Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Metallic KO's version of 'Open Up & Bleed'

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Chemmy

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2008-06-10

Metallic KO's version of 'Open Up & Bleed' Empty
PostSubject: Metallic KO's version of 'Open Up & Bleed'   Metallic KO's version of 'Open Up & Bleed' Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 9:10 pm

on the second disc of the metallic 2xko cd, the live show from '73 'open up & bleed' fades out at four minutes.... i was just wondering if anyone knew why? were the tapes buggered or what? most other live versions go on for like ten minutes and it just frustrates me every time i hear this version fading out.
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2008-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Metallic KO's version of 'Open Up & Bleed'   Metallic KO's version of 'Open Up & Bleed' Icon_minitimeTue Jun 10, 2008 9:51 pm

Yeah, I'm also quite disappointed by the fact it lasts only 4 minutes! Because 'Open Up and Bleed' sounded especially great, performed live. Even if it lasted almost 20 minutes Smile Could be possible the tapes were buggered or something..the same thing occured with Stooges' only live version of Johanna..that is on 'California Bleeding' cd..it's presented only in half..
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tosterhead/music
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Metallic KO's version of 'Open Up & Bleed'   Metallic KO's version of 'Open Up & Bleed' Icon_minitimeWed Jun 11, 2008 12:47 am

I think they quite often ended their shows at this time with Open Up and Bleed - so maybe the tape ran out or got buggered as you say.
Back to top Go down
jpstooges

jpstooges

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2009-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Metallic KO's version of 'Open Up & Bleed'   Metallic KO's version of 'Open Up & Bleed' Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 8:44 pm

Not only it fades out, but it's also edited, you can clearly hear there's a cut after "my heart is broken". There's a sligthy longer version (well, just a tiny bit longer) on a 1978 French compilation "La Creme De Skydog". No cut, Iggy final words being "my eyes are…"
You can hear the last 45 seconds of this "alternate ending" here:
http://rapidshare.com/files/361604963/_Open_Up___Bleed__sample_.mp3
The mess you hear at the very end of the song is supposed to be the sound a car crash. Marc Zermati, who ran Skydog, thought it was a good idea after reading Billy Altman Metallic KO review in Creem: "After side two, you wanna get into a car and plow down the highway at 90 mph and wrap yourself around a telephone pole. Because you've heard it and there is no coming back".
Back to top Go down
StoogesFan

Number of posts : 109
Registration date : 2009-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Metallic KO's version of 'Open Up & Bleed'   Metallic KO's version of 'Open Up & Bleed' Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 12:13 am

The only person who can answer this for certain is Michael Tipton who owns the original tape. My guess is that the tape simply ran out as the original ending "my eyes are..." cuts off too abruptly. However, the tape used by Marc Zermati was only a cassette copy, so it is possible that more of this track does exist. I hope so, as it is my favourite version.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Metallic KO's version of 'Open Up & Bleed'   Metallic KO's version of 'Open Up & Bleed' Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metallic KO's version of 'Open Up & Bleed'
Page 1 of 1