Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rons politics

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
dan b

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Rons politics Empty
PostSubject: Rons politics   Rons politics Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 6:41 pm

Hope this isnt too controversial a subject, but i wonder if anyone here had any thoughts on Rons political views, by which i guess i mean his apparent interest in all things nazi!

Ron has always been my favourite Stooge and has always come across as a jolly nice chap. As a bit of a bleeding heart liberal i always put down his love of the uniforms as purely a fashion thing (lets face it, if nothing else some of the outfits looked good!). However, having read Paul T's book there is also mention of an SS General being Rons 'hero', plus all his books about concentration camps etc.

Do we think Ron really has dodgy far right views, or is his interest more historical/aesthetic?
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Rons politics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rons politics   Rons politics Icon_minitimeSun May 04, 2008 11:51 pm

Definitely historical/aesthetic!
Always interesting to discuss this,
the genesis of it was likely his dad's influence, who wanted him to go into the military and all, then his dad died, during his formative years and all, but I guess he couldn't altogether shake that influence, maybe ended up taking it to warped extremes...!
But no I really can't believe it's anything sinister, more just quirky and all, he was always the 'weird guy' as he himself has testified, and stuff like that about the SS general does appear disconcerting, but generally speaking he does indeed come across as a 'jolly nice chap', easily one of THE nicest in the whole music biz, and also with this sense of humility (which is amazing given his talent)
I think he is just interested in military history... and continues to be so, he's always remarking on it...
I would be VERY surprised if he actually did ever subscribe to any sort of unsavoury ideology or political views!
on the contrary I always get a real sense of individualism from him, he just does what he does, he just has his own interests..things as diverse as Nazi uniforms and sitar music...
One thing I would really be interested to know, tho - when he wore that gear on stage, how far he did so in a conscious attempt to get some sort of reaction? WAS there ever much reaction?
Back to top Go down

Rons politics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rons politics   Rons politics Icon_minitimeTue May 06, 2008 10:15 pm

have my thought's on Ron's nazi and political interests
if his views are historical/aesthetic
it was def. not smart to my opinion
that he chose to wear it in a gig (or few)
that it came into the media
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

Rons politics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rons politics   Rons politics Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 12:20 am

I've always thought Ron did it for shock value. While Iggy's slicing himself open Ron wears a swastica. You can just imagine the audiences' reaction!
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

Rons politics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rons politics   Rons politics Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 12:27 am

I just wonder, becaue I wasn't there in that time and place ... but far as I know they never caused that much outrage! Not even that much interest, really...but of course, that's only as far as I know...
I just try to compare it to the later punk scene and all...

Last edited by Nadja on Wed May 07, 2008 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

Rons politics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rons politics   Rons politics Icon_minitimeWed May 07, 2008 12:31 am

Yes I agree. Not anywhere close to the likes of the Sex Pistols. However in the underground music scene I believe the Stooges were seen as infamous legends. But I think audiences would have been even more shocked by The Stooges as they didn't know what to expect.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rons politics Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rons politics   Rons politics Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rons politics
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: