Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

"Spiders" and other early Stooges tunes (?)

Go down 
+5
G, F#, E
homesickjameswilliamson
adams66
mc
pernil
9 posters
AuthorMessage
pernil

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-09-03

"Spiders" and other early Stooges tunes (?) Empty
PostSubject: "Spiders" and other early Stooges tunes (?)   "Spiders" and other early Stooges tunes (?) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 5:35 pm

Excerpted from unfinished Stooges book project - Per:

Other early Stooges songs that have been mentioned are “Spiders,” “Secret Storm,” and “Piss In Your Face,” although it’s questionable whether they were ever performed, possibly being only ideas that they were working on. Silver says of the songs, “They used to say that they should have a song called ‘Piss In Your Face’ because that was how they felt. What they used to do was to play parody songs that they made up when they were practicing. Those songs completely captured the essence of bands like the Rationals, Bob Seger, Ted Nugent, etc., the other bands around the area. I tried to get them to actually write those songs for the other guys. I think they would have been hits for these other bands. They wouldn’t do it.”
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

Number of posts : 1786
Registration date : 2008-01-20

PostSubject: Re: "Spiders" and other early Stooges tunes (?)   "Spiders" and other early Stooges tunes (?) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 5:38 pm

Per do you know anything about the Rock Opera they wrote very early on called Razors Edge? - Ron mentions it in an interview in the My Girl Hates My Heroin cd.
Back to top Go down
pernil

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-09-03

PostSubject: Re: "Spiders" and other early Stooges tunes (?)   "Spiders" and other early Stooges tunes (?) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 5:47 pm

"The Razor's Edge"...

The band began to string together different musical fragments and sections to create an hour-long instrumental suite, which they called “The Razor’s Edge.” The Who’s 1966 nine-minute “mini-rock opera” “A Quick One While He’s Away” (from A Quick One, originally titled Happy Jack in the US) provided pivotal inspiration, being one of the first attempts at a multi-section epic in rock music. The song was a precursor to the Who leader Pete Townshend’s most ambitious, overarching ideas, realised to the full on Tommy in 1968. “I was really intrigued by the fact that Pete Townshend was talking about this rock opera thing,” explains Ron. “I liked classical and I’m going, ‘Wow, we should do that, one continuous piece of music that changes and changes, and get like an hour’s worth of music.’ That really got us excited. So we started putting together pieces of music. Iggy might sit down at the Farfisa and come up with a simple kind of thing, then I’d follow with my wah-wah’d and fuzz bass, and my brother would do some kind of percussion thing, a modified kind of Bo Diddley beat. We would have different segments. All of a sudden, we’d shift gears and go into a different piece of music.”
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: "Spiders" and other early Stooges tunes (?)   "Spiders" and other early Stooges tunes (?) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 6:03 pm

Cheers for that! suppose no hope it was recorded?
Back to top Go down
adams66

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2007-05-09

PostSubject: Re: "Spiders" and other early Stooges tunes (?)   "Spiders" and other early Stooges tunes (?) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 6:24 pm

It would be amazing to hear some of this really early 1967 / 1968 Stooges material, with their home made instruments and that all out experimental avant garde vibe.
But, unless Ron is hiding some tapes, I would seriously doubt that anything exists.
Hey, someone prove me wrong! Please!
Cheers,
Richard
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

Number of posts : 3439
Registration date : 2007-07-07

PostSubject: Re: "Spiders" and other early Stooges tunes (?)   "Spiders" and other early Stooges tunes (?) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 7:28 pm

waow, didnt know about that, sounds cool, if a bit freaky, love the title tho 'the razors edge' - piss in your face is a great title too!

thanks again for the informatoin Per!
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: "Spiders" and other early Stooges tunes (?)   "Spiders" and other early Stooges tunes (?) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 7:31 pm

I've heard other titles including "I'm Sick" and "Goodby Bozos". There is reportedly a tape of "Asthma Attack" but for the mean time I think the "Dance Of Romance" section of "Ann" is as close to the 1968 Stooges sound as we'll get.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: "Spiders" and other early Stooges tunes (?)   "Spiders" and other early Stooges tunes (?) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 9:29 pm

pernil wrote:
"The Razor's Edge"...

The band began to string together different musical fragments and sections to create an hour-long instrumental suite, which they called “The Razor’s Edge.” The Who’s 1966 nine-minute “mini-rock opera” “A Quick One While He’s Away” (from A Quick One, originally titled Happy Jack in the US) provided pivotal inspiration, being one of the first attempts at a multi-section epic in rock music. The song was a precursor to the Who leader Pete Townshend’s most ambitious, overarching ideas, realised to the full on Tommy in 1968. “I was really intrigued by the fact that Pete Townshend was talking about this rock opera thing,” explains Ron. “I liked classical and I’m going, ‘Wow, we should do that, one continuous piece of music that changes and changes, and get like an hour’s worth of music.’ That really got us excited. So we started putting together pieces of music. Iggy might sit down at the Farfisa and come up with a simple kind of thing, then I’d follow with my wah-wah’d and fuzz bass, and my brother would do some kind of percussion thing, a modified kind of Bo Diddley beat. We would have different segments. All of a sudden, we’d shift gears and go into a different piece of music.”

thanks for this info Per!! always wondered about this 'rock -opera' since I'd vaguely heard about it
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: !   "Spiders" and other early Stooges tunes (?) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 05, 2008 10:07 pm

pernil wrote:
Excerpted from unfinished Stooges book project - Per:

Other early Stooges songs that have been mentioned are “Spiders,” “Secret Storm,” and “Piss In Your Face,” although it’s questionable whether they were ever performed, possibly being only ideas that they were working on. Silver says of the songs, “They used to say that they should have a song called ‘Piss In Your Face’ because that was how they felt. What they used to do was to play parody songs that they made up when they were practicing. Those songs completely captured the essence of bands like the Rationals, Bob Seger, Ted Nugent, etc., the other bands around the area. I tried to get them to actually write those songs for the other guys. I think they would have been hits for these other bands. They wouldn’t do it.”

would've been fun to hear those!
Back to top Go down
Angusyd van Hyman

Angusyd van Hyman

Number of posts : 264
Registration date : 2008-02-12

PostSubject: Re: "Spiders" and other early Stooges tunes (?)   "Spiders" and other early Stooges tunes (?) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 10:53 pm

Something related to early tapes :
"I gave a tape with recordings to Danny Fields, I hope he sttill has it. I've heard rumors that it was on eBay - I hope it's not true."

Ron, March 2007
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: "Spiders" and other early Stooges tunes (?)   "Spiders" and other early Stooges tunes (?) Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 10:57 pm

waow, hope danny's a hoarder and has kept all these wonderful recordings
Back to top Go down
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES
Street Walkin Cheetah
JESUS_LOVES_THE_STOOGES

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2007-03-05

PostSubject: Re: "Spiders" and other early Stooges tunes (?)   "Spiders" and other early Stooges tunes (?) Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 12:32 am

I hope Danny's a hoarder, yes. But not too much... because I DO want them released someday soon Wink
Back to top Go down
mc

mc

PostSubject: Re: "Spiders" and other early Stooges tunes (?)   "Spiders" and other early Stooges tunes (?) Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 1:16 am

Angusyd van Hyman wrote:
"I gave a tape with recordings to Danny Fields, I hope he sttill has it. I've heard rumors that it was on eBay - I hope it's not true."

Ron, March 2007

Angusyd does this quote refer to any specifc year of recordings? If it really was on Ebay I'd hope Iggy Fan has it - you buy every bit of interesting Stooges and Iggy stuff on there i've noticeed IF Smile

And yes I do hear that Danny is becoming quite philanthropic these days, so I'm sure what he has will make it out sometime. Cool
Back to top Go down
homesickjameswilliamson
Modern Guy, Modern Guy
homesickjameswilliamson

PostSubject: Re: "Spiders" and other early Stooges tunes (?)   "Spiders" and other early Stooges tunes (?) Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 1:23 am

he'll have to, amean i dunno, maybe if he bought them all for staggering amounts of money, then i might keep a hold of them, but i would just buy it, and either try my damnest to get it out on CD and if that didnt work i'd just post it online, i hate that hoardy jewish nature about bootlegs and stuff, i cant do that, if i have nething stooges related thats unseen or unheard u can bet i'd'v posted it! lol

oh noble me, eh? haha, it sounds stupid i guess, ah well, but yeh hope this stuff comes out b4 im an old man, actually i dont care, as long as im alive! lol

and then heaven, which is sitting in the crowd at unganos!
Back to top Go down
neven

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-06-07

PostSubject: Re: "Spiders" and other early Stooges tunes (?)   "Spiders" and other early Stooges tunes (?) Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2008 2:03 pm

Angusyd van Hyman wrote:

Ron, March 2007

danny fields sold in 2003or2004 the first album outtakes(most of them released on the 2xcd version of the first lp)uganos,lots of doors stuff and who knows what else (like 1971 recordings)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Spiders" and other early Stooges tunes (?)   "Spiders" and other early Stooges tunes (?) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Spiders" and other early Stooges tunes (?)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Stooges Forum :: Stooges Main. :: Jesus Loves the Stooges.-
Jump to: