Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Stooges Remasters - Opinions?

Go down 
+4
seventeen
rubber legs
Borntohula
MJG196
8 posters
AuthorMessage
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2007-02-26

The Stooges Remasters - Opinions? Empty
PostSubject: The Stooges Remasters - Opinions?   The Stooges Remasters - Opinions? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2007 2:47 am

What is everyone's opinions on the remasters? The music AND the packaging. Let's hear it!
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
Borntohula

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2007-02-28

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Remasters - Opinions?   The Stooges Remasters - Opinions? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2007 11:28 am

The Stooges: The best sounding album about boredom there is.

Funhouse: The best album ever recorded with more crisp sound.

Raw Power: The most brutal sounding thing there is. I don't get it why other bands doesn't use a similar mix!
Back to top Go down
rubber legs

rubber legs

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2007-03-20

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Remasters - Opinions?   The Stooges Remasters - Opinions? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2007 4:19 pm

I like what they did with the first two and I wish that they had done the same with Raw Power, ie: a remastered version of the Bowie mix on one disc and Iggy's vanity mix on disc two. I hate the Iggy mix, I hate him slagging the Asthetons in the liner notes and I hate the fact that future generations will ONLY know the new mix, unless they care enough to hunt down the original, at which point they will probably be so used to the mediocre Iggy mix that they won't appreciate the beauty of the Bowie mix. Did I mention that I hate the new mix?
Back to top Go down
seventeen

seventeen

Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Remasters - Opinions?   The Stooges Remasters - Opinions? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2007 6:39 pm

I'm sure there will be a double CD Raw Power version down the line, it's bound to happen.

The double CDs of the first two, + the Fun House box set, are must buy. Sound is astonishing, you can trow away the early CDs of the first two.

Keep you Bowie CD mix thought, it's a collector today.

I prefer Bowie mix, I say Ig's make an interesting variation, alternate version, much better than rough power or any Bomp stuff !
Back to top Go down
http://www.seventeenrecords.com
StoogesMySpaceAdmin

StoogesMySpaceAdmin

Number of posts : 726
Registration date : 2007-03-19

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Remasters - Opinions?   The Stooges Remasters - Opinions? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2007 10:35 pm

I agree, plus the bonus tracks are icing on the cake.

You just can't go wrong with these, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/iggyandthestooges
rubber legs

rubber legs

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2007-03-20

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Remasters - Opinions?   The Stooges Remasters - Opinions? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2007 12:35 am

seventeen wrote:
I prefer Bowie mix, I say Ig's make an interesting variation, alternate version, much better than rough power or any Bomp stuff !

Like I said, if they had offered the Iggy mix as a bonus disc, that would have been fine, but to completely replace the Bowie mix with it is an abomination IMHO.
Back to top Go down
Gimme some skin

Number of posts : 349

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Remasters - Opinions?   The Stooges Remasters - Opinions? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2007 12:37 am

Might be just me but I still hope a really loud version of Raw Power will come out one glorious day.
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Remasters - Opinions?   The Stooges Remasters - Opinions? Icon_minitimeFri Mar 23, 2007 5:51 am

I gave away my Bowie mix before I REALLY listened to the remaster. Now I have to go get it again. I have yet to grab the first two remasters, tho.
Back to top Go down
Katy

Number of posts : 33

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Remasters - Opinions?   The Stooges Remasters - Opinions? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 26, 2007 4:29 am

I LOVE Iggy's ear-bleedy Raw Power remix.

Probably my favourite record ever. Certainly the best reissue/remaster/remix I've ever heard.

(And it's hilarious. Every time I put it on after I've been listening to a "normal" mixed record, I forget how loud it is, the way it roars out of the speakers. I have to quickly turn the volume down a couple of notches to avoid shattering all the windows in my house and killing any nearby birds. It's HARSH... but I love it. Wink )
Back to top Go down
Paul T

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-03-23

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Remasters - Opinions?   The Stooges Remasters - Opinions? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2007 12:03 pm

I love it, but you know what, I would still like a decent remaster based on the Bowie mix. Iggy's remix is 90s rock, the Bowie one was glammy and left-field - and it was that version that pretty much launched UK punk. I like the bits of background vocals and other noises you can just hear on the Bowie mix, or on the WABX 'ROugh Power' version.

There's a guy called Michael Tipton who taped the WABX show, I interviewed him but then lost touch. I would dearly love to find him again...

[url]wwww.trynka.com[/url]
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Remasters - Opinions?   The Stooges Remasters - Opinions? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2007 8:55 pm

I think the most disappointing thing about the Raw Power remix is that the title track is almost unlistenable to me. The piano is WAY out front and the constant ting-ting-ting-ting-ting-ting-ting...drives me nuts. I find that it really distracts me from the guitars.
Back to top Go down
seventeen

seventeen

Number of posts : 162

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Remasters - Opinions?   The Stooges Remasters - Opinions? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2007 9:37 am

It's a Limp Biscuit remix, not a real Stooges mix. Give the tapes to Albini hahaha
Back to top Go down
http://www.seventeenrecords.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Stooges Remasters - Opinions?   The Stooges Remasters - Opinions? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Stooges Remasters - Opinions?
Page 1 of 1