!!! let's do a 10 min. song with mantra singin' and just palm percution"... It's really hard to swallow, but when you find that long and repetitive = beauty, you'll enjoy it...

P.S.: And that's why i love Daft Punk too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite Stooges album?   What is your favorite Stooges album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 1:18 am

woody wrote:
1969 wrote:
Sure there's a lot of John Cale on there, but that's never ever a bad thing
Oh, I know it's not. I love Cale. The man's a genius. Some of his solo stuff is really great. It's just something about We Will Fall that has made me just want to 'press the skip button' once it comes on. Maybe I might grow to it, I usually can listen to lengthy songs (take jazz for instance) without a problem, but this is The Stooges/rock 'n' roll we're talking about. It's nice that they did it though, it's sorta like a experimental psych song which is great just to have in their canon of music, but it's not as good as some of the other stuff because, I guess, it's not what they're known for (maybe what the Psychedelic Stooges are known for).
The record is still classic though, nonetheless. Not many bands have broken as much ground as The Stooges did with their debut album, except maybe VU.

And I've been desperate for early live stuff for so long now, there has to be stuff out there! There better be...
Back to top Go down
woody

woody

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite Stooges album?   What is your favorite Stooges album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 15, 2011 12:55 pm

I hear you! I don't want to listen to it all the time either, nor actually to listen to any Stooges music too often, and never when I'm busy or concentrating on something else. Hey just for argument's sake I'm going to say that 'We Will Fall' makes more sense on vinyl than on CD. Like all old music.
I find it's too easy nowadays to have a CD lazily playing away like a half-ignored background soundtrack, intruding only now and again into whatever's going on. It's too easy, because with CDs (and all those new-fangled mp3 gizmos) the digital sound is always the same, never deteriorates, and it's cheaper (ie diminished) for all that - cheaper than it was before - when the music was all on vinyl, because vinyl records are never the same twice, deteriorating with every play, and I miss the days when we'd all sit down to 'listen to a record' - when putting a record on was like a event, a performance each time, and one time only in that precise condition, so we'd be sure to shut up and listen, make the most of it, read the sleeve notes, follow the lyrics, and all that - take some time and space to relax and concentrate and free up the imagination. With CDs it's too easy to get up and do something else whilst the digital sound is repeating again, exactly as before and always. Anyway I love having the change-over intermission after 15 or 20 minutes too. CDs can go on for soooo long! No wonder we have to hit the pause button so often.
Another thing I hate Laughing is when an album, complete and perfect in its original LP form, gets fucked up by having irrelevant and unwarranted 'bonus' tracks stuck on the end of the CD, so if you want to hear the album as intended with its beginning, middle and end, you have to be ready to jump up and turn the damn thing off after the 'final' track before the dumb stupid filler tracks begin and wreck the moment of quiet when the album is properly over so there's no chance to relax in the moment of stillness. I hate that.
So... vinyl rules! With vinyl I reckon we sit and listen much better, look at the artwork, pay attention. So I say avoid that 'skip' button! It's too easy to pick and choose with digital. Random shuffle is an abomination! Let the stylus stay in the groove on its journey to the end.
I agree that 'We Will Fall' is a challenge, but I'd hate to lift up the stylus after 'I Wanna Be Your Dog' and flip the disc over. What I'm trying to say is that I reckon albums should be taken as a whole, and not as a compilation of random tracks and 'We Will Fall' works best for me in the sequence of the LP. Anyway I agree totally - I don't want to listen to 'We Will Fall' everyday either, but when I do I want it in its proper place at the end of side one, with an intermision after, and really fucking loud and with no distractions and interruptions and preferably also a little bit out of my head.
Sorry for the off-topic rant. I feel better now. Sleep

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite Stooges album?   What is your favorite Stooges album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 9:35 am

woody wrote:
I hear you! I don't want to listen to it all the time either, nor actually to listen to any Stooges music too often, and never when I'm busy or concentrating on something else. Hey just for argument's sake I'm going to say that 'We Will Fall' makes more sense on vinyl than on CD. Like all old music.
I find it's too easy nowadays to have a CD lazily playing away like a half-ignored background soundtrack, intruding only now and again into whatever's going on. It's too easy, because with CDs (and all those new-fangled mp3 gizmos) the digital sound is always the same, never deteriorates, and it's cheaper (ie diminished) for all that - cheaper than it was before - when the music was all on vinyl, because vinyl records are never the same twice, deteriorating with every play, and I miss the days when we'd all sit down to 'listen to a record' - when putting a record on was like a event, a performance each time, and one time only in that precise condition, so we'd be sure to shut up and listen, make the most of it, read the sleeve notes, follow the lyrics, and all that - take some time and space to relax and concentrate and free up the imagination. With CDs it's too easy to get up and do something else whilst the digital sound is repeating again, exactly as before and always. Anyway I love having the change-over intermission after 15 or 20 minutes too. CDs can go on for soooo long! No wonder we have to hit the pause button so often.
Another thing I hate Laughing is when an album, complete and perfect in its original LP form, gets fucked up by having irrelevant and unwarranted 'bonus' tracks stuck on the end of the CD, so if you want to hear the album as intended with its beginning, middle and end, you have to be ready to jump up and turn the damn thing off after the 'final' track before the dumb stupid filler tracks begin and wreck the moment of quiet when the album is properly over so there's no chance to relax in the moment of stillness. I hate that.
So... vinyl rules! With vinyl I reckon we sit and listen much better, look at the artwork, pay attention. So I say avoid that 'skip' button! It's too easy to pick and choose with digital. Random shuffle is an abomination! Let the stylus stay in the groove on its journey to the end.
I agree that 'We Will Fall' is a challenge, but I'd hate to lift up the stylus after 'I Wanna Be Your Dog' and flip the disc over. What I'm trying to say is that I reckon albums should be taken as a whole, and not as a compilation of random tracks and 'We Will Fall' works best for me in the sequence of the LP. Anyway I agree totally - I don't want to listen to 'We Will Fall' everyday either, but when I do I want it in its proper place at the end of side one, with an intermision after, and really fucking loud and with no distractions and interruptions and preferably also a little bit out of my head.
Fully agree. Vinyl does rule. Both over CDs and in general. You appreciate music more with vinyl. The sleeve/cover art is better in vinyl format because you can hold it in your hands easier and look at it for hours because it's larger. And putting on the record for everyone to listen to is almost like an "event." Also, vinyl is the album in it's original form; how it was meant to be, how it was meant to be listened to, how it was meant to look. CD's reproduce the originality of it and sometimes represent the whole thing. And as for bonus tracks, I don't mind them at all. As long as they are added on a CD and labeled so (Remastered & Expanded + Bonus Tracks or something similar. The best way to do it is have all the bonus stuff on another disc) so you have the choice of hearing extra cuts or alternative versions of your favorite band. However, they should never reissue a vinyl with extra tracks. That just fucks with the record. CD's are there for an "extra" option, for me.
Back to top Go down
woody

woody

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite Stooges album?   What is your favorite Stooges album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 12:28 pm

!! I never thought to transfer the offending CD albums to blank discs, deleting the offensive bonus filler add-ons and then just play the copies. And there's a fringe benefit of digital in that every copy should be exactly like the original with no loss of quality. I'm not very savvy with the new-fangled technologies of digital. Embarassed
But... for a total Luddite, maybe perfect copying has its downside. I have a collection of bootlegs on cassette tape and some of the quality is really poor after the countlesss copying and re-copying over the years, but the sound seems to have a special vitality for all that - it's like you can hear the time gone by and the history of the recording passing from hand to hand and tape machine to tape machine through time and across continents right there in the fuzzy muffled sound. Perfect digital copies everytime is nice, but I like the evidence of aging too. But this is another discussion, like whether artworks should ever be restored, should the Sistine Chapel be seen as it was when it was first painted, or complete with the grime of the centuries. I guess I just prefer analog and a bit of healthy degradation.

On the proper question of 'what's your favourite Stooges album?' I'd love to say 'the next one.'
Back to top Go down
Doojiman121

Doojiman121

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2010-11-19

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite Stooges album?   What is your favorite Stooges album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 9:32 am

I first started to listen to the first album. No Fun and I Wanna Be Your Dog got stuck on my mind, and i just had to go through their other albums. Suddenly i turned up in this dark world of brilliant music - Raw Power.
And still i haven't heard anything like it.

I definetly vote for Raw Power!
Back to top Go down
Ilsa

Ilsa

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2011-02-20

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite Stooges album?   What is your favorite Stooges album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 20, 2011 3:32 am

I had to go with Fun House
Back to top Go down
951Sib

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2010-12-28

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite Stooges album?   What is your favorite Stooges album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2011 3:05 pm

BUMP

40 votes so far...

Edit: and now 44 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite Stooges album?   What is your favorite Stooges album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2011 11:35 pm

[quote="woody"] The guitar is so dominant, it sounds like Ron's album. . [/quote]

My idea of heaven. No other guitar to remotely compare.
Whew..hadn't raved about Ron's guitar for some time now ...
Back to top Go down
951Sib

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite Stooges album?   What is your favorite Stooges album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2011 10:25 pm

Definitely, Fun House is the winner.

Surprisingly, The Weirdness got 0 vote Laughing
Back to top Go down
951Sib

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite Stooges album?   What is your favorite Stooges album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 2:39 pm

Up!

Just to see if "everybody" has voted...
Back to top Go down
951Sib

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite Stooges album?   What is your favorite Stooges album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 1:04 pm

951Sib wrote:
I'm surprised nobody got the idea to submit this poll before!

50 voters would be great!

Almost 2 years ago... 51 voters so far! Great!

Newcomers, you're always welcome! Wink
Back to top Go down
woody

woody

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite Stooges album?   What is your favorite Stooges album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 5:33 pm

Looking good 951Sib! Wink
Back to top Go down
fabrice

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2011-08-02

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite Stooges album?   What is your favorite Stooges album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 9:43 pm

funny I never noticed this poll...I can't decide between FHouse and RPower !
what should we do , they're both so strong , mercyless and different , at the same time you feel only RP could possibly present a " sequel " to FH , like what's possibly after the wall of sound ?

I do and absolutely love the 1st one but it does not work as well for an album I think , highly personal of course !

so unless somebody bribes me , I can't vote , I might give the W my vote after all since I can't decide !
Back to top Go down
LittleDoll

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2013-03-12

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite Stooges album?   What is your favorite Stooges album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 17, 2013 8:56 pm

Hard to say. All of those albums presents diffrent style,they are like made by 3 diffrent bands. I like all of them but 1969 was the first Stooges album that I heard and it's my favourite.
Back to top Go down
Scorpio

Scorpio

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-08-05

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite Stooges album?   What is your favorite Stooges album? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 10:34 pm

Love the original three albums (sorry Weirdness Very Happy ), but it's gotta be Funhouse!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is your favorite Stooges album?   What is your favorite Stooges album? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2