Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

1970: The Complete Funhouse Sessions

Go down 
+13
jpstooges
unheard78
jdb1982
Eman Resu
StoogesMySpaceAdmin
mc
G, F#, E
Donald
Colin Chaos
Paul T
Loose1969
adams66
homesickjameswilliamson
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
unheard78

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2010-05-15

1970: The Complete Funhouse Sessions - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1970: The Complete Funhouse Sessions   1970: The Complete Funhouse Sessions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 2:08 am

That's totally wrong. The final mixes are all present.

jdb1982 wrote:
I haven't listened to my Funhouse box in a while but this isn't true is it?

From the HoundBlog:

Quote :
It's fun to hear all the outtakes and variations, but they knew when they had nailed a tune. Oddly enough, on the box you never get to hear the final versions that were on the LP with Ron's rhythm guitar overdubs.
Back to top Go down
http://unheard78.blogspot.com
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: 1970: The Complete Funhouse Sessions   1970: The Complete Funhouse Sessions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 3:20 am

unheard78 wrote:

jdb1982 wrote:

From the HoundBlog:

Quote :
It's fun to hear all the outtakes and variations, but they knew when they had nailed a tune. Oddly enough, on the box you never get to hear the final versions that were on the LP with Ron's rhythm guitar overdubs.

I think almost all the tracks had some double tracking, double soloing, double vocals, rythm guitar etc so none of the finished mixes are there.
Back to top Go down
unheard78

PostSubject: Re: 1970: The Complete Funhouse Sessions   1970: The Complete Funhouse Sessions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 6:18 am

Okay, let's back up for one minute. I don't know if the truly "complete" sessions are present in the new mixes, and that's speaking specifically about extra parts or overdubs that were recorded, but I believe, if I remember correctly from what I read, that the takes which were used on the final album are the same mixes used for the album. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think so. That said, I've never had a physical copy of the Fun House sessions box. I purchased it several years ago on itunes and it came with no information beyond the track titles. I do have a lossless copy of the complete box with scans included so I'll have to go take a look. But I'm pretty sure the final album mixes are all present on the box.

G, F#, E wrote:
unheard78 wrote:

jdb1982 wrote:

From the HoundBlog:

Quote :

I think almost all the tracks had some double tracking, double soloing, double vocals, rythm guitar etc so none of the finished mixes are there.
Back to top Go down
jpstooges

jpstooges

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2009-06-07

PostSubject: Re: 1970: The Complete Funhouse Sessions   1970: The Complete Funhouse Sessions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 7:56 am

From CD6 booklet:
1970: The Complete Funhouse Sessions - Page 2 89348_funhouse_booklet_CD6
Back to top Go down
unheard78

PostSubject: Re: 1970: The Complete Funhouse Sessions   1970: The Complete Funhouse Sessions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 3:35 pm

JP for the win! So all the tracks on the box, apart from the single, are new mixes? They make it a little confusing. I'm gonna do a side by side later today and I'll let you know what I find, but I'd imagine, even if they're remixes, that they're gonna be pretty much the same as the released versions.

Speaking of the Fun House box, I found a rip of the Declaration Of War bootleg I did quite a few years ago. For those unfamiliar, it's a vinyl-only "best-of" for the Fun House box. I got it when I couldn't get a copy of the box, apart from legally purchasing a download via iTunes, and it's made from the CDs so it's not like there is anything special on it that anyone who has the box doesn't have. Still though, it was a nice quality pressing. I don't have the vinyl any longer, it's totally unnecessary, but it's still cool.
Back to top Go down
mr.datsun

mr.datsun

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2010-03-23

PostSubject: Re: 1970: The Complete Funhouse Sessions   1970: The Complete Funhouse Sessions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 2:59 am

I haven't noticed any difference between the old CD and the boxset versions mixwise but I haven't done a side by side. So, I'd like to hear your A/B ing conclusions, unheard78.

As an aside, I'm enjoying listening to the Sundazed Fun House LP. Mastered from the original tapes. Sounds very nice! More pleasure than the CD, IMO.
Back to top Go down
scoh

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-04-26

PostSubject: Re: 1970: The Complete Funhouse Sessions   1970: The Complete Funhouse Sessions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 7:55 pm

G, F#, E wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get a hold of one?

There's currently two on Amazon.com. One for $170, the other for $999.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000UEIGB6/ref=sr_1_16_olp?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1276620765&sr=1-16&condition=used

The cheaper one is missing the box, the poster and a couple of discs though.
Back to top Go down
unheard78

PostSubject: Re: 1970: The Complete Funhouse Sessions   1970: The Complete Funhouse Sessions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 16, 2010 2:40 pm

Okay, I finally did an A/B comparison of the box set and deluxe cd versions of the tracks. It doesn't sound like they're different mixes to me, although the mastering is definitely a little bit different. The box set versions all seem to have a slightly deeper bass sound throughout, although it's very slight.

The biggest issue I have with the non-availability of something like this box set in this modern marketplace is it being available for purchase digitally but without any of the packaging data. I purchased it from iTunes a few years ago before they changed their standard compression setting to 256kbps variable AAC files, so I got the "decent" 128kbps versions. AAC is better than MP3 if you ask me, and 128 AAC is more in line with a MP3 file somewhere between 160 to 192 kbps, but it's pretty damn weak nonetheless. Now you can purchase it at 256kbps and also in MP3 from Rhino's site (I'd be surprised if it's not available at Amazon for download too), but you don't get ANY of the artwork or liner notes. I've got a very nice lossless rip of the whole set that comes with a ton of the artwork and packaging, but I don't have any of the liner notes and that's a shame. I would love to read the liners so badly!

Anyway, I feel no guilt having downloaded an "illicit" rip of the box as I'd purchased the download prior, but there really should be a pdf of the packaging included with the digital downloads. If this weren't still available somewhere else I'd say it would be worthy of being bootlegged to death, although I'm more in favor of that move since this is something for fans, collectors and audiophiles, and MP3s, no matter how good they're compressed, really aren't intended for those audiences, at least not when something better is available.
Back to top Go down
sweet_sixteen

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: 1970: The Complete Funhouse Sessions   1970: The Complete Funhouse Sessions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 18, 2010 5:03 am

Yeah...I downloaded it for free and though i feel a little guilty I could never afford/justify spending that kind of cash on the physical copies. So i choose to believe that I support them in spirit by listening to it and ensuring that the music lives on for another generation.

Though 1970 (Take 5) is probably worth the money alone...
Back to top Go down
IGGYDANZIG

IGGYDANZIG

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: 1970: The Complete Funhouse Sessions   1970: The Complete Funhouse Sessions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 18, 2010 11:22 am

there is also another bootleg CD called PEANUT BUTTER that has a bunch of the tracks if you cant get the boxset
I
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1970: The Complete Funhouse Sessions   1970: The Complete Funhouse Sessions - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

1970: The Complete Funhouse Sessions
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: