Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gimme Danger - slight re-write / replacement of Sick Of You

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Stranger09

Number of posts : 490
Registration date : 2009-02-19

Gimme Danger - slight re-write / replacement of Sick Of You Empty
PostSubject: Gimme Danger - slight re-write / replacement of Sick Of You   Gimme Danger - slight re-write / replacement of Sick Of You Icon_minitimeSun Dec 13, 2015 1:50 am

I quite often hear similarities between songs, admittedly that not everyone else sees / hears, but where it's not licks or chords it'll be something in the construction of the song.

I've long admired Sick Of You - indeed, collecting the brilliant, imo, versions of it from Iggy's 1987 tour has been a passion and mission of mine for a while now (as per the bootleg thread), but I digress. I realised the other day that Gimme Danger could well have been a partial re-write or at least replacement of the song in terms of style when recording the tracks for Raw Power.

We've all read time and time again that the songs recorded in 1972 before Raw Power were rejected by the record company (and Tony Defries apparently). Well, clearly Iggy felt some of the some were too strong to be forgotten, and Sick of You was arguably the strongest.

I started hearing similarities in my head to Gimme Danger...clearly the band were aware the Sick of You guitar riff is a pretty blatant grab from the piano line is Cat Steven's 'Sad Lisa', although the chord sequence does differ a little, also the riff in the chorus comes straight from Happenings Ten Years Time Ago by the The Yardbirds - although it all works brilliantly, of course. Gimme Danger features a slightly more developed guitar riff, and a tightly reined in chorus, which gives a sense of the danger lurking behind it, to back up the lyrical concept (hope my amateur dissertation works there).

Hmm, don't know what to add to that, apart from, you may or may not agree. Smile
Back to top Go down
andrew

Number of posts : 154
Registration date : 2009-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Gimme Danger - slight re-write / replacement of Sick Of You   Gimme Danger - slight re-write / replacement of Sick Of You Icon_minitimeMon Dec 14, 2015 2:30 am

Can't say I've noticed similarities between those two songs, but I've often wondered whether Curiosity off New Values owes something to Rubber Legs.
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

PostSubject: Re: Gimme Danger - slight re-write / replacement of Sick Of You   Gimme Danger - slight re-write / replacement of Sick Of You Icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2015 1:43 am

ah yes, I see (well hear) what you mean re Rubberlegs / Curiosity! Smile
Back to top Go down
Stranger09

PostSubject: Re: Gimme Danger - slight re-write / replacement of Sick Of You   Gimme Danger - slight re-write / replacement of Sick Of You Icon_minitimeFri Jan 29, 2016 12:16 am

This reminded me of my thoughts about Sick of You and Gimme Danger....interesting comment by Iggy re Raw Power, in the interview primarily about Bowie linked to below...

"David had an important effect on the third Stooges album, Raw Power. We did some sessions at Olympic Studios in London — songs like "Tight Pants," "I'm Sick of You," "I Got a Right" — and sent the tapes to David. He came back to me: "You can do better than that." So we did. We wrote more and came up with more sophisticated work. If we were going to be in his stable, he wanted us to do work of the very best quality."

As told to David Fricke

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features...7#ixzz3yURhawG2

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gimme Danger - slight re-write / replacement of Sick Of You   Gimme Danger - slight re-write / replacement of Sick Of You Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gimme Danger - slight re-write / replacement of Sick Of You
Page 1 of 1