Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Date Iggy played Bristol (UK) in 1978?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Stranger09

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2009-02-19

Date Iggy played Bristol (UK) in 1978? Empty
PostSubject: Date Iggy played Bristol (UK) in 1978?   Date Iggy played Bristol (UK) in 1978? Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 2:49 am

Hi

the archivist in me likes to get the date of recordings correct.

Before anyone gets excited - no I do not have an uncirculated recording of Iggy live in Bristol 1978 - sorry.

The "Lust For Live" CD got slated in some quarters - largely because the proclaimed "remastered" live tracks sounded awful.

But...it does have an interesting interview.

In one segment of this Iggy mentions playing "Bristol last night", and other statements suggest very strongly this interview is recorded during the 1978 tour.

The interview itself could well be recorded in London - he mentions the Old Kent Road in a way that suggests he could have been near there before the recording, perhaps.

Given the last, or one of the last, gigs of the tour was on 13 June 78 in London, perhaps the interview was recorded then?

Further study of the interview may prove more conclusive (or not) but in the meantime any comment re the Bristol date would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help.

Smile
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Date Iggy played Bristol (UK) in 1978?   Date Iggy played Bristol (UK) in 1978? Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 11:09 am

I don't think Iggy played Bristol in 1978, though I don't have a 100% certain gig list for this tour.

But in 1977 he played at Bristol's Colston Hall on 28 Sep 1977, followed by two shows at the the Rainbow in London on 30 Sep and 01 Oct. This ties in precisely with what you are saying re timescales.

I have that disc somewhere, (but the quality was so crap that I've not played it since I got it...) so well done for persevering with it! What is it in the interview that implies a 1978 date?

Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

PostSubject: Re: Date Iggy played Bristol (UK) in 1978?   Date Iggy played Bristol (UK) in 1978? Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 10:18 pm

"What is it in the interview that implies a 1978 date?"

Good question...the way he says "and now I'm doing this tour", in a way I thought - quite possibly wrongly given your information above, it sounded like a little later.

There may have been something else he said or implied - I will listen again to see.

It's a good interview...Iggy shows his arrogance and self belief a little too much at times but at least he's honest about that...it also has the cool headed analysis of situations he indulges in which is both at times fascinating and apt, and at others slightly baffling.

It's well recorded as interviews go, but not for professional use, clearly it was a journalist's reference tape...I am actually processing it at present as there's severe right channel bias and other minor issues. I don't usually spend a lot of time on interviews but I do enjoy them occasionally and it's actually fair relaxing after an intense time spent outside of work on compiling from a lot of CDs...this is a breeze in comparison Smile
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

PostSubject: Re: Date Iggy played Bristol (UK) in 1978?   Date Iggy played Bristol (UK) in 1978? Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 10:30 pm

Incidentally he goes on to talk about tracks he wrote for New Values...I think I had recalled that although I didn't stumble across that bit until now.

So the jury is out on the date, I think when I first listened to this I thought it was around the time of New Values, but then a lot of the numbers for that album were written by / during 1978.

Incidentally I've just figured out that Curiosity was loosely based on "Miss Amanda Jones" by the Stones. He doesn't name the song - he cannot remember it - but he says it was ripped off from the Stones...and goes on to say around the Aftermath when they started doing these great boogie songs, and Miss Amanda Jones came to mind when he says it (loved it since I heard it in the film "Some Kind of Wonderful"! Smile).

He's talking a lot about New Values songs now...so perhaps it's from 1979! When I've digested the interview in full (again...this is the first time I've started listening to it in full since I got the disc) I'll have more idea. Did he play Bristol in 1979? Smile
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Date Iggy played Bristol (UK) in 1978?   Date Iggy played Bristol (UK) in 1978? Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 12:25 am

I think you must be right; if he was talking about New Values songs, the interview must be from later than 1977. Whilst some NV songs were performed in 1978 I seriously doubt that any were written while he was still touring Lust For Life.
As I say I don't have a full gig list for 1978, so the interview could easily come from one of the gaps in 1978, but he also played Bristol in spring 1979 - the schedule was as follows -
08 May Bristol, Locarno
11 May Newcastle, Mayfair Ballroom
12 May Leeds, University, Leeds
13 May London, The Lyceum

So if Bristol was 'last night' that would imply that the interview was conducted on 09 May on one of a couple of days off - and it would seem more likely that he'd be hanging out in London on a few days off rather than a more provincial town.

I know it doesn't really matter, but like you, I like to get dates and facts straight, so I find all this fascinating. Apologies to those who don't!

Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

PostSubject: Re: Date Iggy played Bristol (UK) in 1978?   Date Iggy played Bristol (UK) in 1978? Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 2:23 am

Thanks Richard for the info...think you've hit the nail on the head there, re when this should have been recorded.

Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Date Iggy played Bristol (UK) in 1978?   Date Iggy played Bristol (UK) in 1978? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Date Iggy played Bristol (UK) in 1978?
Page 1 of 1