Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

On par with Dylan

Go down 
+3
Nadja
Gimme some skin
homesickjameswilliamson
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Lucas

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2008-01-21

On par with Dylan - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 7:06 pm

It really surprises me that Iggy thought his carreer was at a dead end. Personally I think Beat 'm up and skull ring are amongst his best work
Back to top Go down
Rode Hard
Rich Bitch
Rode Hard

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2007-08-16

PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 7:17 pm

Scott's the smartest one of 'em all. He IS. He never blabs about private stuff. I know he's a single dad and has one daughter. And I heard the same thing that he worked in construction at some point and that he likes to fish. He was good in Behind the Music too. I nearly fell off my chair when I saw him on there AND James.

Ivan Kral says horrible things about Iggy too every chance he gets. Stuff about ugly girls came backstage once and Iggy said, "Get them outta here" and they cried. Isn't that awful? That's in "The Wild One." So Iggy isn't nice all the time either. But nobody is. Men are really mean. They are. Worse than women.
Back to top Go down
Rode Hard
Rich Bitch
Rode Hard

Number of posts : 307
Registration date : 2007-08-16

PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 7:37 pm

Lucas wrote:
It really surprises me that Iggy thought his carreer was at a dead end. Personally I think Beat 'm up and skull ring are amongst his best work

I liked Avenue B and Beat Em Up too! I went and saw shows from both those tours. Says "all songs written by I. Pop/W. Kirst" on BEU. Whitey's HOT. CB got a thanks in the linear notes of one of these CDs. She DID.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2008 7:43 pm

Lucas wrote:

well I don't know, maybe not at a dead end, but I think he was feeling kinda stuck anyway ... Skull Ring isn't that great, outside of the collaborations with the Ashetons (of course)

and yeah I knew Scott has a daughter - I even thought he had a wife! But Ron's not a family man is he?

(oh dear, just remembered this thread is meant to be about Dylan)
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 8:26 am

I think comparing Ig to Dylan is an "apples and oranges" thing. Dylan, like his style or not, is a master storyteller. His lyrics stand on their own without the music. Plus, he has at least a dozen top-rank albums.

Iggy expresses EMOTION. He doesn't tell stories...for the most part. "No Fun" is a perfect example. "Consolation Prizes" is another.

I think Iggy has been great at sabotaging his own music, leaving hardly any worthwhile albums in his post-70s wake. Sure, there are some great songs, but ALBUMS? Eh...

Just an opinion...
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
Lucas

Number of posts : 294
Registration date : 2008-01-21

PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 10:17 am

mg196 wrote:
I think Iggy has been great at sabotaging his own music, leaving hardly any worthwhile albums in his post-70s wake. Sure, there are some great songs, but ALBUMS? Eh...

Just an opinion...

I don't know of Iggy meant to, but I think that in his soloperiod (or with the stooges for that matter) no two albums are alike. I think tha only that already is a great achievement (compare it to bands like the police or U2, who seem to repeat the same trick again and again). And there is not one album that hasn't at least a few great songs on it.
But this of course is getting more off-topic with every post. Embarassed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2008 11:33 am

Yeah Lucas, I completely agree with you.
Because each album is so different, it was difficult to create a steady group of appriciaters for ALL his music.
Take the people writing on this forum....almost each one of them is appriciating a different time and type in his music. I think it's a good example of how divers and brilliant Iggy is. But also how hard it is and was for him to get a steady place with his music.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 12:00 pm

Did anybody on the forum saw the Dylan movie?
I thought it was a BAD one!
Is it really true that Iggy was inspired by Dylan?
man what a depressing stuff
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 4:02 pm

Do you mean I'm Not There? i did, i thought it was brilliant (i love dylan) but despite bias i did think it was great, yeh course iggy was inspired by dylan, everyone was and is i guess, but esp back then, amean the beatles and stones only started something different around 66/67, the beatles first proper as in beatles album was Rubber Soul, which they wrote after having met dylan, and the stones didnt do anything stones until 68 with Beggar's Banquet, by which time dylan was settling down after a motorcycle crash, but he'd done ground breaking stuff not least with his early folk stuff, but then turned it around and shocked everyone with three groundbreaking albums in the one year; Bringing It All Back Home, Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde

but as far as iggy goes, he loves bringing it all back home i read, and saw on youtube in an interview he said it was one of his top 3 albums along with a love supreme by coltrane and i think 12x5 by the stones, but he wanted to write like dylan (no1 can write like dylan) and when he realised he couldnt decided to go the opposite route and write less but mean as much, and he remembered that when he was a kid Soupy Sales would always tell the kids writing in that if they were gonna send him letters to make them less than 25 words, and he took that and used that and kept it esp for the first two stooges album, and their unrecorded work too im sure like asthma attack etc

but i thought the movie was really great
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 5:00 pm

yeah it was I'm not there!

Don't think Iggy has much of the Dylan quality though even if he was inspired by Dylan. yeah ofcoarse...Dylan had a huge influence. I like some of his brilliant songs..but his whole vibe...is not my cup of tea No
Do you know Stooges songs..directly inspired by Dylan?

picking up soupie sales words (the 25 words story)..that's typical Iggy brightness! light, smart and funny pirat
Back to top Go down
lcb

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-08-21

PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 7:04 am

I still have to hear Dylan's Newport gig and the one in England. Pissing off folkies with knowledge on how "their" music is supposed to sound?

Punk starts there, IMHO...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: On par with Dylan   On par with Dylan - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

On par with Dylan
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2