Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news!

Go down 
+3
Lee de Parade
cb
Paul T
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Paul T

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-03-23

Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news! Empty
PostSubject: Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news!   Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2008 8:29 pm

Hi, with apologies for the shameless plug.

Open Up and Bleed, the Iggy biography, is out in paperback this month. There are author signings and appearances in London on April 19, Ann Arbor on the 28th, and Detroit on the 30th. Please click here for more info!

http://www.trynka.net/Site/Open_Up_Blog/F304C5F0-9144-4ACB-81E1-1A664ADBF3EA.html

DO take a look around the site while you're there, there's a huge amount of info (and pics) for Iggy and Stooges buffs. And please turn up for any of the appearances if you can, all your Iggy questions will be answered (I hope...).

Cheers folks,

Paul Trynka
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news!   Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 1:20 pm

quote:"Almost as exciting as a naked Iggy, is the prospect of in-person appearances (fully clothed) by Paul Trynka in London."

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Paul T

PostSubject: Re: Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news!   Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 5:29 pm

Hey, everyone in Detroit! Last chance to catch the 'show' is tonight!

IN fact, you will get to see a topless author. Honest!

We had a fantastic time in AA, the library was full of people who'd seen the Stooges first time around, as well as young kids who've just discovered them. Thanks to everyone who turned up...
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news!   Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news! Icon_minitimeTue May 13, 2008 6:06 pm

Hey Paul and all,

They have the Dave Fanning interview from 3/20/07 up here:
http://www.rte.ie/arts/2007/0320/drivetimewithdave.html

Cathy
http://iggypop.org
Back to top Go down
http://iggypop.org, http://straightjameswilliamson.com

PostSubject: Re: Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news!   Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news! Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 12:52 am

Great interview Paul!
fair and valuable telling the core about Iggy in a few words.
New info for me too..when Iggy talks about David Bowie and stuff.
thnx man!
and Cathy!
Back to top Go down
Paul T

PostSubject: Re: Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news!   Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news! Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 1:32 pm

THanks, guys. I cant remember that interview very well, but Dave Fanning was great and well informed, IIRC, which ain't always the case. And thanks for the head-up, Cathy, I'll add a link on my blog, and I'll link to your site, too, as I noticed it wasn't on there on some reason. If you get a chance to post a link to my site that would be very cool.

When I was doing talks in Ann Arbor and Detroit I realised I needed a cheap laugh. SO I posted a topless photo of the author, a couple (or perhaps slightly more) years ago. Whaddyareckon???!!??

Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news! Pt
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news!   Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news! Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 11:37 pm

'whatyareckon' is too much slang for me Paul Question

cool body + studs...though
what was yr bands name?
Back to top Go down
cb

cb

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2007-03-06

PostSubject: Re: Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news!   Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news! Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2008 11:43 pm

Paul,

You should have posted that picture BEORE the book signings;)

Cathy
Back to top Go down
http://iggypop.org, http://straightjameswilliamson.com
Lee de Parade

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news!   Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news! Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 12:09 am

Awesome!

What was the name of your band?

Oh, and I finished reading Open Up & Bleed tuesday and reading it now for the second time. It's great!

My first Iggy album was a crummy cassette recording of Zombie Birdhouse. I was 11 or 12 and it is still a big fave here at Lee Mansion! The voodoo-priest passage in the book is as hilarious as downright scary. Apocalypse Now scary.
Back to top Go down
Paul T

PostSubject: Re: Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news!   Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news! Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 7:49 pm

LOL, the pic is only there for a giggle. PLease keep it to yourself and don't tell anyone. (It is better than my later band photos from the 80s, which feuature something suspicioulsy reminiscent of a mullet). I was 16 and it was my first band, called Mental Block.

Funnily enough, I found an old diary which revealed I was in weekly contact with Leee Childers, who kept promising us a support slot with the Heartbreakers, which never materialised. But he was always happy to chat to me on the phone, I wonder why??

Last edited by Paul T on Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
TED
A funhouse boy will steal your heart away
TED

Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2007-06-24

PostSubject: Re: Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news!   Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news! Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 7:59 pm

Wasn't Leee involved with Wayne County too
Back to top Go down
Lee de Parade

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news!   Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news! Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 8:29 pm

Paul T wrote:
LOL, the pic is only there for a giggle. PLease keep it to yourself and don't tell anyone. (It is better than my later band photos from the 80s, which feuature something suspicioulsy reminiscent of a mullet). I was 16 and it was my first band, called Mental Block.

Ah, your secret is safe with me.

Mental Block - sounds like '79 punk with an arty edge. Did you record anything?
Back to top Go down
Loose1969
Free & Freaky
Loose1969

Number of posts : 1565
Registration date : 2007-07-18

PostSubject: Re: Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news!   Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news! Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 9:00 pm

Paul T wrote:
THanks, guys. I cant remember that interview very well, but Dave Fanning was great and well informed, IIRC, which ain't always the case. And thanks for the head-up, Cathy, I'll add a link on my blog, and I'll link to your site, too, as I noticed it wasn't on there on some reason. If you get a chance to post a link to my site that would be very cool.

When I was doing talks in Ann Arbor and Detroit I realised I needed a cheap laugh. SO I posted a topless photo of the author, a couple (or perhaps slightly more) years ago. Whaddyareckon???!!??

Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news! Pt

Iggy Paul? Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/crazyheartedlover
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news!   Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news! Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2008 9:11 pm

that pic has a hint of Captain Sensible about it too!
Back to top Go down
Paul T

PostSubject: Re: Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news!   Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news! Icon_minitimeSat May 17, 2008 12:45 am

Lee de Parade wrote:

Ah, your secret is safe with me.

Mental Block - sounds like '79 punk with an arty edge. Did you record anything?
No way, our set was all covers of tunes by the Ramones, New York Dolls and You Know Who....

LAter on, my proper band released proper records. But you never forget your first, crap, band...
Back to top Go down
Paul T

PostSubject: Re: Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news!   Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 8:43 pm

Update: photos of The Michigan Palace - scene of the Stooges' last stand, where Metallic KO was recorded - and the Grande ballroom today.

They're both sadly neglected.

http://www.trynka.net/Site/Open_Up_Blog/F0AE8381-6947-4D58-B39E-237C1B097BC5.html

Click the main photo to find more.

I;ve noticed one broken link, which I'll fix later tonight. It shows the Michigan Palace - Michigan Theater as was - in its heyday. It's interesting to see pioneers of the electric guitar, like Charlie Christian, probably played there too...

http://info.detnews.com/redesign/history/story/historytemplate.cfm?id=30
Back to top Go down
Angusyd van Hyman

Angusyd van Hyman

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2008-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news!   Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 10:35 pm

Sad to see the Palace and the Grande now. Is all the area like this ?
Reminds me of that sentence in Open Up And Bleed - "something that was probably worth of respect being degraded"... There are some places like this where I live, but it's nothing compared to that.
Really a shame.
Back to top Go down
Paul T

PostSubject: Re: Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news!   Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news! Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 10:42 pm

Angusyd van Hyman wrote:
Sad to see the Palace and the Grande now. Is all the area like this ?
Yes, it's all absolutely like that. The main street through the city - Woodward - has only its grand buildings left; alongside them, and behind them, nearly everything is bulldozed. There's a huddle of beautiful, grand buildings like the Detroit Insitute of Arts (which has an amazing collection) or the Library, and some lovely restored victorian buildings on Ferry Street, then a few blocks down... nothing. Just the grand buildings, and churches, left, while some other impossibly grandiose edifices like the McGregor Public Library, all Greek pillars and niches, are totally derelict.

What's most concerning is that a few of the restaurants that had opened in the restored area around Ferry Street, where I stayed when I was researching the book, have now closed down again.

Essentially, the city itself seems to have no money. There has been a complete white flight from the city to the suburbs. I'd love to hear from any Detroiters who still live in the city, to get their take.

PS - it's wonderful to have someone quote from that book, thanks!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news!   Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Open Up & Bleed book sigings, and other news!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: