Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

1977 & Escaped Maniacs

Go down 
+3
the5thramone37
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
homesickjameswilliamson
7 posters
AuthorMessage
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

1977 & Escaped Maniacs Empty
PostSubject: 1977 & Escaped Maniacs   1977 & Escaped Maniacs Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2007 2:11 am

Hey i just wanted to see if anyone has bought either the easyaction boxset '1977' with some live stuff & raw mixes of The Idiot and Lust For Life or if anyone has bought 'Escaped Maniacs: Live at Lokerse' the 2DVD/CD boxset released this year.

Can anyone who has bought these tell me abuot them, if they are worth the purchase etc, thanks

Also something kinda funny and all at once shocking ha ha, read the amazon.co.uk product description for Escaped Maniacs:

Product Description
Legendary band Iggy and the Stooges are captured live at Belguims Lokerse festival in an stunning performance during 2005 European tour. The bands performance combined the raw vigour of youthful song writing and the out of the world techniques of veteran musicians. All members of the original line appeared - the Asheton Brothers, Dave Alexander and of course the legendary Iggy Pop. The DVD contains the live concert, interviews with Ron & Scott Asheton, Iggy Pop, Esther Friedman plus a sixty minute Iggy Retrospective. The package also contains a CD of this outstanding performance.

Last edited by on Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: 1977 & Escaped Maniacs   1977 & Escaped Maniacs Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2007 2:13 am

i would have baught the box but all it had that i didnt is the 4 idiot alternate mixes/outtake

i hope someone can post those 4 somehwere.

when they release the boxset with the unganos 70, i'll be on it faster than flies on shit.

cheers.
Back to top Go down
the5thramone37
Dog Food
the5thramone37

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2007-03-12

PostSubject: Re: 1977 & Escaped Maniacs   1977 & Escaped Maniacs Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2007 12:23 am

Can someone tell me what exactly what was the Unganos 1970 gig?
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: 1977 & Escaped Maniacs   1977 & Escaped Maniacs Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2007 8:53 am

The Stooges played a run of shows at the New York club Unganos between 18th and 21st August 1970.
This was only ten days after Dave Alexander had been fired.
The basic line up of Iggy, Ron and Scott was bolstered by Steve Mackay on sax, and roadies Tommy 'Zeke' Zettner on bass and Bill Cheatham on second guitar.
Famously Miles Davis saw the Unganos gigs and loved them. He also allegedly shared his coke with Ron!
For Funhouse fans a recording of one of thes gigs, rumoured to exist in the hands of a select few, is like a Holy Grail of Stooges gigs!
If it ever gets released then I'll be fighting with Jesus Loves The Stooges to be first in line!!
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: 1977 & Escaped Maniacs   1977 & Escaped Maniacs Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2007 1:28 pm

Smile cheers to that Richard !
Back to top Go down
Paul T

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-03-23

PostSubject: Re: 1977 & Escaped Maniacs   1977 & Escaped Maniacs Icon_minitimeTue Oct 09, 2007 4:38 pm

No news on the release of Ungano's as yet. It is worth the wait. I thought the performance sounded terrific - I've heard maybe four songs - and altho the quality has been descirbed as not great, it sounded better than many boots I've heard.

AS far as I can remember Zeke sounded pretty damn good too considering he'd only been in the band for 10 days or so.

As mentioned in at least one book, it was in the course of these gigs that The FEllow hooked up with a heroin supplier. So this gig shows them at their height, just on the brink of The Fall...
Back to top Go down
the5thramone37
Dog Food
the5thramone37

PostSubject: Re: 1977 & Escaped Maniacs   1977 & Escaped Maniacs Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 3:35 am

is it true that iggy picked up girls from the audience and threw a bunch of shit around and stuff at those shows?
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

PostSubject: Re: 1977 & Escaped Maniacs   1977 & Escaped Maniacs Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 5:04 am

Yes.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: 1977 & Escaped Maniacs   1977 & Escaped Maniacs Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2007 2:57 pm

Waow, i'd love to hear that ungano's tape as well, wats the deal, amean, granted they cant release it legally without 'endorsement' or blessing from the band, but if its out there the people who do have it should share it with all of the other people who want to hear it, i hate all this covetous thing that stooges bootleggers and bootleggees have, its stupid surely it would be better if we all could hear the music, no?
Back to top Go down
adams66

PostSubject: Re: 1977 & Escaped Maniacs   1977 & Escaped Maniacs Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2007 5:10 pm

Sharing sites like Dimeadozen or the Traders Den have done loads to kill the profits made by bootleggers over the years.
By sharing recordings of indeterminate origin, individually made recordings of gigs and copies of actual bootleg albums, now so many more people can appreciate live music and long lost concerts without shelling out vast sums of money to bootleggers who rarely cared about the music itself, merely the profits they could make from the hard work and talent of others.
These days I never pay for ROIOs, swapping, or sharing is the way to go. The internet has made it so easy to share rare material.
I mean, what's the point of hoarding music for yourself? Music is for everyone to hear.
One day, hopefully soon, this Ungano's gig will be issued. Can't wait!
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
the5thramone37
Dog Food
the5thramone37

PostSubject: Re: 1977 & Escaped Maniacs   1977 & Escaped Maniacs Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 9:55 pm

does anyone know who has it or when it should be out?
Back to top Go down
Paul T

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-03-23

PostSubject: Re: 1977 & Escaped Maniacs   1977 & Escaped Maniacs Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 11:07 pm

The guy has Ungano's is the one who sold the debut album out-takes tp Rhino - and is still sitting on a version of I'm Sick! (which is like a Holy Grail of Stooges out-takes. It's mentioned in Open Up and Bleed... he paid good money for them, I imagine, so won't give them up for free, but he is a huge fan and I think bought the tapes as much to enjoy them as to sell them on.

A couple of legit people are negotiating to release it and it would be done with The Ig's approval.
Back to top Go down
the5thramone37
Dog Food
the5thramone37

PostSubject: Re: 1977 & Escaped Maniacs   1977 & Escaped Maniacs Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2007 4:49 am

thanks man! By the way, are you the same Paul T. that wrote Open Up And Bleed? If so, great book man!
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: 1977 & Escaped Maniacs   1977 & Escaped Maniacs Icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2007 5:17 pm

Thats great news and i agree entirely with you Richard or adam66, its not fair, and thanks Paul T for at least givin the rest of us stoogephiles hope that unganos and other rarities (im sick! i cant believe it!) may yet reach out ears.

- HJW
Back to top Go down
adams66

PostSubject: Re: 1977 & Escaped Maniacs   1977 & Escaped Maniacs Icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2007 3:29 pm

That IS cool news indeed. Let's hope that Rhino, or some such company that cares about the music want to issue these recordings.
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
Donald

Number of posts : 1003
Registration date : 2007-11-22

PostSubject: Re: 1977 & Escaped Maniacs   1977 & Escaped Maniacs Icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2007 6:38 pm

homesickjameswilliamson wrote:
Can anyone who has bought these tell me abuot them, if they are worth the purchase etc, thanks

I've just been watching Escaped Maniacs and it is definitely worth getting if you haven't already got any Stooges DVDs. If you've got Detroit or Exit then get it if you are a collector. It is a pretty good package, there is the regular gig footage and a director's cut with special effects and some different camera angles plus the audio of the gig on CD and a 60 minute documentary.

1977 is another Easy Action rip off. The packaging is pretty poor and some of the stuff has been released before. This really is collector's only. They did ok with the Heavy Liquid box but they are scraping the barrel with this one. Or putting it another way, performing a useful service to Stooges fans making these poor quality recordings easier to get hold of. I just don't see why they're so expensive, it's not like they're recouping recording costs is it?
Back to top Go down
Borntohula

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2007-02-28

PostSubject: Re: 1977 & Escaped Maniacs   1977 & Escaped Maniacs Icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2007 1:29 pm

The audio CD of Escaped maniacs is pure mint. As is the dvd. It's a shame the package is underdevolped design vice.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1977 & Escaped Maniacs   1977 & Escaped Maniacs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1977 & Escaped Maniacs
Page 1 of 1