Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

better lp - open up and bleed bomp OR rubber legs?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
oblivion now

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2015-04-25

better lp - open up and bleed bomp OR rubber legs? Empty
PostSubject: better lp - open up and bleed bomp OR rubber legs?   better lp - open up and bleed bomp OR rubber legs? Icon_minitimeWed May 13, 2015 6:56 pm

Just wondering which of the two lp's has better mastering/etc of the cbs tracks.
Back to top Go down
oblivion now

PostSubject: Re: better lp - open up and bleed bomp OR rubber legs?   better lp - open up and bleed bomp OR rubber legs? Icon_minitimeThu May 14, 2015 10:53 pm

Is anybody here?
Back to top Go down
andrew

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: better lp - open up and bleed bomp OR rubber legs?   better lp - open up and bleed bomp OR rubber legs? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 12:47 pm

Neither of the two LPs can be recommended for these tracks really, as they both have them at the wrong speed. The only release that has them at the right speed is the old "Stooges Rehearsals 73-74" bootleg LP, which is also the source for both of the above LPs. If you dig around in this forum you'll find a lot of info about these tracks. They don't appear to have actually been recorded at CBS studios, despite what some sleeve notes say. They are just taken from the same rehearsal tapes that all the other releases on Bomp etc have been. There is a lot of info on these rehearsal tapes on here.
Back to top Go down
oblivion now

PostSubject: Re: better lp - open up and bleed bomp OR rubber legs?   better lp - open up and bleed bomp OR rubber legs? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 3:06 pm

Im assuming that heavy liquid has them at the right speed with the best sound, right? Its too bad easy action hasnt done a vinyl press of heavy liquid. Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
andrew

PostSubject: Re: better lp - open up and bleed bomp OR rubber legs?   better lp - open up and bleed bomp OR rubber legs? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 3:46 pm

No, Heavy Liquid does not have them at the right speed. Every release with the exception of the original bootleg has them at the wrong speed (too fast.) The one track that is the exception is the (version 2) of Rubber Legs that appears on both Open Up and Bleed and Heavy Liquid. This "version 2" is in fact the same take as the other Rubber Legs on those releases but at the correct speed. As I say, all this is covered in some detail in this forum. The sticky thread "Stooges rehearsal tapes 1973" is a good place to start for info on all this.
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: better lp - open up and bleed bomp OR rubber legs?   better lp - open up and bleed bomp OR rubber legs? Icon_minitimeFri May 15, 2015 7:51 pm

Quite right Andrew. The Heavy Liquid set, although it brings together most of the available material from this period, is not definitive by any means, and has basically sourced the songs from previously available releases. They haven't had access to the masters of the rehearsal material at all.
I wonder where these master recordings actually are?
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
StoogesFan

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2009-09-23

PostSubject: Re: better lp - open up and bleed bomp OR rubber legs?   better lp - open up and bleed bomp OR rubber legs? Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 12:18 am

adams66 wrote:
Quite right Andrew. The Heavy Liquid set, although it brings together most of the available material from this period, is not definitive by any means, and has basically sourced the songs from previously available releases. They haven't had access to the masters of the rehearsal material at all.
I wonder where these master recordings actually are?
Cheers,
Richard

As I have previously said, the 'master recordings' of these rehearsal tapes are almost certainly somewhere within the archives of Bomp Records. James Williamson delivered a box of various tapes to Greg Shaw during the mid-1970's, of which the rehearsal recordings were a part. I have copies of a few of these tapes dubbed directly from the masters by Greg himself. The vinyl single which came free with an issue of Spiral Scratch magazine included 'She Creatures of Hollywood Hills' and 'Untitled' (a.k.a. Till' the End of the Night) which were taken from my tapes. It is strongly rumoured that the journalist Nick Kent also had copies of these recordings given by the band. It is unknown how Revenge Records obtained the tracks which appeared on the Rubber Legs album, but they were mastered at the wrong speed. Greg copied the Rubber Legs album for inclusion on subsequent Bomp releases purely because it saved him the trouble of searching out the masters in his archive - which were all on unlabelled tapes. This is why the Bomp releases (and others) also have the tracks at the wrong speed.
Back to top Go down
oblivion now

PostSubject: Re: better lp - open up and bleed bomp OR rubber legs?   better lp - open up and bleed bomp OR rubber legs? Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 12:41 am

Approx how much % is it too fast?
Back to top Go down
andrew

PostSubject: Re: better lp - open up and bleed bomp OR rubber legs?   better lp - open up and bleed bomp OR rubber legs? Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 12:52 am

The timing of the two Rubber Legs on Heavy Liquid are 5:24 and 5:42, so if my maths is right the 5:24 track is about 5.5% too fast.
Back to top Go down
oblivion now

PostSubject: Re: better lp - open up and bleed bomp OR rubber legs?   better lp - open up and bleed bomp OR rubber legs? Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 12:58 am

It seems odd that EA didn't fix the speed for the box set. The session such just be released on a pitch correct lp by some bootlegger. C'mon bootleggers!!! I'm going to pick up both the 2xlp's on get back to have the rest of the rehearsals on vinyl. And why does the 73-74 bootleg have the correct speed and everything else is too fast?
Back to top Go down
andrew

PostSubject: Re: better lp - open up and bleed bomp OR rubber legs?   better lp - open up and bleed bomp OR rubber legs? Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 1:09 am

The "73-74" bootleg was the first release of these tracks. The Rubber Legs LP came out fairly shortly after that and was probably sourced from the bootleg, but with the tracks too fast - perhaps it was sourced from a tape of the bootleg? Every subsequent release seems to have ultimately been sourced from the Rubber Legs LP. Incidentally "Cry For Me / Pin Point Eyes" is also faded out a couple of minutes early on Rubber Legs and every other release except the original bootleg.
Back to top Go down
oblivion now

PostSubject: Re: better lp - open up and bleed bomp OR rubber legs?   better lp - open up and bleed bomp OR rubber legs? Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 1:27 am

Since 73-74 is pitch correct, what's the deal with the two versions of Rubber Legs and Cock In My Pocket? As far as I know there's only one recording of Rubber Legs, unless it's How It Hurts.
Back to top Go down
andrew

PostSubject: Re: better lp - open up and bleed bomp OR rubber legs?   better lp - open up and bleed bomp OR rubber legs? Icon_minitimeSat May 16, 2015 1:49 am

73-74 has the same recording of Rubber Legs twice (although one is truncated). Ditto for Cock In My  Pocket. There is actually another recording of Rubber Legs though (as well as How It Hurts.) Again this thread is a good place to find the info.
Back to top Go down
oblivion now

PostSubject: Re: better lp - open up and bleed bomp OR rubber legs?   better lp - open up and bleed bomp OR rubber legs? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 08, 2015 1:38 am

Had a genius monent. Instead of waiting around to find a non-expensive copy of the 73-74 lp, I will just get ouab on bomp and just turn the speed on my record player down a bit to speed correct the cbs tracks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: better lp - open up and bleed bomp OR rubber legs?   better lp - open up and bleed bomp OR rubber legs? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

better lp - open up and bleed bomp OR rubber legs?
Page 1 of 1