Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

john cale

Go down 
+9
Rob Gallucci
zenta138
mc
homesickjameswilliamson
eusebioneto
Paul T
MJG196
adams66
Nadja
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
sway

sway

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2009-08-06

john cale - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 1:01 pm

i love we will fall. a lot of people feel as if it should have been the last track on the record, simply because it doesnt blend well w/ the rest of the album...i disagree. i think it blends perfectly. the stooges were really natural, and as well all no nature is full of suprises. i think the same think applies to we will fall, as well as the placement of the song on the album.

the stooges, all of them, were multi-faceted characters. a very mysterious lot of boys. ive always felt as if they were much more than just a brutal rock n roll act. theres really a lot there to attempt reading into...they pulled so much influence from the most unlikely of places...rock, jazz, the avant garde. i think we will fall is the perfect soundtrack to the mystery that surrounds the stooges, and quite possibly a suttle hint into the mind of dave alexander.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

john cale - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 1:09 pm

Couldn't agree with you more sway! this multi-faceted aspect is what makes this band so infinitely interesting.
And as for Dave, well it seems like 'subtle hints' is pretty much all you can get about him. I've been trying to chase up info on him, only one or two really worthwhile sources I've come across for that... and in most respects he remains as mysterious as ever. I'd still like to know what really drove him, music-wise, personality-wise...
Anyway, back to John Cale, before I digress too much...

Last edited by Nadja on Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
sway

sway

john cale - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 1:15 pm

ive never had much interest in john cale outside of his work w/ the VU. however, it do find it fascinating that the stooges worked with him. why? im not sure...probally because i view JC as being this celebrated underground/largely influential iconic figure....almost at a celebrity level....and i dont get that out of the stooges, w/ an exception of iggy.

its almost like hearing about one of my friends doing an album w/ lee ranaldo or something....just strange + fun.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

john cale - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 1:18 pm

how well known was Cale when he worked with the stooges?
Also why did he want to work with them?
I genuinely don't know much about him
Back to top Go down
sway

sway

john cale - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 1:28 pm

eh...he was fairly well known in the avant garde/art world. he hung around andy warhol (who managed the velvet underground for a while)..so he certainly had created somewhat of a name for himself...he certainly wasnt on the same level as like steve albini or whatever, but there were indeed many people that knew of the guy.

he's def. far more well known for his work with the VU than being someone that worked w/ the stooges.

i dont know.

i recomend you check out the velvet underground if ya havent already. the velvet underground + nico is a graet place to start. the song "venus in furs" would be (i think) a great introduction into the sort of stuff they were doing.

the VU, with out a doubt, were/are just as important/influential as the stooges.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

john cale - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 1:33 pm

yes, I do know about the VU of course. Although I'll admit the only albums I know really well are the first and 'White Light/White Heat'. I just meant about Cale himself, just how well-known a figure was he at that time. I suppose he just got with the stooges because they were different too, like the VU, you couldn't pigeonhole 'em.
Back to top Go down
sway

sway

john cale - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 1:35 pm

id say that had something to do with it. if i remember correctly, i believe danny fields was responsible for teaming the stooges w/ cale....im sure he was chosen partially because he was known to be an individual that emvraced "weird music". of course, im only speculating...but this would certainly be my best guess.
Back to top Go down
sway

sway

john cale - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 1:38 pm

*embraced. this place is bad about getting all weird when i try and edit typos.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

john cale - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 1:44 pm

Yeah, weird, experimental, that sort of thing the stooges were seen as being I suppose...insofar as they had to have a category!
I always remember John Sinclair's remark on first hearing and seeing them, that they were more like North African music than rock...that droning, trancelike quality. Personally that's what I'll always love best about them, and it's most abundantly evident on the first album. Which, conveniently, brings me straight back to Cale...
Back to top Go down
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2009-06-02

john cale - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 11:34 pm

Cale has never said that much in depth but has always been kind to the Stooges, saying how professional they were at that time and how easy they were to produce. There is a story Cale was wearing a "batman" cloak whilst producing. I have a few dozen unpublished photos of Cale at the time he was working with the Stooges and yes he is wearing such a cloak! Fast approaching 70 Cale still plays viola live and plays loud. He is currently representing Wales at the Venice Biennale with a multi-screen film called "Darker Days"
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

john cale - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 11:39 pm

thanks for that info gazathebop
I did read an interview with him once but for some reason the only thing I can remember is him talking about his daughter finding some sort of Welsh commune in NY!
Back to top Go down
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2007-02-26

john cale - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 6:00 am

sway wrote:
id say that had something to do with it. if i remember correctly, i believe danny fields was responsible for teaming the stooges w/ cale....im sure he was chosen partially because he was known to be an individual that emvraced "weird music". of course, im only speculating...but this would certainly be my best guess.

Danny was part of Warhol's Factory crowd, so he was very aware of who Cale was and likely relayed that to the record company (Elektra).

Danny has always been very open about...well...everything concerning his life and career. This info has to be out there (in detail) somewhere!
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
gazatthebop

gazatthebop

Number of posts : 417
Registration date : 2009-06-02

john cale - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 1:06 pm

Nadja wrote:
thanks for that info gazathebop
I did read an interview with him once but for some reason the only thing I can remember is him talking about his daughter finding some sort of Welsh commune in NY!

There's a nice pic of Cale with Iggy from 1994 in his autobiography. Back in 1984 Cale's life was a mess with drugs, he toured Europe with the final date in the UK. I went to see him in Europe thinking he would not live long enough to make the uk date.
His daughter Eden was born in 85 Cale wanted to watch her grow up so cleaned up his act fast. Funny thing around that time the Happy Mondays wanted Cale to produce their 1st album knowing he would have the best drugs to consume. Trouble was Cale was already clean, living off a diet of polo mints and tangerines! He now plays squash and his daughter is into band management in NYC.
Anyone got the new Stooges boxset yet?!
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

john cale - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 2:22 pm

haha - tangerines and polo mints..that's a new one
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

john cale - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: john cale   john cale - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

john cale
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3