Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Best Raw Power era bootleg?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Funhouse

Funhouse

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-02-01

Best Raw Power era bootleg? Empty
PostSubject: Best Raw Power era bootleg?   Best Raw Power era bootleg? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 6:01 pm

Can anybody illuminate me as to the best bootleg from the James Williamson era - performance and quality-wise?

I've got Metallic KO, of course Wink, and some of the Bomp releases but am wondering whether I'm missing something spectacular.

Any help greatly appreciated
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Best Raw Power era bootleg?   Best Raw Power era bootleg? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 6:05 pm

California Bleeding is my favorite with JW.
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Best Raw Power era bootleg?   Best Raw Power era bootleg? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 6:46 pm

My favourite complete concert is from the Whisky A Go Go in September 1973. There are various recordings from various Whisky gigs but Revenge issued a whole show back in the late 1980s. It's available on various cds now. The long version (13 mins) of "Open Up And Bleed" is fantastic and there's also a length blast through "She Creatures of The Hollywood Hills". The rest of the set is the standard mid 1973 Stooges set, but this recording has the benefit of being (after Metallic KO of course) arguably the best sounding JW era live recording.

The Max's shows from July / August 1973 are good fun but the sound quality isn't great.

We do have the Atlanta recording on the cards - no less an authority than Scott Asheton says this one sounds pretty good. So that should be something to look forward to.

Cheers,

Richard
Back to top Go down
Funhouse

Funhouse

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Best Raw Power era bootleg?   Best Raw Power era bootleg? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 6:48 pm

Thanks for that; wasn't California Bleeding recorded at the Whisky? Is it the same Sep 1973 shows?
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Best Raw Power era bootleg?   Best Raw Power era bootleg? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 7:35 pm

Most of the stuff on California Bleeding is from the Whisky but it's from different nights than the Revenge live at the Whisky cd - which would be my second favorite. The sound quality's not quite so good on the revenge cd but I have to agree with Richard that the performance of Open up and Bleed is the best available and She Creatures is awesome.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Best Raw Power era bootleg?   Best Raw Power era bootleg? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 11, 2008 6:54 pm

are those 12/13 minute versions of open up and she creatures those ones on ''she creaturesof the hollywood hills" disc 5 i think of inght of destruction?

cos they sound amazing, excellent quality, i;d recommend NOD to anyone, brilliant versions of tracks, and an excellent version of whats you gunna do
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Raw Power era bootleg?   Best Raw Power era bootleg? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Raw Power era bootleg?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: