Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

a case of the blues?

Go down 
+9
mc
G, F#, E
JW82
eusebioneto
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Angusyd van Hyman
homesickjameswilliamson
Borntohula
Nadja
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

a case of the blues? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: a case of the blues?   a case of the blues? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 28, 2008 1:42 pm

yeh, of course Bo's meant to have influenced the Stooges a fair bit...I feel I SHOULD listen to his stuff but I never have
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: a case of the blues?   a case of the blues? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 6:35 pm

OK, I'm trying Hooker and Muddy Waters and Robert Johnson cheers
Back to top Go down
TED
A funhouse boy will steal your heart away
TED

Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: a case of the blues?   a case of the blues? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 6:40 pm

Can't go wrong with Robert Johnson
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: a case of the blues?   a case of the blues? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 6:44 pm

TED wrote:
Can't go wrong with Robert Johnson

yup - 'Crossroads'!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
TED
TED

PostSubject: Re: a case of the blues?   a case of the blues? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 6:45 pm

What do you think of it Nadja.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: a case of the blues?   a case of the blues? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 6:47 pm

love it!!!!!!!!!

what's with all the myth that sprang up around him, selling his soul to the devil or something??
Back to top Go down
TED
TED

PostSubject: Re: a case of the blues?   a case of the blues? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 7:04 pm

Didn't he kill his wife or something ?
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: a case of the blues?   a case of the blues? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 29, 2008 9:50 pm

did he?? didn't know about that...just vaguely heard about the legends that surround him (there's got to be reasons for those!)
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: a case of the blues?   a case of the blues? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 7:26 am

i think it was all blown out of proportion, from recollection, i think it was, guy, decent guitarist went away for awhile, learned from some other guy, came back was amazing, the hendrix of his day apparently, and people thought he had sold his soul to the devil, hearing this he spread the rumour himself with songs like hellhound on my trail and me and the devil blues, he also aparently turned his back on the crowd a lot so they couldnt see how he played - as ppl would intently watch a guitarist to see exactly what he was doin

and i think it all ended with him gettin poisoned by a guy who thoght he was after his girl, thought it probly wasnt as elaborate as a poisoning and more of a beating up or something, dunno

honeyboy edwards has spoken of him, he was a friend of johnsons, and an amazing blues player as well, been listening to him and to top it all he's still alive!! a friend of robert jonhsons (granted not as old as him at the time, something like 5 - 10 years difference) but still!
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

PostSubject: Re: a case of the blues?   a case of the blues? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 5:11 pm

I suppose it must be an old idea, selling your soul to the devil in return for amazing musical talent...it's what they also said about Italian violinist Nicolo Paganini in the 19th century!
hmmm...
Back to top Go down
Paul T

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-03-23

PostSubject: Re: a case of the blues?   a case of the blues? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 8:58 pm

I interviewed a lot of those old dudes, including Honeyboy, and another guy who worked with Johnson, about those myths.

They believed it and they didn't, As Honeyboy says, "Robert was a bullshitter'. But by playing the blues, you put yourself in danger of being picked up for vagrancy, or simply murdered, at the time when nobody bothered if another black man died.

In places like Clarksdale, you can feel the devil close, I'm not surprised they felt conscious of it.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: a case of the blues?   a case of the blues? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 10:07 pm

waow, cool info first of all, thanks paul! also, cant believe you met honeyboy!! that mustve been cool, like meeting tangible history
Back to top Go down
dorianmode

dorianmode

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-12-21

PostSubject: Re: a case of the blues?   a case of the blues? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 12:00 pm

interesting topic! like so many people I came to the Stooges through punk and never thought about the blues and those type of influences too much at first
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: a case of the blues?   a case of the blues? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

a case of the blues?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: