Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Iggy on Jonesy's Jukebox - some interesting info on Funhouse

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
midnight frank

midnight frank

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2016-03-16

Iggy on Jonesy's Jukebox - some interesting info on Funhouse Empty
PostSubject: Iggy on Jonesy's Jukebox - some interesting info on Funhouse   Iggy on Jonesy's Jukebox - some interesting info on Funhouse Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 1:11 am

Iggy (along with Josh Homme) stopped by Steve Jones' radio show a few days back. Interesting interview overall, but what was particularly interesting was some info he shared about the recording of Funhouse - begins around the 32:27 mark:

955klos.com/2016/03/11/march-11-iggy-pop-and-josh-homme-in-studio-on-jonesys-jukebox/
Back to top Go down
woody

woody

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2011-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Iggy on Jonesy's Jukebox - some interesting info on Funhouse   Iggy on Jonesy's Jukebox - some interesting info on Funhouse Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2016 10:15 pm

Good posting

Great to hear that frank. Thanks so much for the link.
Back to top Go down
midnight frank

midnight frank

PostSubject: Re: Iggy on Jonesy's Jukebox - some interesting info on Funhouse   Iggy on Jonesy's Jukebox - some interesting info on Funhouse Icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2016 1:01 am

No problem!

Didn't know Brian Ross-Myring was so important for how Funhouse turned up sounding. Iggy doesn't even mention Don Gallucci in the clip, because it seems Ross-Myring not only was the engineer but also mixed the record.
Back to top Go down
let me in!

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2016-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Iggy on Jonesy's Jukebox - some interesting info on Funhouse   Iggy on Jonesy's Jukebox - some interesting info on Funhouse Icon_minitimeThu Apr 21, 2016 10:19 pm

midnight frank wrote:

Didn't know Brian Ross-Myring was so important for how Funhouse turned up sounding. Iggy doesn't even mention Don Gallucci in the clip, because it seems Ross-Myring not only was the engineer but also mixed the record.

Ron Asheton thought that Funhouse had a terrible mix. After considering this, I think he's right. The performances on Funhouse are excellent but the mix leaves you a little frustrated - leaves you wanting a little more.

But the way Funhouse was recorded I don't even know that it is possible to remix the album. My understanding is that the band was recorded live. That's why all those reams of outtakes survived. Such little tape was used to record them that Elektra bore little expense in preserving them all. So in a way the 'bust' of a bad mix was really a 'boon' with all the unreleased material that survived.

In the most recent issue of Rolling Stone they ranked the 40 Greatest Punk Albums Of All Time. Funhouse placed number 4. Ironically the album that placed number 1 is the album I would classify as the most Funhouse-influenced album of all time - the Ramones debut. Another band that I think whose sound owed a heavy debt to Funhouse, Joy Division, also placed.

Amazingly Raw Power did not register on the list. But the list was basically the 40 Greatest Punk Albums Of All Time with a quota of one album per artist. Nobody placed twice on the list.

R.I.P. Prince who was influenced by Funkadelic, who were in turn influenced by the Stooges and who Iggy used to hang out with.
Back to top Go down
midnight frank

midnight frank

PostSubject: Re: Iggy on Jonesy's Jukebox - some interesting info on Funhouse   Iggy on Jonesy's Jukebox - some interesting info on Funhouse Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2016 10:04 pm

let me in! wrote:
Ron Asheton thought that Funhouse had a terrible mix. After considering this, I think he's right. The performances on Funhouse are excellent but the mix leaves you a little frustrated - leaves you wanting a little more.

Really? Dunno, in my opinion Funhouse is one of the most perfect sounding records in rock history. I wouldn't touch a note on that record, and wasn't really a fan of the re-mastered 2005 reissue either.

Raw Power on the other hand... I just wish Williamson put his hands on a remix of this, the same way he did with Ed Cherney around 2010 on Kill City - with the results being fantastic on that one imo.

Last edited by midnight frank on Sun Apr 24, 2016 12:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dnlkmnd

dnlkmnd

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2013-04-25

PostSubject: Re: Iggy on Jonesy's Jukebox - some interesting info on Funhouse   Iggy on Jonesy's Jukebox - some interesting info on Funhouse Icon_minitimeSat Apr 23, 2016 10:35 pm

Jack White had nothing to do with the remastering of Funhouse. He only wrote a tiny bit of the liner notes.
Back to top Go down
midnight frank

midnight frank

PostSubject: Re: Iggy on Jonesy's Jukebox - some interesting info on Funhouse   Iggy on Jonesy's Jukebox - some interesting info on Funhouse Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2016 12:15 am

Ah, my bad - mixed up a couple of stuff there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Iggy on Jonesy's Jukebox - some interesting info on Funhouse   Iggy on Jonesy's Jukebox - some interesting info on Funhouse Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Iggy on Jonesy's Jukebox - some interesting info on Funhouse
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: