Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording

Go down 
+10
JW82
sheddy
adams66
Nadja
soldier
neven
mc
homesickjameswilliamson
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
pernil
14 posters
AuthorMessage
pernil

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-09-03

Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording Empty
PostSubject: Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording   Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 7:38 pm

Does anyone know anything about this? Something Gerard Malanga taped? Per

1970/71 concert
1) Instrumental (4:45)
Comments: This track is listed as “Untitled” by Iggy Pop on the CD release Up From The Archives by Gerard Malanga. The song is copyrighted to Iggy Pop (1999). However, despite the artist and copyright credit, this song is not from any of Iggy’s (solo) tours. Rather, it sounds like the Stooges, circa 1971, with two guitars clearly audible. The sound quality is poor, however, making it fairly difficult to accurately date the track. Still, assuming the track was taped by Malanga, it seems likely that it originates from one of the Stooges’ New York shows, possibly Electric Circus, 14 or 15 May 1971. Malanga has not responded to queries regarding the source of the recording.
The song starts off with a riff that recalls “TV Eye,” but it develops into a chord-based high-energy rocker. One passage features a descending chord sequence that brings to mind “Search And Destroy.” There are no vocals. The track is not the same as any of the ones played at the Factory (St. Charles).
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording   Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 7:42 pm

I've heard... but it dosen't sound like stooges to me.. hmmm
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording   Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 7:44 pm

could be, if its 1971 and it was tv eye to search maybe tghey were working out search or something, i dunno

never heard it

so what Cds it on, can you post it?

thanks for the information again Per!
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording   Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording Icon_minitimeThu Sep 04, 2008 9:57 pm

Just had a listen to this, great song, like you say difficult to tell if it's from 71 or much later - could be either.

Last edited by mc on Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
neven

Number of posts : 541
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording   Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 4:49 pm

pernil wrote:
Does anyone know anything about this? Something Gerard Malanga taped? Per

1970/71 concert
1) Instrumental (4:45)
Comments: This track is listed as “Untitled” by Iggy Pop on the CD release Up From The Archives by Gerard Malanga. The song is copyrighted to Iggy Pop (1999). However, despite the artist and copyright credit, this song is not from any of Iggy’s (solo) tours. Rather, it sounds like the Stooges, circa 1971, with two guitars clearly audible. The sound quality is poor, however, making it fairly difficult to accurately date the track. Still, assuming the track was taped by Malanga, it seems likely that it originates from one of the Stooges’ New York shows, possibly Electric Circus, 14 or 15 May 1971. Malanga has not responded to queries regarding the source of the recording.
The song starts off with a riff that recalls “TV Eye,” but it develops into a chord-based high-energy rocker. One passage features a descending chord sequence that brings to mind “Search And Destroy.” There are no vocals. The track is not the same as any of the ones played at the Factory (St. Charles).
I HAVE THIS CD BUT ALWAYS THOUGHT IT WAS LATE NINETEES RECORDIND
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording   Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 5:20 pm

What's it say in the liner notes about the Iggy track?

I read two different things on the web. One saying it was recent Iggy in original Stooges style, the other that it was unreleased from 1971.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording   Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording Icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2008 2:57 pm

Great jam noise! sound is very very Stooges...definitely!
doubt if these really are the Stooges.

a few remarkable things to me;
- the pace is not so much Stooges like..and if..than maybe late Stooges stuff
- so much hi-hat > if it's Scotty he must've been on a speed trip..bit lost in the pace of the jam.
- the double guitar thing > 'r sounding too good to be true .. like having a great time 'talking guitars' ..don't think James and Ron would be able to sound like that together
- not really 1 leading guitar..which is weird for James

...this is very frustrating!
please...can anybody ASK Scotty or Ron if they recognize it???

Last edited by ZinZin on Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording   Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 1:27 pm

Here's the track:
http://rapidshare.com/files/147662590/Iggy__Stooges__-_untitled_1971__Malanga_Archive_.mp3

What do people think Stooges 1971 (It sounds closest to Ron's Jam to my ears) or a more recent Iggy composition? If it is recent I wish he'd do more of this.
Back to top Go down
soldier

Number of posts : 512
Registration date : 2007-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording   Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 1:44 pm

for me ,it's not a stooges's tracks
maybe not a iggy pop's track

scott and ron don t play like that and the sound it's too clean....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording   Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 4:18 pm

mc wrote:
What do people think Stooges 1971 (It sounds closest to Ron's Jam to my ears) or a more recent Iggy composition? If it is recent I wish he'd do more of this.
The more I hear it and check some history ..I'm getting convinced it's not the Stooges!
And agree with Soldier the sound's is not really Stooges and too clean for '71 stuff. Would be so cool if we're not right...and this WERE the Stooges..maybe with Recca or Zeke on bass...woaaaaa.

Don't exactly understand what you mean with a more recent 'Iggy composition'...do you think Iggy made the music, took a guitar to jam with some guys and set up this riff ???? Iggy was mostly working with his guitar man who always came with the basic composition/riff..the question is who... if it would have been with James than there definitely would be standing an 'Iggy/James composition' hahaha (+ James would remember it I guess).
Further on..it doesn't sound at all from the Bowie period

this up tempo sound....maybe very maybe it could've been from the '81 period..with Carlos Alomar, Gary Valentine or Rob Duprey (Mike Page on bass and Clem Burke)... slammin something together Very Happy that's the most recent i would give it.
Can't imagine what Iggy's influence could've been..except from that Iggy could've asked these guys to copy a Stooges sound. but what could've been Gerard Malanga's involvement in that specific period ?????

anyway..great jam!

Last edited by ZinZin on Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording   Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 5:55 pm

Found this on one page about the release:

Gerard Malanga, poet, photographer, filmmaker, performer and Andy Warhol's main assistant, superstar & and closest friend at the Factory from 1963 to 1970. Also known as a seminal photo archivist of the pop culture, Gerard Malanga edited for Sub Rosa a selection of his audio documents from the early 60's to the 90's and invited some of his friends (Iggy Pop, Thurston Moore from Sonic Youth, dj Olive) to be part of this vivid archive mixing the past with the present and the future + a special booklet with photo portraits & poems and an introduction by the artist.

CONTENTS:

IGGY POP
Raw rock'n'roll, with a ''Stooges like'' dirty touch recorded
now in the studio on a cassette deck, especially for the ''Big G''

There does seem to be a lot of speculation about the track though - even seen something saying it was recorded by the Stooges in Andy Warhol's Factory!
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording   Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 8:23 pm

thanks for posting the link mc
pretty good listen...sounded quite like James to me.
and it didn't sound 'too clean' either
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording   Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 8:42 pm

It dosent sound Ron/ James at all, and Def. not Whitey Kirst, or Eric Schermerhorn... so I don't understand, This can;t be iggy...
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording   Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 8:52 pm

certainly didn't sound like Ron. Don't know about James...
maybe I'll have to listen again.
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording   Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording Icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2008 9:19 pm

dont think its 71, only gave it a brief listen so ill listen again now, but i dont think its them, probly not even iggy, maybe mislabelled?
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording   Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 1:01 pm

Doesn't sound like the Stooges to me either. Doesn't sound like Iggy's 1990's band either so I wonder where the 1999 date came from?
It could be anyone to be honest - the quality is poor and there aren't any obvious identifiable features.
Strange isn't it?
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording   Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 1:05 pm

The 1999 date is just the date Sub Rosa issued the CD so it could be from any time before that I suppose.
Back to top Go down
sheddy

sheddy

Number of posts : 150
Registration date : 2008-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording   Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording Icon_minitimeWed Sep 24, 2008 7:06 pm

Doesn't sound like The Stooges to me.

Well, I don't reckon that's Scott on drums; certainly not Ron on guitar.

Listening to how it finished, it could've been something Williamson would play.
Really don't know about bass.

Quite liked the track tough.
Back to top Go down
JW82
Six String Terrorist
JW82

Number of posts : 666
Registration date : 2008-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording   Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 3:12 pm

Before the guitar started to mute I thought this could have been the Stooges Very Happy To me it sounded more like 90s version of Rockets From The Tombs Smile [who also covered Stooges]

adams66 wrote:
I wonder where the 1999 date came from?
Yeah the date really puzzled me too LOL
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/tosterhead/music
MJG196

MJG196

Number of posts : 719
Registration date : 2007-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording   Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording Icon_minitimeTue Dec 23, 2008 8:09 pm

If it has no lyrics and it is copyrighted to Iggy, I am going to assume this is NOT the Stooges.

Who holds the copyrights to Stooges material, both lyrics AND music?
Back to top Go down
http://myoldcrap.blogspot.com
jerrythebarman

jerrythebarman

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording   Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording Icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2009 5:40 am

Definitely not the Stooges, I'm pretty certain of that. Good call on Rocket From the Tombs, it does sound like it's from one of their reunion shows but they didn't get back together until, what, '02 or '03. Saw 'em in Vancouver '03 and that's pretty much what Cheetah and Richard Lloyd were sounding like in their heavier moments.
Back to top Go down
trailerborn

trailerborn

Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording   Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 1:20 am

Not 100%, but it sure sounds like 'em to me. Zillions of bands have tried, but none have captured the unique 'vibe' that I'm hearing here. Those drum fills sound like Scotty, the guitars like James in spots and (new Order-era) Ron in others. I'm guessing Recca on bass.

Someone should contact Malanga about this, if they haven't already. I don't see him putting out an unrelased jam by the late, great Rocket from the Tombs and crediting it to Iggy. I'm sure that friends & members of RFT would've raised a stink by now. Pete Laughner fans especially.
Back to top Go down
jerrythebarman

jerrythebarman

Number of posts : 52
Registration date : 2009-04-26

PostSubject: Re: Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording   Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 9:16 am

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that I actually thought it was RFT, just that it did sound like 'em. The main reason it doesn't sound like the Stooges to me is the chunky, downstroke-y breakdowns, if you know what I mean ? But, hey, I could be totally wrong. I agree the drums sound kinda like Scott.
Back to top Go down
Luzern

Luzern

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2009-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording   Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording Icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2009 3:35 pm

Gerard Malanga "Up From The Archives", which includes the track was first released November 12, 1999.
The Iggy track is described as "Raw rock'n'roll, with a 'Stooges-like' dirty touch recorded now [!, e.g. 1999] in the studio on a cassette deck, especially for the 'Big G' [= Gerard]".
So, I think this is exactly what it says it is: Iggy in the studio in 1999 with his 1999 band. Hal Cragin: bass, Alex Kirst: drums, Whitey Kirst: guitar, Pete Marshall: guitar. Sounds like them, too. No big mystery.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording   Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Malanga 1971 (?) Stooges recording
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: