Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

"The Stooges" 1st album

Go down 
+5
Paul T
Nadja
world's forgotten boy
adams66
Chazz Avery
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Chazz Avery

Chazz Avery

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-04-07

"The Stooges" 1st album Empty
PostSubject: "The Stooges" 1st album   "The Stooges" 1st album Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 7:26 am

I'm friends with Jeff Gold who is listed as "tape researcher" on the "The Stooges" 2CD reissue.
I asked him what he found. This was his reply...

"I actually found (in Danny Field's storage locker) a tape of the complete 1st LP as mixed by John Cale, as well as an outtake, "Asthma Attack" and some other alternate versions. I sold most of this to Rhino, who was going to release the "Cale" version, but of course felt it better advised to split all the stuff up. I didn't have anything but that from The Stooges, but hey, it was a pretty significant find. I'm trying to do something with "Asthma Attack.""

Thought ya might find it interesting.
Back to top Go down
http://beatlesource.com/chazz
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges" 1st album   "The Stooges" 1st album Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 8:33 am

Very interesting. I don't think that anyone has ever heard a recording of "Asthma Attack" before. It'd be great if this could be released - did Rhino not want it?
Personally, I'd have preferred the whole Cale mix all together, in order on the second disc of the reissue, with the other tracks as bonuses. But I guess we should be happy that it's out at all.
Kepp us posted with any developments, Chazz.
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
world's forgotten boy

world's forgotten boy

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2008-04-12

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges" 1st album   "The Stooges" 1st album Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 4:28 pm

would be fun to hear that song! Smile
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges" 1st album   "The Stooges" 1st album Icon_minitimeTue Apr 29, 2008 9:52 pm

yes, I'd like to hear it too. Anything from that period!

what other early songs are there that didn't get recorded? wasn't there one called 'Goodbye Bozos', something like that? Question
Back to top Go down
Paul T

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-03-23

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges" 1st album   "The Stooges" 1st album Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 12:07 am

I don't think they recorded Goodbye Bozos... but then, none of them remembered recording Asthma Attack either. The Dance Of Romance, their other early song, became incorporated into Anne.

Why Rhino didn't include it is a mystery, the general story is that it was a simple fuck-up.

I have heard it, but only the once... it was great, it sounded like the Stooges, what can I say?
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges" 1st album   "The Stooges" 1st album Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 1:32 am

Paul T, was it wild sounding ??

CHAZZ - can you get hold of that track ? PLEASE ?

lets find a way man... i HAVE to hear it .... its a MUST

Cheers !
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges" 1st album   "The Stooges" 1st album Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 3:40 pm

Wow, asthma attack! that wud be great, cant believe that, still proves theres yet more stooges out there

are rhino guna release it in anopther product, maybe rerelease the album but ltd ed john cale version? w/ asthma attack as a bonus, thast wud be sweet

thanks for the news chazz

HJW
Back to top Go down
world's forgotten boy

world's forgotten boy

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2008-04-12

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges" 1st album   "The Stooges" 1st album Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 4:07 pm

Ok, I have to hear this song... maybe it was to strange to be included on the album?
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges" 1st album   "The Stooges" 1st album Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 11:51 pm

Paul T wrote:
The Dance Of Romance, their other early song, became incorporated into Anne.

I'm pretty sure it was also called "I'm Sick".

I'd love to hear Asthma Attack. On a similar note is "What's You Gonna Do?" really from 1968?
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges" 1st album   "The Stooges" 1st album Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 11:54 pm

no im sicks a different song altogether, paul called it the 'holy grail of stooges' bootlegs or finds i think it was in OU&B, and the dance of romance was incorporated into anne, the rerelease has it as anne w/dance of romance i think

HJW
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges" 1st album   "The Stooges" 1st album Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 12:12 am

I think I'm Sick and Asthma Attack are one and the same probably just called different things on different nights - I heard Jeff Gold had a copy of I'm Sick. I'd be very happy to be wrong though and maybe we'll get I'm Sick and Asthma Attack as bonus tracks on Unganos!
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges" 1st album   "The Stooges" 1st album Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 12:23 am

Interesting. I've also heard of songs called "Way Down In Egypt" and (the family sing-a-long) "Searching For Head". Ron Asheton mentioned them in an interveiw. Supposedly they were made around 1970. And is there a better version of Fresh Rag than the 1971 bootleg?
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges" 1st album   "The Stooges" 1st album Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 12:30 am

oh rite sorry, i thought you said dance of romance was the same as im sick, yeh i think asthma attack and im sick are probly the same, tho as you say different nights different names, plus iggy was probly so stoned off his ass nethin ron played would be 'im sick' one nite and the next the same riff worked well with ''asthma attack'' lol

i wish all this stuff was avaliable, or circulating, i really dont get this whole closested bootleggy traders thing, seems pervy gettin off witholding from other fans, just seems odd

HJW
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges" 1st album   "The Stooges" 1st album Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 12:32 am

G, F#, E wrote:
Interesting. I've also heard of songs called "Way Down In Egypt" and (the family sing-a-long) "Searching For Head". ?

what tantalizing titles these all are
can't wait to actually hear the whole lot (one of these days! perhaps!!)
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges" 1st album   "The Stooges" 1st album Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 12:36 am

It looks like in the mean time we'll need to stick with the Cale mixes and "What's You Gonna Do?" for early Stooges obscurities. Hopefully one day there will be a Heavy Liquid like box set with pre-1972 Stooges recordings.
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges" 1st album   "The Stooges" 1st album Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 1:04 am

It's not really "closested bootleggy traders" there's probably only one or two copies in existence of these tracks. I'd imagine they will get released sometime when the right deal is on the table to recoup the money paid for them. Unfortunately in this era of digital downloads there'll never be the 100,000 copies sold like Metallic KO to really make any profit from a cd release of stuff like this, so it's probably down to the desire of the owner to see it happen.

Way Down in Egypt may be on the Ungano's 70 tape we're all waiting for - Steve Mackay said he heard it had been recorded. It's probably more of a free jazz freakout than a track from what I've read.

Oh and there are several other 1971 tapes out there, most likely with better versions of fresh rag and other tracks we've only heard on the Kiel/Factory set (apart from Paul - lucky bugger!) - these are what I'd really,really like to hear and am doing my best to see they someday see the light of day.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges" 1st album   "The Stooges" 1st album Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 1:09 am

Spose you're right MC, and alot of money can be paid for bootlegs esp if theyre as coveted as early stooges material, so i guess i'd probly hold out for a good deal if i swapped my house for im sick lol

Quote :
Hopefully one day there will be a Heavy Liquid like box set with pre-1972 Stooges recordings.

How fuckin amazin would that be, with unseen photos or something!! Wow that would be amazing, esp a nice big heavy liquid style box, wow, another 'dream' to be added to the pile!

HJW
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges" 1st album   "The Stooges" 1st album Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 1:27 am

I've been trying to think how much would I offer for a good quality unreleased stooges tape from 1969, 1970, 1971 with sole rights to release it.

I have no connection to the record industry so this is pure speculation:

I'm guessing you might be able to sell about 2000 CD copies at about £8 or $16, so making £16,000 gross. Iggy and the boys / lawyers / record companies would maybe take 50%. Pressing costs might be a few thousand, other contingency costs another few thousand. Thus leaving about £3000/£4000 max to buy the tape just to break even.

Probably quite a lot of hard work for little or no profit.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges" 1st album   "The Stooges" 1st album Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 1:34 am

wow yeh, see what you mean, does sound hard, theres probly ppl sitting on goldmines, wanting to release them but not being able to because they dont have the connexions or knowhow to get it out there
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "The Stooges" 1st album   "The Stooges" 1st album Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"The Stooges" 1st album
Page 1 of 1