Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Stooges whole 1969 concert?!

Go down 
+7
sizeable bulge
StoogesFan
woody
Pop Stüge
adams66
pernil
midnight frank
11 posters
AuthorMessage
midnight frank

midnight frank

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2016-03-16

Stooges whole 1969 concert?! Empty
PostSubject: Stooges whole 1969 concert?!   Stooges whole 1969 concert?! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2016 1:08 am

So I was re-watching the press conference vid (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41MJ0o8C5DY)
for Gimme Danger and I read this comment by a guy going by the name 'Denny Mcfastlane' (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuwJYnWx3Js_CSqTVk-6Ecw):

"This is a Shame i didn't get word these people were looking for archive footage. I have a full concert of the sToOgEs taken with my Dad's 8mm RCA/Kodak movie projector camera. It's shot from the off left center of the 1st row of the balcony at Detroit's Eastown Theatre. My ticket stub is dated Friday Dec. 26, 1969. Savage Grace--**sToOgEs and ***The Flock. The Flock had Jerry Goodman(Violin), who later went on to play with the  Mahavishnu Orchestra. I have about 7-8  mins. of Savage Grace and the Flock, but the sToOgE performance is start to finish. Quality on a scale of 1. to 10., it's about a 7 1/2.  I had to sneak the camera and cassette recorder past the ticket takers, but as anyone who knows anything about fReAkquenting the Eastown, that was never a problem!  The camera had a simple recorder, but the two audio's mated/synchronized result...is a spooky eerie vibe.  This is the Original sToOgEs with Dave(Zander)Alexander, whom Iggy fired during the Goose Lake Concert in the upcoming summer of August,1970. ***R.i.P. Dave, Ron & Scott."

followed by:

"Hello JB, i have to take the original 8mm film, which by the way i've just recently viewed after a few years, into a local digital download transfer DVD firm. Remarkably, the 8mm has not deteriorated! I always kept the films i shot in a cool/dry/No Sunlight area. As far as making copies, i'd have done this years ago, but in Today's World it would just end up as a profit for someone else's means. "Gimme Danger" confirms the fact that probably zero population has a decent hour long uninterrupted/uncut/soundtrack of the original sToOgEs! I have 8mm films/35mm stills of other concerts that have Graced the Eastown Theatre, which i'm in the process of going thru because of the simple fact the scotch tape information labels have worn off. Several people have expressed interest in doing an Eastown Theatre Documentary since the release of the "Louder Than Love" Grande Ballroom Flick, but as of yet, all those plans seem to have fallen thru the cracks! At this point in time, i haven't a clue to what i'll ever do with all of this Rock N' Roll achieved History!!! Do You?#$%^*> :-)(-:"

Can this be true!? A FULL Stooges gig from 1969??? Does anyone know this guy? If this does exist, it is something of huge historical importance! Someone should contact the guy!!
Back to top Go down
pernil

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: Stooges whole 1969 concert?!   Stooges whole 1969 concert?! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2016 9:31 am

Sounds truly amazing! Did they really play one hour? Jimmy Silver and others have talked about 20-30-minute sets.
P

Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Stooges whole 1969 concert?!   Stooges whole 1969 concert?! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2016 9:31 am

Dear god, if this is genuine, then the words Holy and Grail spring to mind!!
What can we do to get this film out there for the world to see?
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Stooges whole 1969 concert?!   Stooges whole 1969 concert?! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2016 9:36 am

Yes, good point about the length of the set. I just read the post again and wondered about that.
As I understand it though, before the first album was recorded the usual set length was 20-30 minutes, but if this is really late 1969 as reported, then Fun House tunes were being played too so a an hour set is possible.
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
Pop Stüge

Pop Stüge

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2010-12-14

PostSubject: Re: Stooges whole 1969 concert?!   Stooges whole 1969 concert?! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2016 10:00 pm

ShockedStooges whole 1969 concert?! Eusa_drool
Back to top Go down
woody

woody

Number of posts : 636
Registration date : 2011-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Stooges whole 1969 concert?!   Stooges whole 1969 concert?! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 04, 2016 10:23 pm

Shock If this film really exists it should be licenced for a DVD release. Denny McF would surely make a pile of money! & the world would be forever indebted. Jim Jarmusch would surely be interested.

Back to top Go down
midnight frank

midnight frank

PostSubject: Re: Stooges whole 1969 concert?!   Stooges whole 1969 concert?! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2016 10:41 am

From what I gather the guy has many reservations putting the film out there. He deleted the youtube comments, and mentioned something about a manager before he did that. He could probably have had some sort of bad experience with the music business - not at all uncommon...

And from what he mentioned, if the tape he has is one hour long and the Flock and Savage Grace performance is 7-8 minutues, that maybe leaves the other 50 or so minutes to the Stooges?
Back to top Go down
StoogesFan

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2009-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Stooges whole 1969 concert?!   Stooges whole 1969 concert?! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2016 11:52 am

Someone should certainly contact this guy and assure him of good intentions. Obviously he is worried about being ripped-off, but he should be aware that genuine Stooges fans would happily pay for copies of this footage. It would seem a bit late for inclusion in 'Gimme Danger' (although an expanded DVD release would certainly be possible - and the whole concert could be included as a special feature).

I do hope he has saved the original sound recording. When he speaks of the two recordings (camera and cassette recorder) being 'mated together' producing a "spookily eerie vibe" this sounds like phasing. This happens when recordings are not synchronised properly, so if he has the original it is absolutely certain that the sound quality can be improved.
Back to top Go down
midnight frank

midnight frank

PostSubject: Re: Stooges whole 1969 concert?!   Stooges whole 1969 concert?! Icon_minitimeWed Oct 05, 2016 11:06 pm

Also since I followed the whole conversation of Youtube, here is the last comment he made before deleting:

"Well oh' Well, you sound like my ex-manager Mr. Robert . All of a sudden i've got a bunch of people trying to steer me into their personal directions on how to handle this! I knew this would happen, that's why i had third thoughts about even divulging this footage! The only way it's going to be viewed on YouTube--is if i torch it!!! This film is personal, kinda like a home movie. I took the time and effort to film these concerts, ...
Back to top Go down
sizeable bulge

Registration date : 2010-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Stooges whole 1969 concert?!   Stooges whole 1969 concert?! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2016 12:18 am

I thought this story was complete BS right from the very beginning. The guy claimed that he had to sneak his camera through security yet a camera of that vintage that could record uninterrupted for over an hour would have been huge. There is no way that he wouldn't have been spotted by security while he was filming, especially since he claimed to have done it from the first row of the balcony ,which would have been easily spotted by anyone on the floor looking up. Also the camera was supposedly his fathers in which case he ran the risk of having his camera confiscated (on multiple occasions since he claims to have filmed multiple shows)

Also any serious taper (and this guy was serious since he brought along a cassette recorder even though the camera had a mike) knows that you never play your master tape since you run the risk of damaging it. You play your copies. Yet this guy never made any copies. The VHS era comes and goes and he never has copies made. Ditto for the dvd era. His ostensible reason was that it would end up in the hands of others. Well that would only happen if he let it. Even if you store a tape properly like he claims to there is no guarantee that it won't deteriorate, hence the need to have copies made.

This was a hoax right from the very beginning. Don't lament that it won't ever be released -it never existed in the first place. I admit it was nice to dream for a little while that such a tape could exist but than cold hard reality intervened and I woke up.
Back to top Go down
sizeable bulge

Registration date : 2010-10-06

PostSubject: Re: Stooges whole 1969 concert?!   Stooges whole 1969 concert?! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2016 12:35 am

And as other people have noted the Stooges never played sets that long back then. Of the 6 shows that have surfaced from 1970-71 I don't think any were longer than 40 minutes, and this was when they had 2 albums under their belt.
Back to top Go down
Luzern

Luzern

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2009-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Stooges whole 1969 concert?!   Stooges whole 1969 concert?! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2016 2:02 am

sizeable bulge wrote:
I thought this story was complete BS right from the very beginning. The guy claimed that he had to sneak his camera through security yet a camera of that vintage that could record uninterrupted for over an hour would have been huge. There is no way that he wouldn't have been spotted by security while he was filming, especially since he claimed to have done it from the first row of the balcony ,which would have been easily spotted by anyone on the floor looking up.

I agree. 8 mm cameras of that era were loaded with film cartridges that allowed you to film for a little over 3 mins. After that you had to take out the cartridge and re-load the camera with a new cartridge. So, in order to film a 60 mins show you needed 20 cartridges of film and capturing a complete show was impossible because of the constant need for re-loading the camera with new film. Also 8 mm cameras that recorded sound directly onto the actual film only became available in 1973.
Back to top Go down
neven

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Stooges whole 1969 concert?!   Stooges whole 1969 concert?! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 06, 2016 11:09 pm

Wish it is true..but have doubts..
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Stooges whole 1969 concert?!   Stooges whole 1969 concert?! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 13, 2016 11:15 pm

This guy Denny McFastlane, has posted a lot about Detroit 60s/70s era bands all over the web these past few years and seems legit to me in that regard. If he was bullshitting I don't know why he'd pull his post. I'm gonna cross my fingers and wait and see what comes of this.

Are there any reviews of this gig?
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Stooges whole 1969 concert?!   Stooges whole 1969 concert?! Icon_minitimeSun Oct 16, 2016 7:35 am

mc wrote:
Are there any reviews of this gig?

Sure: It was good.
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
pernil

PostSubject: Re: Stooges whole 1969 concert?!   Stooges whole 1969 concert?! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2016 2:27 pm

Have not seen a review of that gig.

Footage was shot at a Stooges concert on 29 December 1969, at the Aragon Ballroom, Chicago. The Stooges played the Chicago Pop Festival, which also featured MC5, Bob Seger, Pacific Gas & Electric Litter, John Lee Hooker, Howlin’ Wolf, Coven, Baby Huey, Alice Cooper, Mason Profit, Rotary Connection, Bangor Flying Circus, and Hot Set Up. The show or parts thereof was shot on film by a team of underground filmmakers. Jimmy Silver: “Someone in the audience took the cinematographer’s battery pack during the show and he was making a scene while the band was playing, which definitely annoyed the boys. Near the end of the set, a girl close to the stage opened her blouse and bared her breasts for Iggy, who reacted disdainfully, much to her dismay.” According to Natalie Schlossman’s Popped fanzine, one of the tunes the filmmakers shot footage of was “I Wanna Be Your Dog.”
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: Stooges whole 1969 concert?!   Stooges whole 1969 concert?! Icon_minitimeMon Oct 17, 2016 5:43 pm

pernil wrote:
Have not seen a review of that gig.

Footage was shot at a Stooges concert on 29 December 1969, at the Aragon Ballroom, Chicago. The Stooges played the Chicago Pop Festival, which also featured MC5, Bob Seger, Pacific Gas & Electric Litter, John Lee Hooker, Howlin’ Wolf, Coven, Baby Huey, Alice Cooper, Mason Profit, Rotary Connection, Bangor Flying Circus, and Hot Set Up. The show or parts thereof was shot on film by a team of underground filmmakers. Jimmy Silver: “Someone in the audience took the cinematographer’s battery pack during the show and he was making a scene while the band was playing, which definitely annoyed the boys. Near the end of the set, a girl close to the stage opened her blouse and bared her breasts for Iggy, who reacted disdainfully, much to her dismay.” According to Natalie Schlossman’s Popped fanzine, one of the tunes the filmmakers shot footage of was “I Wanna Be Your Dog.”

Is this research for "Caught in the Act" Per? Is it still happening?
Back to top Go down
pernil

PostSubject: Re: Stooges whole 1969 concert?!   Stooges whole 1969 concert?! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2016 2:28 pm

Yes, it's still on, hopefull 2017 - 50 years since the Stooges made their debut. Per
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: Stooges whole 1969 concert?!   Stooges whole 1969 concert?! Icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2016 2:43 pm

pernil wrote:
Yes, it's still on, hopefull 2017 - 50 years since the Stooges made their debut. Per

Very Good!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stooges whole 1969 concert?!   Stooges whole 1969 concert?! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stooges whole 1969 concert?!
Page 1 of 1