Stooges Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stooges Forum

Welcome to the Fun House

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Claiming credit... the Fun House tunes

Go down 
+2
Paul T
pernil
6 posters
AuthorMessage
pernil

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2008-09-03

Claiming credit... the Fun House tunes Empty
PostSubject: Claiming credit... the Fun House tunes   Claiming credit... the Fun House tunes Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 9:36 am

Who did what? Iggy vs. Ron re. Fun House songwriting

Iggy has claimed that he composed all the Fun House tracks except for the riff for “TV Eye,” “I wrote that record almost entirely on my own. The only thing that Ron came up with was the riff to ‘TV Eye.’ The rest was all mine. The Ashetons were simply not as hard-working as me and as we got more gigs, they wrote less and less.” Ron refutes Iggy’s claims, saying that the album was essentially a collaboration between himself and Iggy, but also with important contributions by Dave Alexander, “Fun House was sitting in my room and the basic foundation was coming up with a chord riff. ‘Iggy come down here.’ He’d pop his head in, ‘I hear something I like…’ I’d be sitting in my apartment in the band house. He’d say, ‘That sounds cool, why don’t you work around those lines.’ Or I’d say, ‘Hey, listen to this,’ and we’d both digest it or he’d say, ‘Maybe… turn that around.’ He helped out with arranging it. He always claims that he wrote a lot of the stuff, but it’s really not true because he couldn’t play. We got him a guitar. He was an integral and important part of putting all the music together, of course. Because he’s no dummy. He did write the lyrics. Mostly, I would come up with riffs and then the middle-eight or certain choruses, and he had suggestions. He’d play minimally. He’d say, ‘I can only play it with one note but listen to this.’ We did collaborate an awfully lot together. ‘Dirt’ was Dave Alexander’s riff. We’d get together and practice would always start out with a jam. We’d go over pieces. ‘Fun House’ was also Dave’s riff. He came up with those and we built on them. That’s how the tunes came about: jam sessions and me sitting there playing and Iggy going, ‘I like that.’” Meanwhile, Kathy Asheton, Ron and Scott’s younger sister, claims credit for coining the phrase “TV Eye,” “My girlfriends and I developed a code. It was a way for us to communicate with each other if we thought some guy was staring at us. It meant, ‘Twat vibe eye.’”
Back to top Go down
Paul T

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Claiming credit... the Fun House tunes   Claiming credit... the Fun House tunes Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 12:54 pm

We have discussed this before recently...

To be fair, these are the kinds of remarks Iggy makes when he goes off on one. Then if you call him on it he usually backs down. I think he often says one thing in one interview, then the opposite in another, just to be controversial. As we mentioned elsewehre, the only songs he consistently claims - and this is norne out by Ron - is Down On The Street.... or Down on the Beach, as it was first called, in its romantic early version...
Back to top Go down
Gimme some skin

Number of posts : 349
Registration date : 2007-03-10

PostSubject: Re: Claiming credit... the Fun House tunes   Claiming credit... the Fun House tunes Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 5:40 pm

When did this article come out? I thought after the reunion Iggy never talked about this anymore.

Always seemed to me like they just had the perfect 'vibe' in the band. Everyone would contribute and the result would be perfection.
Back to top Go down
G, F#, E
Real O Mind
G, F#, E

Number of posts : 2307
Registration date : 2008-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Claiming credit... the Fun House tunes   Claiming credit... the Fun House tunes Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 6:04 pm

Iggy has commented that Ron would come up with riffs and he would spot them. I think thats pretty much what happened with some input from Dave Alexander.
Back to top Go down
Nadja

Nadja

Number of posts : 2617
Registration date : 2007-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Claiming credit... the Fun House tunes   Claiming credit... the Fun House tunes Icon_minitimeTue Sep 09, 2008 7:47 pm

Paul T wrote:

To be fair, these are the kinds of remarks Iggy makes when he goes off on one. Then if you call him on it he usually backs down. I think he often says one thing in one interview, then the opposite in another, just to be controversial. ...
Laughing
Back to top Go down
the science eel

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Claiming credit... the Fun House tunes   Claiming credit... the Fun House tunes Icon_minitimeSun Sep 28, 2008 7:50 pm

You know what this reminds me of? the miscredits on Bowie's The Man Who Sold The World. DB had very little to do with that album, musically.

Or so it's said by some of his ex-sidemen.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Claiming credit... the Fun House tunes   Claiming credit... the Fun House tunes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Claiming credit... the Fun House tunes
Page 1 of 1