Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House
 
HomeHome  FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Anyone here ever see The original stooges?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
bobyoung



Number of posts : 24
Age : 65
Registration date : 2007-12-26

PostSubject: Anyone here ever see The original stooges?   Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:50 am

I just wrote a big long thing about seeing them at the Boston Teaparty in 1969 in Boston, MA opening for Ten Years After but I lost it trying to put a link in it. To make it short, 99% of the audience hated them and most of what I just read in the book Gimme Danger on page 65 by fans who were supposedly there at that concert was BS, in fact Iggy didn't come into the audience at all. If anyone wants to hear the story I'll write it again, but I'm too tired to write it again.
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
avatar

Number of posts : 1296
Age : 25
Location : Motor City
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here ever see The original stooges?   Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:29 am

please write again, my dad saw iggy about 15 times between 69-74(in michigan area's) like sherwood forest, saint clair shores, and he was also at the last stooges show 74(metallic KO) he always tells me about how at a show around 70 iggy's manager told him not to be swinging his mic cord around on stage, and on the first song iggy swung it around his neck, and his manager came out, and yanked it right off his neck, and the show just stopped, and iggy left the stage, my dad and his friend decided since it wasnt obvious, to to around back stage, and so they did, and there was iggy sitting in the room with about maybe 15 people (people im assuming iggy knew) and he was sitting in a chair with his head down saying, i never ment to hurt anybody.

and Dirt became my dad;s favorite song because, every time they'd play it, iggy would hit himself brutally with the mic, causing blood, and sometimes a tooth might even fall out, as some pictures he took from 73 from the front row shows, iggy looking straight into the cam for a couple with a couple teeth missing, and a few of the pics with him rolling in the glass on stage, anyway, my dad probley has alot more cool story's my first time seeing iggy was 2001, but im was only like 8 then, since that ive seen iggy in 2003,and twice in 2007 all in detroit/michigan

i hope you will share your story.

and greetings fellow !
Back to top Go down
bobyoung



Number of posts : 24
Age : 65
Registration date : 2007-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here ever see The original stooges?   Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:00 pm

Sure, I'm sure your father's stories are more interesting than mine though as I only saw them once and it was their first Boston concert, probably not too long after they did their first album and the audience was not exactly in love with them. One of my friends who I did not know at the time also saw the same concert coincidently. I was 16 and it was my first pro concert so I didn't know what to expect. The were opening for an English band called Ten Years after who although very different were a really good live band so everyone there including me had never heard of The Stooges and were there to see Ten Years After. The Stooges came out and Iggy's mic was off for the the first song or part of it anyway, everyone motioned to Iggy that they couldn't hear him, he looked surprised and yelled something at the Sound Idiot who then turned his mic on. Iggy was hitting himself in the head with the mic and pulling his skin off his chest with his hand about I swear 2 inches. My friend said he was bleeding up there I don't remember that but believe him. I also remember him rolling around on the stage, he was quite a site. One of the main things I remember about the band was that they were very loud and sounded very good, the band was tight. This was the era when a lot of the sound came from the band's amps not the PA and they each had about 5 Marshall amps which I'm sure belonged to Ten Years after. I do remember I wanna Be Your Dog, that song always stuck in my mind, they probably played it on the radio here also.
You gotta remember and I'm sure your father has also told you this, this was 1969 and The Boston Teaparty where I saw them was a big hippy place, the people wanted to jump around, dance and party and smoke their brains out, etc. The Stooges of course were not like this at all, they were brooding and relentless in their music and presentation and were not about love, peace etc. The audience really hated them to tell you the truth, didn't understand them at all and couldn't wait until they were done. I on the other hand was a 16 year old kid with an open mind. I knew they were not your run of the mill everyday band as no one played like that then, i had never heard anything like that before. So I liked them, thought they were cool, strange but cool. There was only faint applause even when they were done. Dave Alexander threw his Jazz bass over his wall of amps and the audience kind of booed, haha! I think Iggy and his antics kind of shocked most of the people there, my friend said he couldn't believe what he was seeing. I've seen many many bands since then but this one stands out as one of my most memorable concerts. I never forgot seeing them. I'm also most proud of having seen them than any band.
I also have another friend who saw the Raw Power band in NY which is my favorite version, said they were great, he said he actually met Iggy in some bar there around 1972 and this guy is not prone to lying, said he was cool.
Hey why don't you have your father write some of his stories here, I'd like to hear them and I'm sure many other would too,
Bob
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
avatar

Number of posts : 1296
Age : 25
Location : Motor City
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here ever see The original stooges?   Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:36 pm

i'll check with him tonight and see if we can remember some other ones.. yours was great!
Back to top Go down
sickness

avatar

Number of posts : 124
Age : 28
Location : Brazil
Registration date : 2007-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here ever see The original stooges?   Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:01 am

LOL really cool man. you saw the first stooges gig in Boston, keep this memory forever in your mind =]
Back to top Go down
bobyoung



Number of posts : 24
Age : 65
Registration date : 2007-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here ever see The original stooges?   Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:45 am

sickness wrote:
LOL really cool man. you saw the first stooges gig in Boston, keep this memory forever in your mind =]

Oh yeah, it's been 38 years and I haven't forgotten it, wish I remembered more details. I've read a few accounts of it in the book Gimme danger and one of the people he interviewed said that Iggy jumped out into the audience, I don't remember that and my friend doesn't either and I'm pretty sure I would have not forgotten that, he didn't really bait the audience either like he later did, at least not overtly. His rolling around and other stuff did bait them though, but this audience was not biting, they were too cool (stoned), A bomb could have blown off and they wouldn't have moved at that point, they went nuts for Ten years After though, who to be fair were a great rocking live band. Iggy's account of it is pretty much what I remember, he said about 12 people clapped at the end which is what I remember also, said the audience was quite hostile and they were. The thing I really remember being a musician myself was the dense heavy tight sound they had, they were very good, full sounding, probably because of Ron's power chords, Dave's full bass sound and Scotties power house drumming, Dog was great, I can still hear it, wish I could remember the other stuff they played. None of the bootlegs I've heard really do justice to the way they really sounded, they were big, full, heavy and loud.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Anyone here ever see The original stooges?   Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:31 pm

I never get enough of those stories!!

These stories givin such a tremendous perspective to the performance and the music of the Stooges. And concerning to me...to all music from that time on.

The guts they had in those days is a power still buzzing around and inpiring huge amounts of people. The Stooges power of those days is an ongoing thing!!

So, we want all the stories...come on you all who have tasted the right thing from the beginning.. tell us ALL the details you know!!
Back to top Go down
sickness

avatar

Number of posts : 124
Age : 28
Location : Brazil
Registration date : 2007-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here ever see The original stooges?   Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:50 pm

bobyoung wrote:
sickness wrote:
LOL really cool man. you saw the first stooges gig in Boston, keep this memory forever in your mind =]

Oh yeah, it's been 38 years and I haven't forgotten it, wish I remembered more details. I've read a few accounts of it in the book Gimme danger and one of the people he interviewed said that Iggy jumped out into the audience, I don't remember that and my friend doesn't either and I'm pretty sure I would have not forgotten that, he didn't really bait the audience either like he later did, at least not overtly. His rolling around and other stuff did bait them though, but this audience was not biting, they were too cool (stoned), A bomb could have blown off and they wouldn't have moved at that point, they went nuts for Ten years After though, who to be fair were a great rocking live band. Iggy's account of it is pretty much what I remember, he said about 12 people clapped at the end which is what I remember also, said the audience was quite hostile and they were. The thing I really remember being a musician myself was the dense heavy tight sound they had, they were very good, full sounding, probably because of Ron's power chords, Dave's full bass sound and Scotties power house drumming, Dog was great, I can still hear it, wish I could remember the other stuff they played. None of the bootlegs I've heard really do justice to the way they really sounded, they were big, full, heavy and loud.

i got a few concerts from 70-74 and it is a lot of noise and screams, intresting for that era know, i've also read books as 'please kill me' and 'gimme danger', they have pretty good stories about the stooges, ramones, sex pistols and more. nothing as the real thing beeing there on the end of 60's and whole 70's seeing the stooges live, fell that power on stage. actually, i think they have lost a little of this =/
Back to top Go down
the5thramone37
Dog Food
avatar

Number of posts : 452
Age : 25
Registration date : 2007-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here ever see The original stooges?   Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:50 pm

does anyone have any good pictures from any of those gigs they could share?
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
avatar

Number of posts : 1296
Age : 25
Location : Motor City
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here ever see The original stooges?   Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:15 am

my dads are excellent, but he wont even let friends look at them, lol. he loves em more than anything (theres about 20 of them he took)
Back to top Go down
sickness

avatar

Number of posts : 124
Age : 28
Location : Brazil
Registration date : 2007-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here ever see The original stooges?   Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:34 am

the5thramone37 wrote:
does anyone have any good pictures from any of those gigs they could share?

yeah i do. i found Great pics from the 70's. i can upload it if someone want see them =]
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
avatar

Number of posts : 3441
Age : 29
Location : Stoogeland
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here ever see The original stooges?   Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:01 am

Yeh yeh, upload upload, one love, lol
Back to top Go down
sickness

avatar

Number of posts : 124
Age : 28
Location : Brazil
Registration date : 2007-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here ever see The original stooges?   Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:20 am

ok, i will post 2 pics from each concert, hope you like it!

1970-03 kiel stadium





1970-03 rainy daze





1971 factory, st. charles



Back to top Go down
the5thramone37
Dog Food
avatar

Number of posts : 452
Age : 25
Registration date : 2007-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here ever see The original stooges?   Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:50 am

good stuff man!
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
avatar

Number of posts : 1296
Age : 25
Location : Motor City
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here ever see The original stooges?   Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:40 am

you find all of them on the web... the links somewhere in the forum. mr. craig petty posted them i beleive Smile

cheers
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Anyone here ever see The original stooges?   Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:56 pm

sickness wrote:
i got a few concerts from 70-74 and it is a lot of noise and screams, intresting for that era know, i've also read books as 'please kill me' and 'gimme danger', they have pretty good stories about the stooges, ramones, sex pistols and more. nothing as the real thing beeing there on the end of 60's and whole 70's seeing the stooges live, fell that power on stage. actually, i think they have lost a little of this =/

Like a Star @ heaven Dzjee Sickness that's superstuff mann..thanks for posting Like a Star @ heaven
would do good also in the picture gallery thread on this forum.

Bet you have thousands to tell about what you saw and experienced, come on make it immortal: write it all down!

Is it possible to hear that 'noise' your talkin about, somehow?
Back to top Go down
sickness

avatar

Number of posts : 124
Age : 28
Location : Brazil
Registration date : 2007-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here ever see The original stooges?   Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:00 pm

JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES wrote:
you find all of them on the web... the links somewhere in the forum. mr. craig petty posted them i beleive Smile

cheers

man, just leave, stop talk about trades one time please.
Back to top Go down
sickness

avatar

Number of posts : 124
Age : 28
Location : Brazil
Registration date : 2007-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here ever see The original stooges?   Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:09 pm

ZinZin wrote:
sickness wrote:
i got a few concerts from 70-74 and it is a lot of noise and screams, intresting for that era know, i've also read books as 'please kill me' and 'gimme danger', they have pretty good stories about the stooges, ramones, sex pistols and more. nothing as the real thing beeing there on the end of 60's and whole 70's seeing the stooges live, fell that power on stage. actually, i think they have lost a little of this =/

Like a Star @ heaven Dzjee Sickness that's superstuff mann..thanks for posting Like a Star @ heaven
would do good also in the picture gallery thread on this forum.

Bet you have thousands to tell about what you saw and experienced, come on make it immortal: write it all down!

Is it possible to hear that 'noise' your talkin about, somehow?


hehehe i would, but i'm not so old as 42 years =]. and i'm from brazil. never seen iggy live, it's a shame =/

i can upload something if someon want:

1968
(1968-??-??) Ann Arbor, Wampler's Lake

1969
(1969-1971) Live & Early Rarities

1970
(1970-07-18) Live Big 10 Music Festival, Chicago

1971
(1971-03-25) Live At Kiel Auditorium, St Louis

1972
(1972-??-??) Demos Sessions
(1972-??-??) Wild Love Sessions

1973
(1973-06-10) Live Detroit, At Palace
(1973-07-30) Live At Max's Kansas City
(1973-08-06) Live At Max's Kansas City
(1973-08-18) Live At American Theather, St. Louis Missouri
(1973-09-16) Live Los Angeles at Whiskey a Go-Go
(1973-10-06) Live at Michigan Palace
(1973-11-??) Live Latin Casino
(1973-12-31) Live Academy of Music, NYC

1974
(1974-??-??) Dick Clark Interview
(1974-01-??) Live San Fransisco, Bimbo's
(1974-02-09) Live Michigan Palace
Back to top Go down
the5thramone37
Dog Food
avatar

Number of posts : 452
Age : 25
Registration date : 2007-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here ever see The original stooges?   Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:11 pm

great list...i have alotta shows from 1977 to 1983 if anyone here wants some?
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
avatar

Number of posts : 3441
Age : 29
Location : Stoogeland
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here ever see The original stooges?   Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:14 pm

Wow, first four for me please sickness!! Lol, never heard nething from pre 1972, i have Live 1971 and Early Live Rarities, whch despite bad sound which i can ignore is mindblowing
Back to top Go down
sickness

avatar

Number of posts : 124
Age : 28
Location : Brazil
Registration date : 2007-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here ever see The original stooges?   Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:20 pm

what about (1970-07-1 Live Big 10 Music Festival, Chicago ? take a look on the set list

1. Loose
2. Down on the Street
3. 1970
4. The Shadow of your smile/Funhouse
5. L.A Blues

intresting no? ^^
Back to top Go down
the5thramone37
Dog Food
avatar

Number of posts : 452
Age : 25
Registration date : 2007-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here ever see The original stooges?   Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:22 pm

thats a real good show, recomended Smile
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Anyone here ever see The original stooges?   Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:22 pm

sickness wrote:


hehehe i would, but i'm not so old as 42 years =]. and i'm from brazil. never seen iggy live, it's a shame =/ i can upload something if someon want:

1968
(1968-??-??) Ann Arbor, Wampler's Lake

1969
(1969-1971) Live & Early Rarities

1970
(1970-07-18) Live Big 10 Music Festival, Chicago

1971
(1971-03-25) Live At Kiel Auditorium, St Louis

1972
(1972-??-??) Demos Sessions
(1972-??-??) Wild Love Sessions

1973
(1973-06-10) Live Detroit, At Palace
(1973-08-06) Live At Max's Kansas City
(1973-09-16) Live Los Angeles at Whiskey a Go-Go
(1973-10-06) Live at Michigan Palace
(1973-12-31) Live Academy of Music, NYC

1974
(1974-??-??) Dick Clark Interview
(1974-01-??) Live San Fransisco, Bimbo's
(1974-02-09) Live Michigan Palace


Wow Sickness, start with these please...if you got some spare time?
Loads of thanks already man..would be massive!

zz
Back to top Go down
sickness

avatar

Number of posts : 124
Age : 28
Location : Brazil
Registration date : 2007-08-13

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here ever see The original stooges?   Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:34 pm

someone can help, need a good place to upload some of them
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
avatar

Number of posts : 3441
Age : 29
Location : Stoogeland
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here ever see The original stooges?   Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:34 pm

I'd love to hear iggy sing shadow of your smile, the closest i came to it was on TV recently i think he crooned a bit while waiting for the glastonbury crowd to disperse, i think it was that, dunno - ig should do a croon album, or preferably a 5th STOOGES!!!! lol

so how do we get them, i dont have any bootleg things for trading, but if you wouldnt mind sharing some, even a few songs

i have

the stooges [1 and 2 CD]
funhouse [1 and 2 CD]
raw power [bowie and iggy mix]
the weirdness
skull ring
complete funhouse sessions
heavy liquid
where the faces shine
back to the noise
california bleeding
double danger
metallic KO
metallic 2XKO
open up and bleed
studio sessions
rough power
telluric chaos
sunday nights
wild love
im waiting for my man [song only]
hippodrome 1977
jesus loves the stooges
nuggets
kill city
penetration
complete raw mixes
the stooges EP
gimme danger
live 1971 & early live rarities
detroit renaissance

and a loada iggy stuff, but i spose you have everything
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Anyone here ever see The original stooges?   

Back to top Go down
 
Anyone here ever see The original stooges?
Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Similar topics
-
» THE ORIGINAL GENESIS PLAYS STUDIO 1 & TREASURE ISLE ON DUBPLATE & VINYL
» Bands with NO original members
» ORIGINAL Christmas Songs
» Newsboys - Glorious (with Tait on vocals)
» Original Mahavishnu Reunion

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Scene of the Crime. :: Stooges live 1967 - 1971-
Jump to: