Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Thoughts on Iggy Pop live in San Diego (11/16/1977)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
imastooge69

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2011-10-30

Thoughts on Iggy Pop live in San Diego (11/16/1977) Empty
PostSubject: Thoughts on Iggy Pop live in San Diego (11/16/1977)   Thoughts on Iggy Pop live in San Diego (11/16/1977) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 2:00 am

Like my overview of the L'Hippodrome show, this is the final show of the 'Lust for Life' tour (source: Dirt's Iggy Pop tradelist).
And to think the L'Hippodrome show was heavy! Compared to San Diego (this one), L'Hippodrome is butch. It ain't got shit on San Diego. I may be overexaggerating on this, but hey, I got my opinion, and so do the other people who have listened to both. This show has some songs rarely even heard or played.
The best examples are: 'Modern Guy' and 'Rock Action'.
'Modern Guy' is a keyboard-oriented song, reminescent of the 'Idiot' tour of early-1977.
'Rock Action' is a bass and drum (or just to say, a rhythm-oriented song) piece, and is the superior song of the two unreleased songs in my opinion, but that's up to you if you've heard it.
Another song, 'One Two Brown Eyes', a 'Them' cover, is pretty faithful to the source material, keeping the drum and bass beat that drives the song along. If observant enough, you can hear Iggy quote lyrics from 'Lust for Life' and 'Modern Guy', which is odd... but a great cover, it's unfortunate he dropped it after this short tour.
'Lust for Life' on the-- well, what do you think what tour?!--'Lust for Life' tour, wasn't all that great. It sounded like a train-wreck a lot of the times I heard some of the renditions. But this rendition was a breath of fresh air, the song is slowed down a bit, giving some composure, making for a great version.
'I Wanna Be Your Dog' was driven by the rhythm section for this rendition, like how the guitar and keyboards drove the 'Idiot' renditions most of the time. Good version though.
'I Got A Right' is decent, I like it, but there really isn't much to say, but I do like the ending...
'Fall in Love with Me' is great, the keyboards, the guitar, the rhythm section, and of course, Iggy, just make this song great live, great enough to be equal to the studio version.
'Raw Power', like 'I Got A Right', there isn't much to say, but it's a decent closer.
'Nightclubbing' is average, I've heard better versions, but this has one hidden gem. Iggy rambles on about a baboon.
'T.V. Eye' is relatively short, and it is disappointing.
'Gloria' is another 'Them' cover. I just have to say... it's alright.
And that is the overview of the concert. I am sorry that I did not go in order but here is the set list in order:
1. One Two Brown Eyes
2. I Wanna Be Your Dog
3. Modern Guy
4. Lust for Life
5. Rock Action
6. Fall in Love with With Me
7. Shake Appeal
8. Gloria
9. T.V. Eye
10. Nightclubbing
11. I Got A Right
12. Raw Power.
Thoughts on Iggy Pop live in San Diego (11/16/1977) 653826
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Iggy Pop live in San Diego (11/16/1977)   Thoughts on Iggy Pop live in San Diego (11/16/1977) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 2:17 am

I love the song "Rock Action" - with a bit of work and some tightening up in places this could have been as good as "Dirt". The song is all tension, with Iggy deliberately holding back over that wonderful grinding riff - even the line 'let's go... completely fuckin' nuts' is controlled and thus more dangerous, more menacing.
Great song.
The rest of the gig isn't bad either! And it's amazing how different the set list is from earlier in the tour.
Back to top Go down
imastooge69

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2011-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Iggy Pop live in San Diego (11/16/1977)   Thoughts on Iggy Pop live in San Diego (11/16/1977) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 24, 2012 11:52 pm

adams66 wrote:
I love the song "Rock Action" - with a bit of work and some tightening up in places this could have been as good as "Dirt". The song is all tension, with Iggy deliberately holding back over that wonderful grinding riff - even the line 'let's go... completely fuckin' nuts' is controlled and thus more dangerous, more menacing.
Great song.
The rest of the gig isn't bad either! And it's amazing how different the set list is from earlier in the tour.

I agree on that! Maybe there was restrictions or so, or it was intentional.
If he was restricted from going wild on stage usual, I think he would just go on a rampage!

Right now, I am trying to find a recording of Manchester (good luck on that! )
and Berlin. I have a few 'Idiot tour' shows, most recent being a decent quality bootleg of the Rainbow gig.

I find the Lust for Life tour to be more interesting than the Idiot tour due to there being less keyboard, more guitar, and far more intense. Shame it was so short. And finding the shows (w/ the exception of this) can be quite a chore. It took me several hours to find the speed corrected L'Hippodrome show.

I just got bittorrent and I remember seeing a lot of later 77-78 shows, having trouble finding that. I also found Live at Ungano's after a short while, once again, a chore to find.

To say, the Where the faces shine box set is a saving grace, I wish there was more.
But a overview of Stockholm '78 will be up tonight.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thoughts on Iggy Pop live in San Diego (11/16/1977)   Thoughts on Iggy Pop live in San Diego (11/16/1977) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thoughts on Iggy Pop live in San Diego (11/16/1977)
Page 1 of 1